Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I dont like it!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Just got the blood results from the vets her kidneys are ok, she does not have diabetes, liver disease undetectable. She is going in for a chest xray on tuesday at 9am. I am still very concerned, i am going to read up thouroughly on heart murmers as this is why she is having the chest xray.

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Sarah and {{{{Lady}}}}. My Maxx is 6 1/2 aqnd sometimes I look at him when he's asleep and cry He's got SM and every day we have together is precious. You will both be in our thoughts icon_heartthrob

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Just got Lady back from the vets, her chest xray shows CHF. I have got to go back tomorrow to collect two lots of tablets which i cant remember the names of! He was giving me so much information and drawing me diagrams that i coudn"t take it all in, i wish i took someone else with me. I shall write everything down that i need to ask for tomorrow. I dont know much about CHF, Karlin i have read the link you gave me which was very helpful thank you. Any advice would be apreciated thank you.

Sarah xx

Gillian Guest

I will pray for Lady and you. How awful I dont know what CHF is either.
    Good Luch and God Bless!!

Gillian :cry:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please look at Karlin's link above - it is very important for all Cavalier guardians to be aware of the symptoms of heart failure.

Thinking of you and Lady, Sarah - the medication is usually very good and will hopefully help her.

There is a new Yahoo support group for Mitral Valve Disease, which has some good links and helpful members too:

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/MVD...guid=210485203
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Hi just spoke to the head nurse at the vets as my vet was unavalible, Ladys heart murmer is 4 out of 6, they are going to give her Pimobendan and an Ace inhibiter not sure which one yet, does anyone know of any side affects these drugs may have? going to do a search in a minute to see what i can find out. Poor Lady she is just lying there all the time my heart breaks to see her like this, will the drugs help?

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for updating us Sarah.

Really the grade of the murmur isn't so important as the clinical signs - I've known of dogs with a grade 6 showing no signs at all - and Peaches had a 3 and very bad symptoms :cry:

The Pimobendan {Vetmedin} make take a few weeks to start working - sometimes a couple of months. The only side effects Peaches had were from the diuretics - {weeing and drinking more plus more frequently} - and from the digitalis {Dioxin} - this made her nauseous {she was licking her lips a lot with this} and put her off her food

This is the website for one of the ACE inhibitors:

http://www.heartydog.co.uk/index.shtml

It is quite clear and easy to understand

Lady should feel better on the tablets, they will take some of the strain off her heart, so she should feel like doing a bit more.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah, my thoughts and prayers are with you guys. I know it's hard to see her getting older and facing these problems. Positive thoughts being sent you way that she starts feeling better on the meds! :cry:
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like

Hi thanks Kat for your kind words, and thank you Nicki for your advice you have made me feel there is hope for Lady.

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know of many dogs who do very well for a very very long time once they are on medication and this begins to help relieve the heart condition. I'm not sure about side effects but most of these heart medications are very widely used on humans and animals and very well tolerated by both. I hope she does very well.

The diagrams your vet was drawing were probably to illustrate how her heart valve works -- and what begins to happen in congestive heart failure.

The group Nicki mentions would be a really good place to learn more and talk with other people whose cavaliers are being treated for MVD/CHF. They could probably tell you about drug side effects for example.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com