I am so sorry you are going through this. I know all too well what it's like to have a cavalier that loves fabric. This thread has brought back memories because I had a cavalier that was not as fortunate. I am telling you this to keep it in mind and not to upset you. My girl Ella was at my parent's beach house one weekend and long story short she had an obstruction. It took some time to find out what it was because it did not show up on an x-ray. I re-read the thread today to remember but they had to do surgery and found a string wrapped around her intestines. Don't know where the string came from. They had to remove 70% of her intestine. I put her to sleep because of several reasons including she had very severe SM but it would have been hard for a healthy dog. Ella was 5 years old and never grew out of the fabric eating. Unfortunately, we had been to the vet before because of an obstruction.
I found some articles and don't know how good they are but wanted to share. I know you are watching and doing everything you can but obstructions can get serious and you may want to know warning signs if you have a habitual chewer of fabric. I would talk to your vet and see if he/she has any ideas mainly.
Please know that I have been thinking of you.
So glad he is OK. You are doing all the right things. :D The class in July will be a lot of fun for you both! The instructor can I am sure give you some helpful tips too. :)
Thanks Anne for sharing your personal story. I know how hard the memories are, but personal stories really do help people and bring a lot of insight. Sometimes when we have sad stories or experiences I think it helps to know that they can at least help others. :flwr:
Good to hear he's okay. They do like to panic us but getting into things they shouldn't :)
My worst was Leo getting up on a table and eating the top inch or so off a large brack (Irish bread with lots and lots of... raisins :yikes). I normally never leave anything like that in reach of the dogs but my neighbour 'pays' me for walking his dog in things like bracks (which I give way; I cannot eat all the stuff he gives me!) and I had it on the table to take to someone.
Next thing I find Leo on the table, stuffed full of brack. I had to rush him to my vets, who stayed open for him to arrive on a Sunday, and then he had to have an injection to make him bring it all back up as I just was not going to take the risk of all those raisins. It took him ages to have it come up -- had to sit with him in an exam room and my vet kept popping in to see if anything was happening. Leo just sat there! Funny in retrospect but scary at the time. In the end I was so glad I took him in as there were lots and lots of raisins when eventually the bread made a reappearance. :rolleyes: I wasn't certain how many he might have eaten at the time but when I saw how many he had hoovered up, I was relieved I'd gone to the vet.
A friend ended up with four dogs in the emergency vets at Christmas when a visiting dog she was minding figured out how to open the door from the kitchen and the dogs got into Christmas chocolate including a huge bar of dark Cadbury's. :yikes She was very lucky -- the one who had eaten the most was in for several days and his heart rate was up at a phenomenal level for a while but he and the others survived.
Even the most careful supervision can sometimes not be enough to prevent a scary incident.
When I was a kid my parents had a small dog actually figure out a way to the top of the fridge to eat our Halloween candy!!! We still talk about it us kids were mad stupid dog. My Mother spend the night with him at the ER vet's, thankfully the dog lived mostly so us kids could tell him we were mad about losing our candy. After that my parents starting crating the dog/dogs when we weren't home. And us kids turned the crates into playhouses a lot we always wondered why the dogs won't stay out...