advice on Gabapentin
Annie was prescribed 0.7 ml of gabapentin 2x a day - liquid form. Her first dose she threw up most of it about 15 minutes after taking. I tried again tonight and she threw up some, but not as much.
Does anyone have any advice? I thought I read somewhere that the liquid form had something toxic in it for dogs, but am not sure. The neurologist's office is closed until Monday.
WARNING: The liquid form of Gabapentyn has xylitol in it and is toxic to dogs.
"The current commercial formulation of liquid oral Gabapentin suspension contains xylitol, which may be associated with potentially severe and/or fatal complications in dogs and cats, report Drs. Pierre S. Bichsel, DVM1 MS and Ronald ..."
"The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' Animal Poison Control Center is warning veterinarians, their staff, and pet owners that the xylitol—a sweetener found in some sugar-free chewing gums, candies, and other products can cause serious—possibly life-threatening problems for dogs."
I hope you see this, I'm very worried you get this in time.
If I were you I would call the emergency vet and explain the situation. If Annie has ingested Xylitol she needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible.
Thank goodness I see you're online now. Have been worried.
Thanks for the warning - I gave Annie a dose Wed. night and she threw it up immediately - I have not given her anymore since that time and she seems fine. I just called my regular vet and will be taking her in this morning. Based on how much she threw up I am deeply concerned, but not panicked as not much is really in her system.
I am FURIOUS that a nuerologist office would prescribe this in the first place. Had she not thrown up I would have continued the medication and she would be in trouble right now. The allergy medicine was controlling the symptoms just fine - but the neurologist felt that long term gabapentin is better long term. The neurologist office is closed until Monday and I will be calling them first thing in the AM. I will watch her carefully for any symptoms - as of this morning she seems fine except the scratching is back with no medications. I guess is it just like people, you have to research carefully and trust no one but yourself.
Thanks goodness for this board and the help and experience.
Oh and I intend to DEMAND my money back on the very expensive medication as it is unsafe for my dog. Now I am distrustful of the neurologist and don't know what to do......... but she was very knowedgable of the disease, very informed and very likable. I will speak only to her about the medication - not her staff. I will report back on the results. This is so hard and frustrating.
I have noticed one thing since giving Annie the allergy mediciation - her scratching went down to almost nothing and now for the first time she is jumping up on furniture.
Was she MRIed to diagnose SM? The dry capsule form of Gabapentin is ok for dogs but of course there may be some dogs who it does not agree with.
Martha, where did you get the prescription filled? Could a compounding pharmacist have made up a special mixture for your dog? If so, the liquid probably doesn't have Xylitol.
Martha, what is the allergy medication? Does it contain Prednisone? If so, it would improve her SM symptoms.
I don't see that there would be any reason to make it into a liquid for a dog, these capsules are easy to administer, I just wrap the capsule in a tiny bit of ham.