Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dont like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I dont like it!

My lady is going to be 10yrs on christmas day, over the last few months i have noticed changes in her. She is really slowing down, she struggles to get on the sofa and really just cant be bothered to do much. I have noticed that she seems to be drinking a lot more water than usual to and then when she has finished she coughs like she has something in her throat or is going to be sick! any ideas why that would happen? i am taking her to the vets next week for a check up to be on the safe side. I dont want her to get old :cry:

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah,
    I just think is it old age, but make sure to write everything down to tell the vet - especially the drinking.... Darren and I were talking about last night and I told them all to stay young and not grow old - don't know what I would do if I lost one of my babies..

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah:

I've noticed a number of changes in my Sophie too since winter - she's only 8, but came to me last summer after living her life as a breeder for many years. Now she just gets to sit on my bed, daily walks, and more treats than she needs, but hey, what's the fun in being retired if you can't get fat & sassy!

I love her as much as if she'd been with us forever, but compared to my other 8 yr. old cavalier girl, Sophie sure seems older. I guess having so many kids does that to a lady - luckily now 'tho she's happy living as a queen.

I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts for the vet visit next week. icon_heartthrob

Sheri Ramirez

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

These are some possible symptoms of congestive heart failure (eg more advanced stages of MVD). Please get her to a vet right away; and also I'd recommend a cardiologist. This would be the age at which almost 100% of cavaliers will have at the very least, a heart murmur. If this is what is causing these symptoms, you have a good chance to give her a longer life and greater comfort by taking action right away.

Please also read this excellent article on CHF and MVD especially in the older cavalier:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=561

Let us know what your vet says. Vets are not always good at hearing murmurs or knowing how to manage MVD and CGF in comparison to a cardiologist which is why you might ask for a referral.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

HI thank you all for your replies. Thank you Karlin i wil do as you suggest. Lady has had a heart murmer since she was a puppy, we have never had any problems with it so far, she has always been fit and healthy execpt when she got pyometra which led to blood poising that was touch and go for 2 days wheather she would come home. Richard my vet is execellent so the sooner i get her to him the better. i will keep in touch. I also read from that article about keeping them thin thin thin! Lady is a little overwieght so i shall be sorting that out as well. Thank you all

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like

HI thank you all for your replies. Thank you Karlin i wil do as you suggest. Lady has had a heart murmer since she was a puppy, we have never had any problems with it so far, she has always been fit and healthy execpt when she got pyometra which led to blood poising that was touch and go for 2 days wheather she would come home. Richard my vet is execellent so the sooner i get her to him the better. i will keep in touch. I also read from that article about keeping them thin thin thin! Lady is a little overwieght so i shall be sorting that out as well. Thank you all

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like

Wish us luck please everyone, i am taking Lady to the vets at 3.10pm, she starting screaming yesterday for no apparent reason i also noticed a bulging at the side of her belly. I am so scared.

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah,
    Hang in there, my thoughts will be with you and Lady all day today. Be brave, she will need you to comfort her - no matter what the outcome. Please let us know what you find out - we are all here for you!

JaneB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Just got back from the vets, he seems to think she has kidney diesease i wont find out untill tomorow afternoon when the blood test results come back :cry: fingers crossed please everyone.

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahg
    Hi

Just got back from the vets, he seems to think she has kidney diesease i wont find out untill tomorow afternoon when the blood test results come back :cry: fingers crossed please everyone.

Sarah xx
    Sarah, please let us know what you find out tomorrow. Did the vet mention what exactly the long term effects of kidney disease? Can it be treated or cured or is this something that can't be treated? Wishing you all the best!
    Kat
    Kat