• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sleeping through the night

LauraD

Hi again,
Ok, i know it's only been 2 days, but when do puppies sleep through the entire night? Riley is 10 weeks old and the breeder said he slept all night at her house. So far he is able to sleep about 5 hours straight in his crate at night. Should i be expecting more? :? Please tell me your stories, i would love to read your input.

Thanks for the welcome and we do think Riley is a cute little boy. :D BTW, i bought that Puppia before i even knew when we would get a puppy or what sex the puppy would be! :shock: I couldn't help myself, i saw some pictures on this site and i knew i had to have one. :oops: Guess i'm hooked now. :D

Laura

Hellothere.jpg

Hi,

congratulations on your new baby!

He's probably just feeling a little unsettled with him only being with you a few days, and it can feel scary for them if they've gone from having other dogs around to being alone. he should settle eventually, but it sometimes helps to think of yourself being in that situation (ie in a strange place) i know when i was in hospital with my son i didn't sleep very well as it felt weird, so i guess it's the same for dogs too.

Harry has that same puppia harness, in that same colour icon_banana

Do you keep Riley's crate in the bedroom with you at night? If not, that might help him adjust and feel more comfortable. We kept Cedar (she was younger than Riley when we got her) in a small crate next to our bed for a month or so until she was sleeping through the night all the time.

OOooops I am a bad mother!!! :oops: When my girls came home I slept with them (we got them12 months apart) on the lounge until they slept through. It wasn't too long. Then they came and slept with my husband and I. I guess we feel sorry for them as they are home alone. Although now they have each other. The cavalier we had before always slept with us so we knew the girls would. They just snuggle together at the end of the bed :D
Julie and the girls

Well Gizmo sleeps the night through once he doesn't feel the need for a toilet break!!
He did this after about 5 days with us but for the first couple of nights it was (I imagine!) as bad as having a kid !!! On the first night my OH, went down to him in the kitchen and held him, brought him out the back and played with him from about 5am onwards !!
We knew that had to stop and it did (you just have to give in sometimes 'cos they are so darned cute!!)

He is in our bedroom now and for those of you that may remember previous posts in Nov.... YES he's still there and in our bed....

We are doing up our outhouse so that it's going to be like another room (heat, electricity, already has large window + door and warm flooring etc) and when we get our second addition to the family on Sat 25 March we are going to see how they adjust to sleeping in there......

Don't despair - it won't be long before you get a good nights sleep again !!

I didnt have any problems with Tara but my other dog Jodie was a nightmare

We did a few things- put her in our room in her crate, we wrapped a hot water bottle in a blanket and put it in her bed and placed a clock beside her and a radio ontop of the crate and it did work.

Good luck I know what its like to be kept awake during the night

Last night was Charlie's first night home. I crate our Shih Tzus at night, but for Charlie, I kept his crate door open, put out a piddle pad so he could get out of his crate and use the pad. He missed the pad, but got really close. :lol: He did wake me around 2am whining. I came down to find him sitting outside my Tzu Romeo's crate, whining. Guess he was lonely. So I let everyone out, Charlie got to run and play some, then he got tired enough I put him in his crate and he went right to sleep and I went back to bed! ;)

We'll see how he does tonight. He's only 8 weeks, so he's going to have to potty at least once during the night.

Thank you everyone for your stories! Wow, everyone is different in the way you handled it, it's all so interesting. Riley does sleep pretty peacefully for about 5 hours. I guess that's pretty good. He sleeps in his crate on he floor next to my side of the bed. He has 2 old t-shirts that we each wore in his crate for comfort, so he can smell us next to him while he sleeps. :) I suppose i should just get used to less sleep during the night and try to catch a nap when i can. ;)

Back