• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Looking for a good dog food.

Angela

Hi

I have just been reading through the forum and been taking in all the different foods and ways in which people feed their dogs. I was recommended by my vet to feed our puppy with Hills Scientific plan food which i purchase from the vet. The thing is i have not heard anyone else on this forum saying they use this food and i was lead to believe it was one of the best feeds. Of course i want the best nourishment for my puppy so this is a big deal to me. Is there anyone else out there who uses this pet food. Or maybe you could recommend one that you think is better. Im just curious now.
Thanks

I feed Natural Balance - I do not know if this food is available where you are - but it is a wonderful food, both the regular and Salmon and Sweet Potatoe

We've been really pleased with Canadae as both my pups and older dog can eat the same food. It seems to set well on their sensitive tummies as well. It's available at Pet Supply Plus stores and many feed stores as well. I have seen it mentioned on several breeder's sites - my breeder is the one that suggested it to us. The added bonus is that it is just a bit less expensive than some of the otber "good" brands.

JaneB

Vet's recommend Hill's because they do a deal with the producer to sell it. Also because they do some sepcific foods that can be helpful to cats/dogs weith specific medical conditions.

In general many feel the food is overprices for what it is, and also not the highest quality ingredients, plus it has grains that can sometimes cause allergic reactions (canids wouldn't normally eat grains! But it makes a cheap filler to bulk out store foods).

If you read some of the postings in the Caring for Your Cavalier section of the Library there are links to some pages with recommended foods. I'd finish feeding the bag you have but then maybe consider something with better quality ingredients than Hill's. I like Royal Canin myself and James Wellbeloved but the latter is sold over here but not in the US I think.

I've heard that the meat and vegetables used in most pet foods is considered unfit for human consumption. I wonder if brands differ on this.

I have heard that puppy food is not good for puppies, it makes them grow too fast. I don't know much about this, i've just heard a number of people say it on discussion lists. They say that it's not the right balance for a puppy and is not healthy for them. But again, i don't know if that's right or not.

Again, :) I'm going to recommend reading breeder Laura Lang's page on feeding guidelines.

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

Note she also includes the well-known and well-respected recommended kibble list from the Whole Dog Journal (which I also recommend! You can get a digital or print version, worth it for the feeding info alone: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/ ). The kibbles on this list all use human-grade protein and veg/fruit sources. There used to be a good online list that graded kibbles as to whether they used human grade protein (otherwise they can use 'downers', animals that die at the abbatoir becasue they are too sick to walk, and can use sick/diseased animals unfit for the human food chain). But that has disappeared.

Most breeders I've encountered in most breeds, large to smal, say do NOT feed puppy foods (or kitten foods to kittens). Mainly because they can be overly rich and cause the animal's bones to grow too quickly and for the animal to be oversized. My own take: in nature a wild dog or cat is not fed extra nutrient rich food after weaning, but the same things adults eat, so as long as the pup/kitten gets the right amounts of a good adult food, they are fine. They get the extra nutrients they need when being milk-fed.

karlin said:
Again, :) I'm going to recommend reading breeder Laura Lang's page on feeding guidelines. ...Note she also includes the well-known and well-respected recommended kibble list from the Whole Dog Journal.

Great resource! thanks. i had subscribed to the Whole Dog Journal digital magazine when i first got zack and was researching how to deal with fleas. i subscribed so i could search the archives. I haven't been reading it though, just so little time for everything, such a steep learning curve. But this link you posted here is concise and clear, it has lots of very important useful information all on one page. i just feel bad that Zack had been eating puppy kibble for 4 1/2 months.

Holly (14 weeks) was on pedigree puppy, but she was getting terrible diarhea from it. Vet recommended hills puppy for her and it got her back on track again, thank god. So i'm happy to stick with it.
Yvonne

I have been feeding my two cav girls Natural Balance Reduced Caloric for about 2 months. However, my Sasha has started to lick the tops of her paws, and I 'm worried this may be a sign of a food allergery? I was feeding her Royal Canin Mini Lite and then every store in my state stopped carrying it! We've even put our Lhasa Apso on it as well.

Any advice? I hate to think about changing the food again. I've also been mixing a little canned Natural Balance w/the dry and of course, they all go crazy over dinner time!

Sheri R.
Nebraska,USA

How often to feed a 5 mo puppy??

I've been feeding a mix of wet and dry 3x daily ... 2 tbs wet & 2 tbs dry mixed together ... I'm feeding Iams but considering switching to a premium brand after reading these posts ... is innova a good one? There are so many out there!

is my feeding schedule too much food? Should I cut down to twice / day at this point, 5 months old??

I would say every three months we hit upon this subject. Many people trust their vets 100% in everything they do-- I have become a little jaded (daughter works as a vet tech for 6 years and has enlightened me a bit too).
Whole dog journel is an excellent publication. They don't take advertisements - so they don't have anyone paying for a recommendation. All you have to do is read the ingredient label.
poulty by products --- ewwww
animal fat ----------- from what?
sorghum---------- Isn't that a sugar?
I don't like to see a lot of grains (or grain by products, which is worse)
Soybeans helps boost the protein- but I would rather see a meat protein.

My daughter has a dog with food sensitivities-- she put the dog on Simple food Solutions (from Wellness) and his coat and skin have improved drastically. Sandy

Re: How often to feed a 5 mo puppy??

k_colello said:
I've been feeding a mix of wet and dry 3x daily ... 2 tbs wet & 2 tbs dry mixed together ... I'm feeding Iams but considering switching to a premium brand after reading these posts ... is innova a good one? There are so many out there!

is my feeding schedule too much food? Should I cut down to twice / day at this point, 5 months old??

I feed my 14 week olds three times a day and they get two small snacks. One of my pups needs to gain some weight-- so I will keep her on this until she is a better weight for her size. If I were you, I would assess your 5 month old - Does her weight look good- does she eat all the food-- Each pup is an individual and they may have different needs. IMO- Sandy

Maisie was on Pedigree puppy (dry) when we got her from breeder and had diarhoea (spelling?) for a week or so. :yuk: When I took her to the vet and mentioned it, he recommended Hills - probably because of the cut they get from the company. Anyway, Maisie likes it, is growing well, and has solid, easy to pick up, No. 2s. :D It's a little pricey compared to some brands but until I read this thread, I had only heard good things about it. I'm just chuffed she will eat dry food, because my mum-in-law (a cav owner for most of her life) had warned me about how fussy they are, and how hers likes home cooked food. I spend enough time in the kitchen cooking human food without being in there cooking Maisie a gourmet meal 3 times a day. I think her cavs have had her wrapped around their paws :jump: :jump:

Back