Lynn, I am so happy that Blondie is doing so well, actually better than expected! And that is the hard part of deciding whether or not to do surgery. I just think you have to trust your gut. Anne and I felt that for Ella and Riley surgery was the right choice. Lynn, you mentioned that you didn't have a good feeling about the surgery and opted out. No right or wrong choices, just individual choices. As it turns out, surgery was the right choice for Riley and medical management was the right choice for Blondie. All you can do is make sure you have gathered the most information you can so that you can make an informed decision, and then make the leap and know that whatever you decide to do you are doing with your dog's best welfare in mind.
Yes it is definitely a tough and very personal decision. I was at a similar crossroad 3 years ago with Jack. Jack also had his MRI at LIVS and I was told by the same doctor that Jack would be paralyzed in a year. I went for a second opinion and this neuro suggested we try meds first. I did that and 3 years later, things are stable and Jack can still run and play (he is not completely "normal" but I deep down feel his quality of life is good). If the meds stopped working and quality of life went down, I would consider surgery again.
I say get a second opinion and then go with your gut.
Good luck, my prayers are with you.
I agree. Get a second opinion from a neuro who treats conservatively and likes the medical route. When that neuro also says surgery the choice would be easy... I dont like ti hear that livs used the paralyze scare tactic on you as well. Because it almost seems as one... Thats what my second neuro said too. He thought it was unethical to suggest that sice nobody could know that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bumping this up to the top also for Monica and Ellie.