• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help me!!!

G

Gillian

My 10 month old cavalier Kayla has just peed on my couch. My husband put her there first thing in the morning but she didnt attempt to get down and tell us she needed to go right then. Usually she waits. I cant believe she did. My husband wants to ban her from sofas forever. I am so upset.
How do I handle the situation.
So far ,of course, I was angry with her told her to stay in her bed an refused her affectionate pleas to pet her. Now I am at a loss. Do I just forget about it.!!!!! icon_yikes

Hi Gillian

Try not to worry to much Lady used to wee on my bed when she was a puppy icon_yikes

Sarah xx

Gillian she is still too young to be totally reliable. You are fortunate if at age 10 months she is already almost entirely housebrokern -- but she will very likely still have some accidents like this.

Why not train her so that she always goes to a soft, portable dog bed (I use those circular throw beds or crate lining pads that have slight sides) -- then there will be a layer there just in case, and this is convenient anyway for cleaning hair as you are going to get a lot more hair off her as she gets older (now she only has her puppy coat). Just stay consistent with her housetraining and keep giving occasional rewards for weeing and pooping as she is supposed to.

Some dogs will go through a more rebellios stage at around this age and you may bneed to really reinforce the husetraining for the next two months or so by doing what you did when first training her -- take her out yourself, treat each time and praise.

Most experienced cavalier people (breeders and longtime owners) will say a dog isn;t totally reliable inside until at least 12 months and often more like 18, so keep that in mind.

The one other thing to consider is that dogs that start to pee in innappropriate places, especially soft places like rugs, carpets or furniture, often have a urinary tract infection. As in humans this means they can feel very uncomfortable and have to go and anytime a dog (or cat) starts to toilet incorrectly it usually is a sign of distress unless the dog or cat isn;t yet fully housetrained.

So I would keep an eye on her as well; if she repeats this I'd get her to the vet to make sure this isn;t a medical issue and not simply training related. A UTI can evolve into a very painful kidney infection if untreated so do keep an eye out for her.

Hope that will help!

Would I be right in saying she had been put there before she had been left out? You mentioned he put her there first thing. If that is the case I reckon she just could not hold it. The first thing everybody has to do in the morning is wee - humans and dogs! I hope you do not think me too forward in suggesting that if this is the case it may be hubbies fault icon_whistling

I forgot to mention that the reason I blamed hubbie is I did that very thing myself. About 3 months ago I put Daisy Boo on our bed without leaving her out and she promptly peed all over it!

:roll: jThanks for the replys and advice.
You are right Joanna . He did put her there before she went out. In fact I had just woken and was in the bathroom. With plans that as soon as I finished what I was doing I was going to let her out.
So you are probably right about hubby. But I thought she should have at least jumped down and start towards the door. :badgrin: :? Maybe I am asking too much. But I thought at 10 months she should know better.
Thanks again

Gillian

I agree Gillian - she should know better but as Karlin said they can have accidents any time up to 18 months. I think as well that they are so excited to see you in the morning that common sense just goes out the window. It really has to be back door first - greeting later :)

My duvets have been in the cleaners so often - I swear I could have bought a new bed.

It was probably just a small accident..... poor girl, if it is a one of not fair on banning her from the sofa's - did your children ever wet themselves by mistake...

Thats the way I feel. Hope my husband will feel the same way. I was an accident as she has only done this once before when she was much younger.

thanks for replies,
Gillian

My husband has forgiven Kayla and she is back on the couch loving him.
thanks everyone.

Regards,
Gillian

So glad he "forgave" her. How can anyone stay mad at a Cavalier? I took Isabelle whom is 8 months old and been potty trained for 3 months to my parents this weekend. I let her out to potty a couple times and right after she came in once, she just peed on the carpet while we were sitting there eating. I was disappointed, but we have to remember, they still aren't fully developed. I'm just thankful the training goes as quickly as it does and we don't have to wait 2 /12 to 3 years like we do our children. LOL :lol:

One of mine wee'd right in the middle of the bed just before I was getting ready for sleep, after a long flight from the US on Saturday. I was soooooo tired but there was this big damp spot! I don't know which it was, and neither has done that for months, even then it was very rare for them to go on the bed. So I had to strip the whole bed, put the duvet in the wash, find blankest and make up the bed again -- I could have throttled them. But of course let them curl up on the bed as always. :lol:

They are over 2 years old, so it happens from time to time... all part of shraing the house with animals sometimes! :roll:

Thanks for all the replies.
I am missing my Kayla today as my son in law is staying home for a few days after having a small operation on his nose. So I dont have Kayla :(
I am the grandma after all. I am going to have to get my own baby.

Back