Thanks everyone for all of your input and helpful advice, I really appreciate it! I've been playing a bit of phone tag with the rescue coordinator here but we last discussed having me go with the foster family when he gets his teeth cleaned to ask questions and get a better sense of his over all health. I think the suggestion of having all the blood work done and offering to chip in on the costs for some extra tests is great.
I also spoke with the NC coordinator with the CKCS and given that I'm a first time dog owner and would like to use my dog as a therapy dog in my work ( I'm a mental health therapist not sure if I mentioned that before) she suggested I contact some breeders to see if they have any older dogs that they were maybe holding on to show and it didn't work out. So far I've talked to a breeder in Beaufort, SC who has a 1 year old girl available and a lady in Winston-Salem who has a 6 month old boy available. I just need to sit with all the information I have and decide what I think is going to be the best fit for me I guess.
I think you are being very wise and that is a good idea about checking with breeders who want to place older cavaliers. That is great you want to do therapy work. I think if you take time, talk to breeders, even another rescue might be a better fit, or if you decide to rescue this cavalier, it sounds like you are thinking things through so I know you will decide what's best.
First - can this thread be moved to the "General" forum? I had a hard time finding it to post a reply and finally located it under "questions about Board features" which is obviously the wrong Forum. I think that others might have input but haven't seen the thread.
Sure, will move it there and leave a forward. :) I had been clicking directly into the thread from the side columns and hand't realised it was in the section for questions about board functions rather than about dogs.