• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How to give a dog water by syringe

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Many of us will need to do this at some point, due to a sick dog with diarrhoea, for example. It's important to syringe correctly, because a dog can actually 'dry drown' if the water is sent down the windpipe into the lungs, rather than swallowed.

Don't use force on the plunger and don't stick the syringe straight into the mouth -- and don't tilt the dog's head back. You want to open the side of the mouth to create a little pouch between the outside of the teeth an the cheek and then gently push the plunger to let the water out. If there's a lot of water in the syringe then you'll need to do several small presses at a time to let the dog swallow and breathe. Keep the head level as tilting it increases the chance that it goes down the wrong way.

Here's a helpful explanation with pictures:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/dog_oral_fluids.aspx

Great information. I want to mention that I came across an old thread recently about a member here whose dog died from dry drowning. Her dog was fetching toys thrown into a pool, as he goes to grab the toy, his snout was under water and as he was grabbing the toy, he was inhaling water through his mouth and into his lungs. (I can't find the actual thread.....it may be in the memorium section......)

This is a really good time to mention this with summer time and lots of outdoor water activities.

If your dog has been on Metacam, the syringe you get with that, thoroughly washed out, is excellent for giving a dog water.

Joyce, I remember that tragedy - so sad, the dog was playing in a paddling pool with only a few inches of water, but to get hold of the ball he had to push it against the bottom and his nose and mouth were just far enough under water for the water to go down the wrong way and drown him. One of those completely unlikely accidents that you would never dream of happening.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

That was a female Cavalier who was about a year old - Pixie - who lived in Georgia.

For people who live in the US, it's so much easier, safer, and more effective to give subcutaneous fluids when a dog is dehydrated -esp. if the dog is nauseated and/or vomiting. I keep fluid (lactated ringers), needles, and linesets on hand all of the time. I've given subq fluids to many, many dogs and cats. It's easy and quick and safe.

Pat

That was a female Cavalier who was about a year old - Pixie - who lived in Georgia.

For people who live in the US, it's so much easier, safer, and more effective to give subcutaneous fluids when a dog is dehydrated -esp. if the dog is nauseated and/or vomiting. I keep fluid (lactated ringers), needles, and linesets on hand all of the time. I've given subq fluids to many, many dogs and cats. It's easy and quick and safe.

I agree with Pat about subcutaneous fluids. We had a cat which needed daily doses for a while. It took a bit of instruction from our vet, and a little practice. The patient did not seem to mind it too much, and it definitely is the most effective way to hydrate a dog in need. The needle is inserted just under the skin near the shoulders, where there is enough loose skin to grab.

Agree there are times when subcutaneous fluids are a good choice, especially over a few days or longer. I've never had to syringe more than a day or so, generally to make sure a sick dog was getting enough fluids.

Back