• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The chewers and the collectors...

Ashley

So who's dog has chewed something really really important? Or who's dog likes to collect certain items in the house?

Im asking because my little Holly has chewed her ONLY harness... and it is ruined. My fault really as I left it on the hall floor! She has always hated her harness... and I use it if we are on longer walks than the local ones (where there are no roads so she is generally off lead). I think she saw her opportunity and grabbed it with both hands (paws) and unfortunately teeth!

As for collecting things... my wee Murphy LOVES socks and pants!!! He never fails to find a pair of my pants if we have visitors (our bedroom door is always closed now as he can open my underwear drawer :eek:). I have no idea! Men eh?! I was just tidying the spare room where their crates are, and there were numerous socks planted around the room (behind a vase, under the sofabed, behind my desk! :rolleyes:).

Always an ice-breaker when there are new folk round and your lovely little dog comes running in with a pair of knickers in his mouth! LOL :eek:

So tell me your wee stories of the chewers and the collectors? :D

Anastaisa also goes for underwear. and my older cocker taught her how much fun tissue and trash paper is. when she was younger she loved my shoes. and my cell phone. and my cell phone charger. she doesn't do much now that she's a bit older.

Ollie loves to chew my shoes- but only when we're not home. My husband told me today that Ollie was sleeping with his head inside one of my shoes the whole time I was gone! ;) I honestly think he can smell "me" most strongly on my shoes and it makes him feel close to me when I'm not there.

Casey is infatuated with all things paper- toilet paper, magazines, art projects, especially kleenex! :eek:

Rex is a sock monster - he gets as excited about socks as he does when he's getting a treat!!! Since we got him we've bought a LOT of new socks!!!!

When he was younger he chewed EVERYTHING he could get his teeth into-The expensive chews were a laptop charger, microphone lead, numerous cables and carpet :rolleyes:

Now he loves tissue (which has to be ripped up into as many pieces possible and spread as far apart as he can manage), socks and his lead when he gets his paws on it.

So, not a Cavalier but Chickabee has selective chewing and only chews the tips of shoelaces-all shoes get put up on anything handy (ingrained habit) so imagine my icon_blshing at the Dr's office when nurse comes in and looks at my shoes ( on chair ) icon_whistling They really change your habits, don't they

My two love chewing any new furniture item that comes into the house :yuk:
saves me having to use a security marker :badgrin::badgrin:

The only things of value that my lot have eaten were items belonging to themselves, mostly new beds and toys. Gavin went through a phase of eating collars and harnesses straight off Cody :eek: They've never touched furniture etc apart from a bit of scratching on a door and a row of teeth marks at the top of the stairs from the Gavins first meeting with a new pet gate on the landing:D Abigail has gotten a couple of socks but that's about as bad as it gets!

I doubt I'd cope with a 4 or 5 month old puppy in full chew mode :)

My Alex, a rescue came with his harness that was his security blanket that he had chewed up to hardly anything. The 1st month or so he carried it everywhere with him. Now it just sits in his cage which he hardly ever uses, just goes and sits in it sometimes. It is like he visits it each night to see if it is still there with a couple of toys he came with and then jumps on the bed to sleep. Kind of sad in a way that someone would put him in such a position that he has these insecurities. Hopefully in time he won't feel the need to revisit them.

Jane

The post is very popular for chewing up in my house, its a mad rush to collect the letters when they come in the letterbox, not that I mind the bills being chewed up :), but recently I had to rescue a pair of airline tickets :rolleyes: for my holidays.

Raiding wastepaper baskets is another favourite in our house, and collecting and chewing the inside of toilet rolls :)

This thread is enlightening in a way. Chloe is such a great dog,
she was fairly eaisy to train. BUT I can't stop her from raiding the
bathroom wastecan. She loves to eat tissues, I've tried everything
to train her otherwise, she'll listen if I catch her, but if she gets the
opportunity, she's eating tissues, and cardboad is another favoriteicon_nwunsure
We still use a babygate in the hallway of our house so every now
and then I open the gate and give it a shot to try to teach her not to eat
tissues, but she just LOVES them, snot and all.:yuk:

Crystal is a pain for chewing shoes so far to date she's destroyed about 8 pairs of my shoes, and as for collecting, basically its anything that she can get her paws on, socks, pants, bra's, loo roll (with or with out paper on it!) i could go on for ages!

Bella LOVES to chew up shoes. She has chewed 4 pairs in the last month! She also loves to chew electrical cords. She chewed through 6 cords to the computer in one day! Obviously, once we had gotten replacement cords, we had to contain them in a cord saver. She is only 8 months old, so I know we have a little while longer to go through the chewing stage. We are just way more careful these days to not leave things out! She is very sneeky! But how do you get mad with those sweet brown eyes looking at you? I just love her to pieces!:eek:

Holly is not a chewer, unless Amber looks like she's having too much fun. She likes collecting toys but then just puts her head on the heap and goes to sleep.

Amber.... hum, yes. She tried to chew one of my hearing aids once - I'd left it on a low table. Luckily I got it back before she did more than dent the case a little, especially when you consider how small HA batteries are!! Now if it's at all chewable I make sure to put it up high, and even then ensure that little Miss I.Q. can't somehow work out how to get to it.

Gabby always chews my right shoe, not the left shoe, believe it or not:) whether the smell of my right shoe is more appealing then the left, or maybe she's the first dog to know her left from her right:D.
She's also chewed the lead of my daughters laptop, I wasn't to pleased with her. (but the lead was fixed)

Our Rosie picks up her food dish in her mouth and carrys it off to eat in private. Completely self taught, the problem is she spills a fair bit on the way :)

Marlon is a professional shoe re-designer, but he insists on only re-designing one out of each pair!

He tiptoes into the room and when he thinks you're not looking, he quietly picks up a shoe and tiptoes out of sight. Next thing we hear a tremendous noise as he runs as fast as he can to his crate.

We call his crate his 'bedroom' and have to raid his bedroom to reclaim all the things he's 'borrowed'. It's not just shoes; it can certainly be bra's or knickers, but he's not bothered by socks. :). If he has a stealing frenzy, sometimes he has to put his collectables just outside his crate door - we call that his verandah! :)

Haley loves to chew on nylabones and rope type toys. She loves to empty the laundry basket and surround herself with all of the clothes she retrieves. She does not chew them etc... just surrounds herself with them clean or dirty, she does not care. Gotta love them....:)

Armani just got done chewing my hubby's new shorts! :eek: Hubby only wore them once, yesterday, didn't hang them up. I guess I could always put a big patch and he can wear them while working outside!
Armani has also chewed hubby's cell phone shortly after we had gotten him. He is quite the chewer.
Tracer now, he is the shoe chewer. Many flipflops have been thrown the past two summers! :eek: Good thing they are cheap!

I've had such a good laugh at all these responses! Thanks guys!

The funny thing is, its always been Jack Russell Terriers we've owned and none of them ever did anything like this. So it was all new when I started to notice the compulsive gathering, chewing and collecting of certain items!

Forgot to say... they both love to chew towels as well.

Oh, and I lost another bra to the jaws of Murphy today... he came running in with it on his head!!!!! I was laughing too much to scold! Should have taken a picture! He always chews the little 'strap adjusting' bits on the straps so the whole strap comes loose!!!! :rolleyes: I think I need to transfer my undies to a higher drawer! lol.

Back