• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy more than 10 weeks old?

hi forum,

we decided to get a cavalier last week after our previous dog, which was a german shepherd, died after an operation. my parnter surprised me with it and said that although she never got it from a certified breeder she has met both parents of the pups and she picked the biggest and healthiest lookinf female.

after looking through other puppy pictures on the forum i have become a bit skeptical as to weather she is only 10 weeks of age.

can anyone on here please look at the pictures ive posted in this thread and tell me what they think?

thanks in advance for any help

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

hi, did you not get anything with her to say when she was born?
When i got my first pup i was told she was 10 weeks, boyfriend collected her and forgot to take the paperwork, when it arrived in post we figured out she was only 6 weeks old when we got her.

i am by no means an expert on this and can only go from my own experiences, but my 2 are different sizes Cava is 14 months & Spud is 10 months and Spud is a lot bigger then her.

The pup looks lovely, hope you have the best of luck :hug:

She looks about ten to twelve weeks.I wouldn't think there's any inaccuracy with the age.Some pups can be quite a lapful.:) Just enjoy your new puppy and hope you have many happy years with her.
Sins

hi and thanks for the reply. unfortunetly my partner did not get any papers when she picked our pup up. the cuteness of them clouded here thinking, she fell in love straight away and wanted her in our home asap. the seller assured her they were 9 weeks(10 now) and pedigree but her mother didnt have papers so he couldnt kc register them. she does seem large for her age from looking at puppy pictures on this site. her appetite is huge so im hoping that maybe she just grew larger that way and she has been fed on james wellbeloved puppy food since being weaned(which i believe is a high quality food)

is there any telltale signs, behaviour or development that would indicate her age? i have more pictures on my profile if anyone would like to look and give a rough idea what they think her age is.

thanks in advance

hi and thanks for the reply. unfortunetly my partner did not get any papers when she picked our pup up. the cuteness of them clouded here thinking, she fell in love straight away and wanted her in our home asap. the seller assured her they were 9 weeks(10 now) and pedigree but her mother didnt have papers so he couldnt kc register them. she does seem large for her age from looking at puppy pictures on this site. her appetite is huge so im hoping that maybe she just grew larger that way and she has been fed on james wellbeloved puppy food since being weaned(which i believe is a high quality food)

is there any telltale signs, behaviour or development that would indicate her age? i have more pictures on my profile if anyone would like to look and give a rough idea what they think her age is.

thanks in advance

She looks as if she could be a little older than 10 weeks, but as you have no papers there is no way of checking.

She may just be a large, quick maturing, puppy, but she has lost the baby roundness most pups still have at 10 weeks.

She looks all cavalier, ( prospective puppy buyers should note that a seller can show you any two adult dogs and say they are the parents, but it may not necessarily be true ) and if she has the lovely, playful, happy, cavalier temperament then hopefully you will find that it really doesn't matter whether you were misinformed a little about her age.

She looks as if she is a real sweetie, so just enjoy your baby.

I'd tend to think she might be more between 3-5 months myself -- at least 12 weeks I'd guess, maybe more 14? -- based on size and length of her ears already and that she has lost a puppy face pretty much at this point. But it doesn't really matter :). However the one thing I suppose I'd be worried about is whether you were told she was vaccinated and if you got a vax card and can actually verify she was vaccinated with the named vet. If she is older, she is beyond when her puppy vax should have been started and completed. If you were dealing with someone not entirely honest, such people in my experience often claim to have vaccinated the puppy when they have not. As puppies are very much at risk without vaccinations I'd probably start the whole series over if you have no definite verifiable proof that she was vaccinated. She needs to be kept off the streets and not walked outside the house (except a secure garden) if she isn;t definitely vaccinated and done with her puppy series.

hi karlin

she is due to go in for her vaccinations along with her vet checkup on 2nd september as the vet here said she could not have them before 10-11 weeks and that we needed to have owned the dog for a minimum of 7 days, officially from the seller she should be 10 weeks now but up till now she hasnt had any vaccinations. the furthest she gets is my back yard(chasing bees :)

i agree tho that she could be older than 10 weeks, we have no way of proving that, but im leaning towards the signs that she could be a few weeks older. after studying pictures from this forum and others id say its 50/50 that she could be a little older, around half have said she could be that age depending on how much of an appetite she had when younger etc and size of litter(her mum had 5)

im hoping the vet can give me a definative answer but time will tell. either way shes still my lil baby and ill do anything i can to ensure she has a happy, healthy life

thanks

Hi. I have my first cav puppy as well, I thought it might help you if I put up some pics of Baxter at various ages. Your gorgeous little girl looks quite similar to how Baxter looked at 4 months, similar coat and the length of feathering and ears. Maybe your vet will will able to help with his age when he checks his teeth? Baxter started to lose his baby teeth at 4 1/2 months.

She is beautiful, it's amazing how quickly these little guys steal your heart away. :lotsaluv:

This is Baxter at 11 weeks old, sorry its a bit fuzzy.

3 months. He still has his fluffy puppy coat.

4 months. Coat has become a lot more smooth.

5months

Hope this helps :)

Katie and Baxter

Oops, the pics are really small, not sure what I did wrong but if you click on them you can see them bigger.

Last edited:
She looks a little older than 10 weeks to me. Lovely little girl :)

This was my youngest at 10 weeks (first day we brought him home)

24603_359674183130_708598130_3803255_4761310_n.jpg

this was him at around 5-6 months

37535_413256403130_708598130_4825267_7789124_n.jpg

Seeing as we are sharing comprisons...:p

Ruby at 10 weeks ( I cant get enough of this picture!)

Ruby at 3-4 months

As above

Any excuse for puppy pictures I say!!!!!!

But howeer old your baby is she is beautiful and just enjoy her but I would strongly recommend starting the vacination course again- I did with my rescue at 9 months as we didnt know when his annual booster was due!!!

Congrats on your pup!!

To me she looks more like 4-5 months - my own pup Lucy looked very much like your pup when we got her & she was aprox 5mths (she's a rescue so I dont know her exact age).

I would just say that the breeder is wrong telling you that your dog is pedigree is she gave you no paperwork & because the mother is not KC registered. Your dog is a purebred, meaning from 2 parents of the same breed.

Did the breeder microchip your pup? Breeders in Ireland (I believe) are required to do this before you take the pup. If not this should be done when you take her to the vets for her vaccinations.

When I got my first Cav pup he had had a parvo cav from the breeder but nothing else & when I rand my vet they advised me I should have him a few days before bringing him in for his vaccinations (unless I was worried about him).

Back