Should A Pet Owner Scan
Even though I live local to Chestergates I have decided not to have my four scanned ,it is not anything to do with cost it is really just my own outlook on life .I have always tended to view all things in life that I will face up to any problems as and when they may or may not develop ,so with regard to my beloved Cavaliers they are as now all fit and well and all insured and to my knowledge lack for nothing and as I have no intention whatsoever to breed/show I personally cant see any point in them having scans which possibly may reasult in unwellcome news .
So whats the opinion of other members should one scan and then possibly be aware of any problems that may be there and then be better able to care and look out for them ,or do what I prefer to do face things as and when they may happen but of course always keep a watchful eye on them all as thanks to this forum and members we now far more aware of what to watch for .
No brian, id leave well alone unless youve a concern, just thank goodness you are in that situation and long may it last, happy christmas to you and your family plus all 4 cavs, would you recommend 4. di
And Happy Hols to you Di,yes I would reccommend 5 if I could ,I have been working on Dawn to catnap Big Ginge but so far no luck ,and as far as scanning goes I am staying well away unless . :)
It's purely a personal choice Brian.
If you have no reason to suspect any problems then there is no need to scan.
I had a number of reasons for scanning a pet.Daisy is an interesting cavalier,her sire is 11 and her g/sire was born in 1991 and she goes very quickly back to old Irish and UK lines.So my scientific curiosity got the better of me....
Also not many Irish cavaliers have been scanned and her dam's line is no more following the passing of a well known breeder a few years ago.
The positives of scanning a pet before they become symptomatic:
If the syrinx is small,early intervention with diuretics may help stabilise the syrinx and give you more options than managing a symptomatic dog later on as damage may have been done.
You also have a baseline scan to measure against to see if things deteriorate.
You can contribute to the EBV scheme,give DNA even if your pet is clear.
You never know who has a dog that may be of special interest to researchers.
Yes you need to be made of tough stuff to handle things emotionally if you voluntarily choose to open pandora's box for yourself.
It will also force decisions upon you that you may not be prepared to make......i.e spay/neuter or medication choices.
The contribution of a pet owner who may own maybe six to ten cavaliers over a decade can be as valuable a contributor to the EBV scheme as a small breeder.So any pet owner who had scanned and had either a good, a bad,or indifferent result can submit the scan for research.
I think in future we'll see more pet owners scanning at the request of their puppies breeder.
I don't regret my decision to have Daisy scanned.Yes I felt weary and unsettled for a few days afterwards but life goes on.The support is in place, especially on this site to cushion the worst of the upset.Daisy is still the same wonderful girl she was before last Thursday and I'm still the same ol' battleaxe too....
Truthfully Brian,noone will or should pressure you to scan your pet.The low cost scanning schemes are still primarily for breeders who need to screen
their breeding stock,and they're very well attended these days.
I feel like you do Brian. I take mine to the Vet regularly & we are both watching all 3. Other than Leopold's little disc problem that we are staying on top of we are leaving well enough alone. :)
When Molly was diagnosed with sm, even though Dougall did not show any obvious signs apart from some back discomfort. I made the decision to have him scanned. The scan revealed he has cm. Clare Rusbridge has put him on Cimetadine and a mild dose of Previcox. The reason for putting him on the Cimetadine is for preventative measures.
I felt terribly guilty for not getting Molly diagnosed sooner, I was mortified to think she had been suffering for several months and we got everything completely wrong. My main reason for having Dougall scanned is because I had to know so we had a better chance if anything bad developed in the future.
If Molly had not shown any symptons and I did not suspect sm, like you Brian, I would have probably left well alone.
Should pet owners scan ?
To everyone who has a CKCS - Yes, Yes, Yes.
The more you and me scan for SM, plus give mouth swabs and blood - the more data the researchers get and the more credit is given to EBV results etc.
Show specimen dogs are very much in the minority and we, the puplic hold all the trump cards.
By submitting as much information to the researchers, we can all help to ensure that the breed has a future and the puppies of tomorrow are healthier and long lived.
MRI scanning - be it via GA or SEDATION is straight forward and NOT dangerous.
Having been involved with over 150 scans - we have not had a problem other than one or two upset stomachs.
in dk it is not usual to scan for SM, and done only in very few clinics.
i have not considered scanning my girls, for SM or with ultrasound for heart problems.
they will never have offspring, thus will never spread whatever they might have.
should they ever have symptomps, or what i could perceive as symptoms of heart problems or SM i would naturally have them scanned.
to have them scanned shows only what is now, anyway. not what might be there in 1 or a few years time.
Would a scan not show a malformation now which is then a potential for sm as it has with Dougall?
Originally Posted by renate
I had Oliver scanned at age 6 not because he had any symptoms, but because I suspected his pedigree meant he had a high risk of SM. His champion father had produced one other (symptomatic) puppy with SM from a different bitch (which meant he was amost certainly a carrier), and his grandfather and great-grandfather (Margaret C's Monty) had both had SM. I might not have had it done if the Midland Club hadn't offered low price scans at Chestergates - I'm very wary of anaesthetics except in emergencies, so CG's sedating was a bonus. His breeder had already withdrawn his father from stud (and he was never a very fashionable stud dog, thank goodness), but at age 11 felt he was too old to scan (most breeders seem to assume that scans always mean an anaesthetic, an 'invasive technique'; perhaps if more neurologists used sedation, more breeders would scan? You only have one chance to discover your dog is allergic to anaesthetic! Or just tell people how much anaesthetics have improved in the last few years.).
Oliver was scanned again this year at age 8, and his syrinx had doubled in size, though still small. He produced his first minor symptom a couple of months later - but I could recognise it as a symptom and take him back to Chestergates immediately, and know that they are on the end of the phone if I ever need advice. The scan also picked up, of course, that he has seriously dilated ventricles, and this knowledge has helped to explain and deal with one painful episode (light sensitivity) which didn't seem to be a symptom of SM.
I have never used Oliver at stud; I had him scanned to find out the truth - and also to get his results and pedigree into the EBV programme. You don't need to live on tenterhooks all the time watching your dog's every move, but you can move swiftly if symptoms do start. But people are different - if discovering your dog has SM, even if he/she is still the same happy, energetic, asymptomatic dog they were yesterday, is going to cause you great distress, then don't scan until symptoms appear, which may be never.
Kate, Oliver and Aled