Free MRI for "study"
We are waiting for an MRI date for Leo at the moment. The vet called today to tell me that she has been incontact with a vet who is looking for cavaliers with SM at the moment as he is doing a study on the disease. If I agree to Leo being part of the study he will MRI Leo for free.
I have said I want to know more about the study before I agree.
Any thoughts anyone?
Im just waiting for him to contact me to discuss more.
Hi Mel, I'd ask what is he studying? Is it a drug trial? What is the drug? Will the drug be paid for? Has this drug been used before for SM? What are the risks? Where is this vet based? Is this a full scan? But you know me! I ask a LOT of questions and I am Leo's auntie so I do worry about him :rolleyes:
Great advice. I will not go into this with my eyes closed. Leo is the important one here and I have to know he wont suffer in anyway.
I'll keep you posted.
Love and hugs to Dylan from Auntie Mel XX
I know I must have asked you before Mel, but is Leo insured? If he is and the free scan isn't the issue, I'd be hesitant to take part in a trail if there might be any risk involved.
Leo is insured. Im going to chase the vets as Ive heard nothing since wednesday.
I'll contact my insurance to see where I stand with the MRI and if they'll pay I'll contact Cambridge myself.
There are some good studies going on that this may be part of. Once you get more info drop me a PM and I can check it out or possibly tell you more about what it is for. I think this is probably one of the drug trials. This was supported by the key researchers and is a good opportunity for an MRI and other associated testing, if so.
I was talking to my vet about SM today. I know they are good vets but as I only recently changed vets I wanted to know what his knowledge was in regards to SM. He mentioned trails to do with the RCVS and that they are very good and worth looking into if you have got a dog with SM.
I still havent heard and called my vet yesterday to chase things along. She wasnt at work yesterday but ive left a message for her to call me Monday. In the mean time I called my insurance who have said they would cover the cost of an MRI. When I know more about the study I'll contact Karlin and discuss a few things before deciding which rout to follow.
Thanks again Mel x