Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brushing

Post Thanks / Like

Default brushing

What is the best kind of brush to use to get excess hair. So far nothing seems to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A small puppy shouldn't really be shedding much hair -- so if the concern is that nothing is coming off when you brush, it will stay like that for several months more. Enjoy!

My two hate pin slickers so I have a coated pin brush for working on mats and for excess hair and finishing the coat, a boar bristle brush.

For a puppy all you really want is a soft puppy brush to get him used to grooming as you won;t really be grooming much of anything til he's an adult. Mine didn;t start to shed much until they reached 2 years old and got most of their adult coat in (Jaspar's still isn;t fully in).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use an ordinary bristle brush I bought in the pet shop. My father in law is going to pick up a Mason Pearson brush at Crufts for me this week so I'm looking forward to seeing how that works. It's hard to groom them properly when they are so small becasue they are really wriggly. However, if you persist they will start to like it. I brush Daisy Boo every day now and she comes trotting after me and lies down obediently when she sees the brush - she loves it!

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlin
    Mine didn;t start to shed much until they reached 2 years old and got most of their adult coat in (Jaspar's still isn;t fully in).
    Karlin How can you tell that Jaspars's coat isn't still fully in yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta tell you...I love my Mason Pearson. I use that and a comb for knots and they both enjoy being brushed.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Karlin How can you tell that Jaspars's coat isn't still fully in yet.
    Because he only began to actually blow his puppy coat at about 18 months. Up til then the hair was very fine and soft but by then the adult hair which is slightly coarser and shiner and smoother, had started to grow in from his head/spine outwards and downwards. This hasn't reached his lower sides or his legs yet so he still has a kind of fringe of 'wimpy' baby hair that hangs down his sides with his nice shiny adult coat moving that band of hair ever further downwards. he looked really scruffy about 6 months ago when it was just beginning to push at that hair, he always looked like he had pillow hair!

Leo had his adult coat much, much earlier.

I know some of them lose their coat in rapid fashion at around one and that they literally just drop the baby coat as the new one comes in but that doesn;t seem to be what happens in Jaspar's line. I asked some well-known breeders about it and they say some dogs jsut get their coat very slowly so I guess one of them is Jaspar. Good thing he isn;t a show dog or actually, I doubt he could have been given the very slow progression of his coat!
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlin
    he always looked like he had pillow hair!!
    thats Harry now, every day is a bad hair day!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pillow Hair!!!

Hi,
    Great to read all the comments regarding hair. When I got my dog at (3 months) his hair was shiny and slick, now that he is 7 months old his hair looks a mess His ears are fine, but his coat is dull and fluffy. The hair on his back either stands straight up or curls towards the front

Based on y'alls comments this is normal until he is an adult? icon_yikes

Dana

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like he is losing his puppy coat as the adult coat begins to come in. Don't worry, it's normal! The adults can shed their coats as well in this way.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I bought the doglets a Mason Pearson brush and just love it {the natural bristle one}

I also have a comb with rotating teeth, which is brilliant for untangling, also removes some hair.

The other item we have is the torture tool it's a Mars Coat King Stripping Knife, the 22 blade extra fine one I think {without checking!}. It takes out all the dead coat, meaning they shed a lot less. I wouldn't be without it now...it looks viscous, but you can pull it across your own skin and it doesn't cut.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org