Back from Stone Lion....
Wow, what a long, long day. Left home at 7am, faced with a closure on the M25 at Jnt 5 I wasn't looking forward to the journey and got there in around 2.5 hours. Not late though so that was a miracle!
So on to the little guy, he is beyond asleep- comatosed is the word I would use!
First consultation and Clare did her normal tests, he is very sensitive around his neck (literally just below his skull) didn't like the pressure at all and also at the base of his spine but no sensitivity in between.
Clare was running a low cost scanning day and to be honest I tried not to talk to anyone there, don't know why- I just didn't want to. So she had a busy day and didn't pick him up untill 4.30pm, she hasn't had a chance to have an indepth look at his scan pictures as yet but from first glance not much has changed.
He has a degree of deterioration of the spinal chord around C2 and his ventricles are still the same as before but no obvious syrinx. A cross section at C2 shows something so I will wait and here her report.
We have decided to start him on a non-steroidal for 4 weeks and assess his symptoms alongside it.
All in all it isn't terrible and certainly not as bad as I thought at this point but will wait and see Clares report before relaxing!
Thanks for all your wishes and for making me feel not so alone today!! Its a great comfort knowing you are all here for us at these nerve wrecking times!
Originally Posted by Karen and Ruby
His feet are really cold! Is that normal???
Shall I wrap him up to warm him up??
Sounds pretty good news about the scan, relieved for you :) HOpefully you will have Clare's report soon and that will give you more comprehensive information.
The anaesthetic itself can cause issues for animals regulating their temperature. [they wouldn't let me have Teddy back after an anaesthetic one time for quite a while, as they couldn't get him warm :(]
Keep him warm and quiet. Move his bed close to a heater. Keep movement and exercise to a minimum - not that he will want to play or go for a run. Make sure water is within reach, so he doesn't have to get up. Make sure he does eat a wee bit, something bland, I always find they feel better after a small meal, so even if you have to hand feed him, or give him special treats, do so.
If you are really worried then 'phone your vet.
He had some chicken and mashed sweet potato when we got home- Ive given him his hot water bottle and he is sleeping soundly on my pillow under my fluffy dressing gown!
Ruby is just as shattered- she normally sleeps close to 20 hours a day so being out and about for 12 hours today has taken it out of her!! Although we did spend much of the day sitting outside Costa and she spent most of that curled up on my lap :rolleyes:
Glad to hear that you are back home after your exhausting day, have been thinking about you today.
Sounds like things went well, I'm sure Clare will get the results to you as soon as she can. She must have had a really busy day if it was a low cost scanning day.
Keep Charlie warm and quiet for the rest of today and I'm sure tomorrow he will be back to normal - give him a big hug from us all.
I'm due to take Minnie for her follow-up MRI scan, but at the moment keep putting it off as she is doing so well.
Hope you all get a good nights sleep - poor Ruby sounds as if she will need to catch up on her zzzzzzzz's as well.:)
Poor baby Charlie. He's had a rough day. Anesthesia certainly takes a lot out of them. I couldn't pick Riley up right away after her scan either (like Teddy). She had to stay for hours until she was stable enough to go home.
I hope the non-steroidal gives Charlie some relief. What is it?
Hugs and kisses to both Ruby and Charlie. Hope you all get a good night's sleep.
We decided on Metacam, A- he has had it before and it doesn't cause him any upsets and B- I have it in the house anyway for Ruby so it is convenient.
I do think it worth mentioning that I asked Clare whether she thinks giving Charlie cimetidine at an early age has meant that he hasn't developed SM yet.
She said its hard to know either way as he maay not have been destined to get it anyway. He started on Cimetidine at 14 months old and is very nearly 3 now. WOuld he have SM if I hadn't intervened early?? Who knows!
She said unless you do a comprehensive study over many different dogs, involving many different researchers and facilities and got all dogs at the same point of progression then gave half of them a CSF inhibitor and with held the other half and waited, that we would never know- and what owner is willing to risk the chance of getting SM because of a research study??
However, if Charlie was there as part of the low cost scheme she would be grading him as A, he is over the age of 2.5 and at first glance free from SM. If it wasn't for his heart and scruffy looks, oh and the fact that he lost his furry plums a while back, he could be bred from. But he is in pain.
According to Clare, he had a much better scan than many she sees through the scheme from "asymptomatic" (so she's told) dogs. She did say that with a hint of sarcasm.
Of course we should be applauding these breeders for coming to the low cost scanning days but if the ones that are actually makig the effort to scan and have some knowledge of the problem aren't noticing the signs of symptoms then that leaves no hope for the ones that aren't scanning under the pretence of "i've never witnessed it in my lines"!!!
he still will be managed for his symptoms but Clare siad that if he hasn't developed SM at this age that he more than likely won't- if he does then it probably won't reach a width of more than 3-4mm. Compared to the 6-7mm that Ruby had at her scan, that has to be good news.
Of course we had the surgery conversation again but she could tell by my reaction that it would never be an option for me! At the end of the day- whats the point of surgery in a dog thats heart is as bad as his!!
Clare still asks me every time she sees him "how can a 2 year old dog have a heart this bad??!!"
But like Margaret said on an earlier post about her dog who sadly dropped dead suddenly at 5 years with no prior deterioration of the heart, I personally think this will probably be what happens to Charlie- hopefully he'll be doing something he loves like chasing a rabbit or doing an agility course or something!!
But enough of the morbid thoughts!!!
I hope you sleep well tonight!
What a long and stressful day you've had. How is he now? Still groggy or back to his usual self?
Originally Posted by sins
Still ery sleepy but did just bark at a dog on the TV so must be feeling a bit better!! He has warmed up a bit aswell now which is good!!!
I give Metacam to Oliver whenever he needs it for his hips. I just keep it in the house. He has never had any problems with it and it really works well for him for pain relief. I give it to him freely until he doesn't seem to need it anymore. His orthopedic doctor has told me that it's fine to do it that way.
Interesting thought about the CSF inhibitor - but Clare's right. There's no way to do a randomized controlled trial. I wouldn't consent to that with my dog.
Have a good rest tonight.