• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What is the most challenging age for cavalier puppies?

bellacherie

I have been trying to find out (breed specifically) when cavaliers test the waters and what the different stages entail as they mature.

At 3 months Bella's hyper personality was in fully swing, and at 5 months it is still going strong, and she seems to have stopped listening to us (except when we have yummy treats).

Does it get more challenging as they get closer to a year old or will she start to mature (settle down)?

According to my dog club, it is commonly around 9 months that most people have problems. That sort of makes sense because this is probably about puberty time. I guess it will depend upon the breed too.

Often times what we think of as the dog as "testing us" is really just a young dog being overly excitable and sometimes not really sure of what we are expecting of them. It helps to think like a dog. :)

Do you think it will have any effect that she is being spayed at 6 months? Will she skip puberty :xfngr:?

Marlon was neutered at 6 1/2 months and still went through a 'teenager' phase around 8-9 months old, where he decided to unlearn (ignore!) everything he'd been taught to do!

His recall went from 100% to 0% so it was back to the lead. He's over a year old now and the recall is back! He's still 100% puppy though, stealing things, running round like a loon, playing with the other dogs and the cats :).

The only one I had , long term problems, with was Teddy and this started at around a year. My springers, typically, went through a mad at around 7 months.

The only one I had , long term problems, with was Teddy and this started at around a year. My springers, typically, went through a mad at around 7 months.

That explains why so many springers seem to end up in rescue around the 7 month-ish age :(

I have to agree that the 7 months to a year is the most challenging. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are neutered or not.

Add me to the 7 months to 12 months old list too! If any of mine are going to go "nutty" for a while that's the age they do it at!! when you consider that a dog develops in 9 months the equivalant of a human baby to a 13 year old and I think you can certainly say they are at that awkward teenage stage!! Boy I would NEVER want to go through my teens again!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Me too, once then get past the 13 month mark they seem to magically chill out and settle down. which reminds me..... Penny has a good 11 months to go lol

I don't really think this is breed specific. The developmental stages for puppies are all similar. I think saying any phase is more 'difficult' than another really depends on the owner :lol: -- eg what the PEOPLE think is difficult to manage. I'd say the whole housetraining phase is the most difficult, personally. I've never had much problem at all with behaviour or found the puppy's demeanour difficult, at any phase.

These should be helpful in understanding developmental stages and what you as the owner need to be doing during each stage :):

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

http://deesdogs.com/documents/dogsocialization.pdf

Me too, once then get past the 13 month mark they seem to magically chill out and settle down. which reminds me..... Penny has a good 11 months to go lol

Hmm maybe we better tell my Tri Cherry that, she's 6 now and still as mad as a hatter, in a nice excited way though, nothing unmanagable! By comparison her Blenheim litter sister Rosie is the epitomy of a calm, collected lady, mind you if you rolled the 2 together you'd get their wonderful late Blenheim Momma, Charm! :lol: :lol:

Back