SM symptoms getting much worse and Lyrica questions
I also posted this on the SM list, as I would like all the advice and suggestions I can get. I also have an email in to my vet who is wonderful about responding- even on a Sunday. We have been in close contact, but I would also like anecdotal advice from people who have lived with this condition in their precious Cavaliers.
Good morning, everyone. Need some help here. My almost 6-year old beautiful girl
Scarlett has severe SM and is recently doing very poorly. She was mri'd two
years ago and at that time, almost her entire spinal cord was damaged. The neuro
said it was one of the worse cases he'd ever seen. He wanted to do surgery, but
also said there was no guarantee her symptoms would decrease. I didn't want to
put her through the surgery as her prognosis was so poor. The neuro was amazed
at how well her meds (Gabapentin, Omeprazole, and Previcox) controlled her
Well, sadly, we are at the point where she is getting much worse. Panting,
scratching, bunny hopping. We have added 5mg Pred and Tramadol, but even that
isn't helping enough. She's not herself and has lost her sparkle and spunky
personality. I am very, very sad. Our last resort is to try Lyrica. I have been
holding off as it's $200/month- that's the best price I've been able to find.
But, if it helps her, it's well worth the expense. I think this is our last
resort and if it doesn't help, I will have a heartbreaking decision to make. All of her kidney and liver values have been good up to now.
I've also noticed in the last week or two that her eyes are very bloodshot. She
does have cataracts in both eyes and I use Pred drops. I will call her
opthalmologist in the morning, but in the meantime, has anyone had this with SM?
Could it be the prednisone causing this?
For those of you with Cavaliers on Lyrica, are you still doing the Omeprazole
and/or Pred? How long did you wait between the Gabapentin dose to start the
Lyrica? My vet wants her to wait at least 8 hours, but I am very against that as
I know it will be very hard on her. If the Lyrica performs a miracle and helps her enough, I'd like to take her off the pred.
Any advice is very much appreciated. I am 6 months pregnant and very emotional
as it is, and this is truly breaking my heart. :-(
Thank you in advance.