• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

shedding

LINDA CROSS

Hi as I said yesterday I am getting my first cavalier(bailey) tuesday. I was wondering about shedding. How often should i bath him and brush him. My husband hates dog hair.

Is it a puppy that you are getting ?????????????

If so I never found that they really shed that much until their coats come in then looks out.
I brush dudley who is now 2 years old 2 to 3 times a week.
He gets a bath about every 2 to 3 weeks also, I know some people don't
bathe their cavs as much but when he starts to smell I give him a bath.

Again if it is a puppy you may have to bathe a little more at first especially if you are planning on paper training him he will be standing in his poop and pee unless you lift it right away.

Congratulations, you will have to post pictures.

I am NO expert. I can only give you the little experience I have so far.
My Isabelle is 8 months old and I have NEVER had a problem with shedding. I'm assuming I may see more as the warmer months approach or as she gets older, but she jumps all over us and other than a few little hairs here and there, I don't think it's too much. Now maybe it's just too hard to see as her coat is mostly black.
As far as bathing, when we first got her, the kids wanted to throw her in the bath tub all the time. I'd say once or twice a week. The first time we took her to the groomers, we were told her skin was dry probably due to baths and not getting all the soap/shampoo out. We don't bathe her at all anymore. She goes to the groomers every 4 weeks and gets her baths there and since we stopped he hasn't noticed anymore dry flakes. We only bathed her once, that was last weekend as she found a mud puddle in our backyard, but we used no soap or shampoo as she was going to the groomers 2 days later.
Hope this helps reassure your husband. My husband wasn't thrilled before Isabelle get here and now he wants a 2nd as bad as I do. They are so easy and clean for the most part!! :)

How exciting for you, is he a bleinham ??????????

When we got Dudley my husband built him a Pen which was about
6 ft x 4ft so he wasn't piddling all over the place.

I work from home so training was rather quick.
Also you really don't have to bathe his entire body just wash the smelly areas.
My husband never wanted a dog, guess who is his best buddy. icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling

We notice hair more from our Tri than we did with our Ruby. I think it depends on the dog. I brush my dogs every day and bathe them about once a month. I'm afraid hair is a fact of life when you have a dog. I would advise you buy some throws for your furniture and you can put them in the washing machine once a week.

He's gorgeous. Enjoy him while he's small. My twinkle is 15 weeks now and double the size she was when we got her!

Woody is getting his adult coat at the moment so there are lots of white hairs at the moment, but we brush them every couple of days - Busta is fine except we keep finding his ear hairs on the floor where Woody and Ozzy grab him - Linda not to worry your husband will be so smitten he will not notice.... I used to hate having hairs on me before I got the doors unfortunately they get on clothes and do fall into food, but I just pick them up as I know that my boys are quite clean - if you worry about it you will get OCD - only thing I have at the moment is sore hands cos I wish my hands everytime Ozzy has a mistake.

You probably won't have much shedding til he blows his puppy coat which tends to happen at around a year old I think though this varies. Then he'll lost his whole coat as the adult comes in underneath and there will be lots of hair! Some dogs shed more than others -- my two at about 2.5 years old don't shed much at all, especially not in comparison to cats! I know others will have dogs that shed a lot. But a puppy is pretty shed-less! :) Brushing will take out the vast majority of dirt even when they are really muddy (mine dry out, and already most of the dirt disappears). I bathe mine maybe every 3 months depending on whether they get into anything smelly like horse poop or not. M<ine swim regularly as well which makes it less necessary to wash. Shampoo will always strip oils from their skin and coat so do get a dog shampoo not a human one.

Hi Linda,

Gizmo is now just over a year and a blenheim and he most certainly DOES shed ..... we have dark wooden flooring and a dark leather couch so his lovely white hairs are easily seen !! Thankfully it's easy enough to clean though ..... When I come in from work and he sits on my knee ... you should see my dark suits afterwards !!! I look like I'm the one with white hair !!! WIth their character + love though , I'm, betting your husband won't even notice after a few days !!

Bailey looks gorgeous ..... I bet you can't wait .... Good luck

Molly is 3 now, a Blenheim with a full adult coat (finally). She started her seasonal shedding this week, and I am surprised at just how much she is shedding. This is the first year that she has had the mature coat, and I waited more or less impatiently for it to come in, as I think that the full-coated Cavaliers are so beautiful. Now I sort of wish she still had the sparser puppy coat. The good news is that she loves to be groomed. It is an activity we do pretty much every day, as we sit and snuggle. She gets a full, more exacting grooming once a week, and loves that too. I do not have a grooming table, so I put a big towel over the dining room table. She knows that when that towel comes out, she is going to get some attention, so she jumps right up on the table and sits there waiting for the combing and brushing to commence. She moves from position to position on her own, so I can get to all parts of her coat, and when we are finished she waits to be complimented on how pretty she looks before she gets down off the table. I swear she just preens. If you keep up with the brushing and combing, you will keep up with most of the shedding. You are always going to have some. They are fur-babies after all, but it is certainly managable.

From reading all the posts, it appears that shedding really differs from dog to dog. Fauna, my 6 month old B&T hardly sheds at all, while Flora @ 4 months (Blenheim) sheds like mad! We do our daily brushings at this time so that they get used to the process and hopefully, won't dislike it as adult dogs. The "girls" are crazy for baths - in fact I now have to close the bathroom door tight as they found they can leap into the tub. icon_yikes I really don't fancy sharing my bath with them but they think it is great fun. True Spaniels!

JaneB

I have been combing Charlie daily; but he's not really shedding that I can tell. Since I also have Shih Tzus, who require quite a bit of grooming; I will do the same with Charlie. I will also probably bathe Charlie more often, as I intend to show him, and getting him used to getting 'show ring ready' is important and if he's been used to bathing from early on, then he won't mind it so much. Everyone here usually gets a bath about once every 1.5 weeks or so. The Tzus are not in full coat, so they get clipped about every 6 weeks.

Back