Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a good dog food.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been feeding my two cav girls Natural Balance Reduced Caloric for about 2 months. However, my Sasha has started to lick the tops of her paws, and I 'm worried this may be a sign of a food allergery? I was feeding her Royal Canin Mini Lite and then every store in my state stopped carrying it! We've even put our Lhasa Apso on it as well.

Any advice? I hate to think about changing the food again. I've also been mixing a little canned Natural Balance w/the dry and of course, they all go crazy over dinner time!

Sheri R.
    Nebraska,USA

Post Thanks / Like

We feed Isabella Innova (or is it Annova )

She loves it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default How often to feed a 5 mo puppy??

I've been feeding a mix of wet and dry 3x daily ... 2 tbs wet & 2 tbs dry mixed together ... I'm feeding Iams but considering switching to a premium brand after reading these posts ... is innova a good one? There are so many out there!

is my feeding schedule too much food? Should I cut down to twice / day at this point, 5 months old??

Post Thanks / Like

I would say every three months we hit upon this subject. Many people trust their vets 100% in everything they do-- I have become a little jaded (daughter works as a vet tech for 6 years and has enlightened me a bit too).
    Whole dog journel is an excellent publication. They don't take advertisements - so they don't have anyone paying for a recommendation. All you have to do is read the ingredient label.
    poulty by products --- ewwww
    animal fat ----------- from what?
    sorghum---------- Isn't that a sugar?
    I don't like to see a lot of grains (or grain by products, which is worse)
    Soybeans helps boost the protein- but I would rather see a meat protein.

My daughter has a dog with food sensitivities-- she put the dog on Simple food Solutions (from Wellness) and his coat and skin have improved drastically. Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How often to feed a 5 mo puppy??

Quote Originally Posted by k_colello
    I've been feeding a mix of wet and dry 3x daily ... 2 tbs wet & 2 tbs dry mixed together ... I'm feeding Iams but considering switching to a premium brand after reading these posts ... is innova a good one? There are so many out there!

is my feeding schedule too much food? Should I cut down to twice / day at this point, 5 months old??
    I feed my 14 week olds three times a day and they get two small snacks. One of my pups needs to gain some weight-- so I will keep her on this until she is a better weight for her size. If I were you, I would assess your 5 month old - Does her weight look good- does she eat all the food-- Each pup is an individual and they may have different needs. IMO- Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

Maisie was on Pedigree puppy (dry) when we got her from breeder and had diarhoea (spelling?) for a week or so. When I took her to the vet and mentioned it, he recommended Hills - probably because of the cut they get from the company. Anyway, Maisie likes it, is growing well, and has solid, easy to pick up, No. 2s. It's a little pricey compared to some brands but until I read this thread, I had only heard good things about it. I'm just chuffed she will eat dry food, because my mum-in-law (a cav owner for most of her life) had warned me about how fussy they are, and how hers likes home cooked food. I spend enough time in the kitchen cooking human food without being in there cooking Maisie a gourmet meal 3 times a day. I think her cavs have had her wrapped around their paws