I would tend to agree...I think a short visit to the Vet would be best as well. She may have only have a slight sprain...but at least you will have some assurance that it isn't anything really serious..and be able to enjoy your vacation ( or "holiday" as you say ~*wink*)
Sounds as if she may have pulled a muscle in her shoulder and it gets stiff while she's resting, then takes a minute or two to get moving again. I would have thought if it was something in her paw it would hurt whenever she put weight on it. I would see the vet, who might give you some metacam, which is excellent for muscle pain; then you can take it away with you and have something to hand if it flares up again. If it is a pulled muscle, resting her as much as possible (ie no walks) between now and Saturday would also help. But it really needs the vet to have a look, decide what the problem is and give appropriate treatment or medication.
Kate, Oliver and Aled
Thank you all for your replies. I agree I will be taking her to the vet in the morning just to make sure.
Kate, we can't take her with us as we have a time share lodge in the Lake District which we've had for nearly 30 years (Colin's dad bought it for us before we had a dog), but sadly, they don't allow dogs.
So the lady who bred Spangle (and has her sister, mum and aunt) looks after her for us.
I wouldn't leave her with anyone else because of all her meds and eye lotions etc. She gave up breeding after she heard about Spangle's SM.
I still worry very much leaving her but she absolutely adores her sister and spends all the time snuggling up to her and won't leave her alone! Poor Daisy is probably glad to see her go at the end of the holiday!!
Oh I'm so sorry you've had this additional anxiety :( Do hope Spangle will be ok but it is probably sensible to get her checked out, esp with going away. Do hope you enjoy your holiday - will PM you x
I'm glad your taking her it just in case. Hope all is well and you enjoy your vacation. By the way, smuggling my dogs on vacations is what I do best :rolleyes: We rent weekly beach houses and I don't care if they allow dogs or not, I'm a rule breaker when it comes to smuggling my dogs.....but it sounds like you have a great place for her to go. She just getting a separate vacation.
On and of limping could also be her SM.
Harley started limping on his right front leg and we thought that it was an agility injury. X-rays didn’t show up anything he was on pain killers for 3 weeks nothing helped and he was what you called flat. An MRI showed that he had SM. One month later he just stopped limping.
I had the same with Molly, hope it is not sm related and the vet puts your mind at rest.
Originally Posted by Sabby
Back from the vet's. Not our usual vet this morning, but she was very thorough and checked her over very carefully.
She can't find any swelling, gets no reaction when manipulating the leg. She thinks she has probably sprained the part of the leg that joins the foot (sorry, biology was never my best subject!).
Spangle's temp was slightly high too. She has given her an antibiotic injection and a painkilling injection too and I have to give her an anti inflammatory tablet tomorrow. She has to have complete rest, no walks, no jumping. If she is no better by Thurs I have to take her back for an xray.
so sorry to read about spangle hope he has a speedy recovery
Have just PM'd you Christine, poor Spangle :( Hopefully it is just a soft tissue injury but it is sensible to have dosed her up and keep her rested for a few days. Do you use homoeopathic remedies? Arnica is very helpful for soft tissue injuries, you should be able to get it from your chemist. 30c is the normal dose available. I give 2 doses approx. 2 hours apart. then 3 times daily the next day until they are better.
Homoeopathy is generally most effective when prescribed individually [by a trained homoeopath] but some remedies are known to be particularly good in certain circumstances.