• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie not so well

Rj Mac

As some of you will know, last year we adopted Charlie from the Bluecross, he was 12 at the time, and is now fast approaching 13 and a half, when he 1st arrived his MVD had him in pretty rough shape, but with the correct combination of Vetmedin and Prilactone, his heart and chest have been stable for well over the last year, and he's been fighting fit, sometimes to the point of forgetting his own age at times, he's such a playfull lad, and an absolute joy to have in our home,

However we've had a couple of episodes in the last week or so, where we've had to go to the Vets, He has slowed down dramatically in the last week to ten days, to the point, yesterday and Friday, he just used the garden, we never took him on walks with the others, that's when you know he's not well, because even though he's over 13, Charlie still loves a good run and play with the others, he's had a couple of episodes with shakes, where he has fallen, or misplaced steps when walking,

Our Vet has taken blood, for tests, and we'l be back next week, but he's happy enough that Charlie is in no pain or discomfort as such,and is happy for him to be at home for us to keep a close eye, it's been a difficult thing to pin point as through the last week there's been a day or 2 where he's bright as ever again, and the next morning, slower again, I hope it's only old age, and he's having some days brighter than others, and there's nothing sinister going on, but i'm also realistic enough to acknowledge Charlies age, and we will not allow him to suffer, but it's so hard to think about what might or might not happen,

Charlie is one of those dogs that just make you happy, and brighten up your whole existence just by being in the same room, his tail is always wagging, he's happy to see everyone,and i mean everyone, loves a cuddle and a kiss,he is everything that is good about Cavaliers and well dogs really, a true priveledge to have been allowed to adopt.

I'm sorry i've waffled on so long, just thinking "out loud" so to speak

R.

Oh that's not waffling at all -- we all love to hear about him and the detail helps to get an idea of what you are dealing with plus it is good to talk about it when you are worried. He sounds such a lovely dog and know he has had such a great time with your family (dogs and people! :D). It can be hard to know what is going on as they get to such an age and also with serious heart disease -- what a tribute that he has done so well for so long. Is he on fortekor and frusemide as well? Usually they do frusemide before or in addition to prilactone and fortekor as well.

I love your description of Charlie. That is the definition of a real cavalier and the reason why we love these dogs so much.
What a marvellous partnership you have had with Charlie, and so wonderful that you found each other.

Whenever old age and illness catch up with our cavaliers, it is always too soon.
It is hard when you start seeing things that they have done effortlessly begin to slip away. A rather hurtful reminder that nothing lasts forever.

My two oldest, Tommy & Fonzi are both becoming unsteady on their feet and I find it really painful to contemplate not having them around. I just hope they will be creaking gates that will go on for years longer.

I hope the same for Charlie

Ryan I'm so sad to read this :( Thank you for sharing Charlie with us in your photos and stories about him, he has become very special to us too x

Charlie has been doing so amazingly well - a tribute to your love and care. When he came to you, I think none of us expected him to have a long time with you, he was in such a poor state, so it's fantastic that he has already had so many happy, loved days.

We truly hope that the results do not show anything sinister, and that he is just having some off days.

You are all in our thoughts, please keep us posted and know that we will be with you whatever happens over the next few weeks and months.

Thankyou for your kind wishes folks,

Today has not been a good day, very subdued and iffy balance,very shaky on his feet, but he's eaten a little this evening, and been out in the garden for his business, and is tucked up in his basket next to the girls, we're just taking things daily at the minute, and are due back at the vets on Tuesday, but we may call 1st thing to see if we can get an appointment in the morning, but we'l see how he is through the night first,

R.

Sorry to read this about Charlie. My Sydney is 11 yrs and suffers from severe MVD so I understand how hard it is to watch them having a bad day. I'll be sure to keep you all in my prayers. Please let us know how you make out at the vets.

Oh these wonderful senior dogs.......they keep plodding on, and when they have something to complicate old age issues, it makes it that much harder. Hearing about Charlie reminds me of my dear senior dog who went to the bridge the beginning of July.

As long as Charlie is happy, eating, drinking and doing his business, it is what it is, and you take one day at a time.

Do let us know what the Vet says.

Wishing you well for your appointment tomorrow, do hope Charlie can be made more comfortable and be with you for a while longer.

Thankyou all once again for you thoughts and good wishes,

Charlie has been to the vets today, and she says that she is positive he's had a secondary stroke over the weekend,after a first last week, causing his balance problems, and affecting his appetite and well being, however the difference in the last 24 hours is remarkable, i felt this time last night, we might be preparing for the worst, as he was barley lifting his head off the floor,very listless,no appetite for anything, today tho - different story, he's up and about , eaten both breakfast this morning, and dinner tonight,still a little unsteady but up and about all the same, so he's home, and stable, we've been told, it could happen again, and maybe worse, or maybe never, but for now he's stable and content x

R.

Glad Charlie is doing better today.....poor dear. But aren't these cavaliers such brave little troopers! They always seem to rebound when we least expect it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of and praying for ye too. I also love your description of Charlie, such a fine example of the personality of the breed, and as you mentioned, of dogs in general. We all love a waggy tail and hope Charlie keeps on a-waggin a bit longer!:lotsaluv:

Fantastic news Ryan!! Well not about the stroke obviously :( but it's given you the answer you were seeking, and hopefully he will keep well for a long time yet.

Back