• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm in love!

TraMar

Okay, allow this Cav newbie to gush a bit about my lovely Charlie. He's wonderful! I called his breeder and asked her if all Cav puppies were this calm! :lol: Shih Tzus aren't what I would have considered an "active" breed. They're not hyper or anything, but Tzu puppies are just plain wiggly! Tzus in general, when they are on your lap, just want to be up giving you kisses and just wiggling that fluffy tail! Charlie just snuggles up under my chin when I'm holding him and goes to sleep. Or curls up on my lap and sleeps. He does run and play and thinks Shih Tzu tails and ears are the coolest toys there is! :lol: But I'm seeing differences in overall temperament and activity level. Charlie is calm in comparison. Are your Cavs calm too?

I can definitely see that Cavs are not stubborn like Tzus. Oh my goodness - Shih Tzus can be stubborn. :shock: Of course Charlie is only not quite 9 weeks old. But if he's attempting to chew something he shouldn't, or piddle where he shouldn't, or whining in the middle of the night... I just tell him No; and he stops. Amazing! You tell a Shih Tzu no, and they look at you as if you've just challenged them with a dare or something! :lol:

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Tzus - but I'm most definitely IN LOVE with Cavaliers!! :D

Here's my little guy with my hubby (who is also in love with Cavaliers!)
charlie-mark3-4-06.jpg

:lol: Well, they aren't exactly a *stubborn* breed, but I'd say you have a particularly placid fellow there so far! Also you will probably see a lot more mischief in a couple of weeks! :lol: Jaspar waited til he got to about 10 months before he went through a rebellious streak, so they can be late bloomers when it comes to being troublesome. However neither of mine have ever been really difficult; they aren't big chewers (only two shoes ruined when they were under a year!) not barkers and so on. But oh can they be manipulative... 8)

Meant to mention Charlie is adorable and sure likes like someone is a *bit* sold on him in that pic... :p

:D Yes, my hubby is totally smitten with Charlie; more so than with the Tzus! :shock: :lol:

Thank you for posting that, I was begaining to wonder about Bailey. He will play but he snuggles and sleeps alot. He was born January 3rd. I am really enjoying him. He looks alot like your Charlie.

Bailey is only one day older than my Charlie - who was born January 4th. :) It could that they are both still really young and will "perk up" a bit in a few weeks or so; but so far, he's really very quiet and calm for a puppy.

Hang on to your hats! I think Cav's play the docile, low key, all sweetness and light until they have you hooked, and then. . . Really, most Cav's seem to have an equal amount of cuddle and play in them. I think it sometimes takes them a few weeks to get really comfortable and confident about their new family and surroundings. My first Cavalier was very laid back and calm (but would play!), my second is a wild child and my third is a mix of the two types. It is such fun watching them become their own little personality. ENJOY! Your baby is so cute!

JaneB

Thanks Jane! Your thoughts are what I was thinking would most likely happen. All this is still new to him, he's still young and sleeping quite a bit still. My Shih Tzus also have varying personalities, I suppose dogs are like people in this regard. :)

JaneB said:
Hang on to your hats! I think Cav's play the docile, low key, all sweetness and light until they have you hooked, and then. . . Really, most Cav's seem to have an equal amount of cuddle and play in them. I think it sometimes takes them a few weeks to get really comfortable and confident about their new family and surroundings. My first Cavalier was very laid back and calm (but would play!), my second is a wild child and my third is a mix of the two types. It is such fun watching them become their own little personality. ENJOY! Your baby is so cute!

JaneB

That picture just melted my heart. So sweet!!

Well til they hit their teens. Yikes!!! Jake would stand on the hilltop and dare me to come up and get him. All of his training went right out the door. Come? What does that mean? Oh, treat! Yeah, I remember that one!!

Doesn't make you love them any less though and the good thing is you know (hope!) they will outgrow that stage.

Thanks Cathy! I also have adult children ages 24, 22 and 20 - so been there done that and am doin' it again! :lol: Hannah is my youngest of seven. ;)

At his age he will likely sleep more than play. Wait til about 16-20 weeks... :lol: :lol:

Lady is now 1 year and 2 months and yesterday i came home to find her eating a book i borrowed from my boyfriend. She still chews on everything.

Awww.... what a cute pic!! Glad the get-to-know-yous is going well. My cavvie is just over 7 months old, and she started off very similarly. In fact, I was worried something was wrong at first because she didnt have much interest in playing! She came around, though. Give the pup a few weeks, and it will have more energy. Our Cedar has not gotten into much trouble for a puppy, so I think there is something ot say about cav pups being sweet little things. But beware the manipulative little squirts! They are quite smart, and they'll have you trained before you know it!

I have had Bailey for less than a week now and he is already getting very indepentant. I kind of liked it better when all he would do is sit on my lap. He is getting his own little personality. How is charlie doing?

:lol: So Bailey has settled in well then!

Charlie is doing awesome!! Still sweet and calm. He does play with the Shih Tzus and acts like a puppy - just overall he's calmer than I'm used to with Shih Tzu puppies. That's not a bad thing at all - just different. :)

Back