A chocolate warning
I want to post a reminder warning about chocolate.....especially as most of us have more of it in the house at this time of year.
I am always so careful regarding not leaving any around where Leo can get it. But......
This morning Ive come down to find 6 empty celebration chocolate wrappers in Leo's bed!!
Ive called the vet and as the chocolate is milk, and only a small amount of the actual sweet plus he didnt eat the wrappers Ive been reasured he'll be ok.
Leo managed to get the sweets out of a bag...I didnt know they were in there. I feel terrible and very relieved it wasnt more chocolate. Im just thankful he didnt eat the silver foil wrappers as well!!!
Please please everyone be vigilant....I always thought I was...it just shows you.
I have told this story before but dogs can be very crafty finding a way to get into things. When I was a kid we had a mini schnauzer who some how found a way to get into our Halloween candy that was on the TOP of the fridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You would think well out of reach of a small dog.
I'm glad Leo is going to be alright and yes its a good reminder.
Thanks for the reminder.
I have a friend who had Christmas chocolate, including a giant dark chocolate bar, 'safely' on top of a table in another room with the door 'safely' closed.
Then they went out for the evening.
Turns out a visiting dog they were minding apparently could open door handles -- and all the dogs ran in and someone, or several, got on the table and knocked the chocolate to the floor. They arrived home to find chocolate demolished including the giant dark choc bar -- a small amount could easily be fatal.
On Christmas eve, 5 dogs had to be rushed to the emergency vet and all put on drips. One had heartbeats at over twice normal speed. Fortunately all survived. One spent many days in emergency.
Everything was assumed by this very responsible, careful owner to be responsibly put away and safe from the dogs.
It's a good idea to keep all chocolate well out of reach and safely away in a high, closed cupboard. Keep an eye when it is out being served, too.
The risks of eating it, for dogs, are very, very real.
I am so careful and so am kicking myself he managed to get some! I was telling a friend at work today who told me her friends dog ate 2 mince pies this christmas and spent the night on a drip at the vets.
Crafty litter beggers arent they??
Yep they seem to go straight for the things they never should eat!
My Leo got on a table in a few moments when I saw someone to the door and ate the top off a barmbrack -- which has raisins in it and normally would never ever be out on a table in reach of dogs! -- a couple of years ago and off I had to go to the vet which stayed open just for him. One injection and half an hour later, one startled looking Leo had his sneaky snack reappear -- full of raisins. I was glad I took the decision to run him to the vets. :yikes
That really made me laugh :rotfl:
Originally Posted by Karlin