That's such great news! :D
That's such great news! :D
Just an FYI Mel gets his MRI on Wednesday. Wish us luck to finding a way to help our boy. :)
The very best of luck and let us know how it goes. :flwr: Many of us have been where you are now, and know what you are going through.
I can't express how much I appreciate your words of guidance towards valuable information as well as the emotional support. I will definitely keep all of you posted. :)
I don't know much about caring for a SM dog, but I do know the people do care and the support here in invaluable. I will keep you and Mel in my thoughts.
If after Mel's MRI, you decide you want to come to Chicago to see a neurologist, I really love Riley's. His name is Michael Podell and he is at Chicago Veterinary Emergency and Specialty Center. You can PM me if you want any more info. He has done SM surgery on Riley and disc surgery on one of my other dogs. Riley sees him every 6 months for blood work as she's on daily prednisone. Good luck. I know it's a long wait until Wednesday.
I hope that everything goes well for Melvin on Wednesday and you find the answers you need.
Well, as many of you know tomorrow is the big MRI day and Mel is TOTALLY picking up on my nerves... he won't even eat dinner. :sl*p:
Hi Mel's mum
How did the MRI go? Do let us know, we were thinking of you, and will be here for you whatever the result.
Kate, Oliver and Aled
Well, today the whole family is home recovering from our yesterdays journey and emotional trials. After being put under for the MRI, Mel is STILL so tired, and I've given up on my day to pretty much just holding him. The results concluded that Mel definitively has SM, and after consulting with two neurologists it seems our best option is surgery. Mel is currently on Gabapentin (Sp?) three times each day as well as Omezprazole. I knew this was going to happen, but I still can't help but be heartbroken. Up to the last moment I was hoping it was some strange and uncommon infection that could be treated with a daily regiment of Peanut Butter and couch-snuggles. I suppose I should work on my attachment to blind hope.
On that note, however, There is one idea I am very anxious (and hopeful...) to discuss with all of you. Mel's doctors said they have a different surgical maneuver that I have never heard of. They said they would be going in from the UNDERSIDE of his head and doing the surgery from there. I had only ever heard of the surgery which took place at the top of the head behind the base of the skull. My doctor is swearing by it and says that the other patients they have done this on have had great results stopping progression and relieving symptoms. What are all of your thoughts? Has anyone had this surgery? If so, what were your experiences?
My husband and I are very anxious to get the surgery for our wee man so he can try to get back to doing all of the things he loves to do.
PS I am HUGGING the past-Lauren for setting up a medical expense savings account for my dogs. :w**h**: