• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

brushing

A small puppy shouldn't really be shedding much hair -- so if the concern is that nothing is coming off when you brush, it will stay like that for several months more. Enjoy! :)

My two hate pin slickers so I have a coated pin brush for working on mats and for excess hair and finishing the coat, a boar bristle brush.

For a puppy all you really want is a soft puppy brush to get him used to grooming as you won;t really be grooming much of anything til he's an adult. Mine didn;t start to shed much until they reached 2 years old and got most of their adult coat in (Jaspar's still isn;t fully in).

I use an ordinary bristle brush I bought in the pet shop. My father in law is going to pick up a Mason Pearson brush at Crufts for me this week so I'm looking forward to seeing how that works. It's hard to groom them properly when they are so small becasue they are really wriggly. However, if you persist they will start to like it. I brush Daisy Boo every day now and she comes trotting after me and lies down obediently when she sees the brush - she loves it!

karlin said:
Mine didn;t start to shed much until they reached 2 years old and got most of their adult coat in (Jaspar's still isn;t fully in).

Karlin How can you tell that Jaspars's coat isn't still fully in yet.

Gotta tell you...I love my Mason Pearson. I use that and a comb for knots and they both enjoy being brushed.

Karlin How can you tell that Jaspars's coat isn't still fully in yet.

Because he only began to actually blow his puppy coat at about 18 months. Up til then the hair was very fine and soft but by then the adult hair which is slightly coarser and shiner and smoother, had started to grow in from his head/spine outwards and downwards. This hasn't reached his lower sides or his legs yet so he still has a kind of fringe of 'wimpy' baby hair that hangs down his sides with his nice shiny adult coat moving that band of hair ever further downwards. he looked really scruffy about 6 months ago when it was just beginning to push at that hair, he always looked like he had pillow hair!

Leo had his adult coat much, much earlier.

I know some of them lose their coat in rapid fashion at around one and that they literally just drop the baby coat as the new one comes in but that doesn;t seem to be what happens in Jaspar's line. I asked some well-known breeders about it and they say some dogs jsut get their coat very slowly so I guess one of them is Jaspar. Good thing he isn;t a show dog or actually, I doubt he could have been given the very slow progression of his coat! :)

Pillow Hair!!!

Hi,
Great to read all the comments regarding hair. When I got my dog at (3 months) his hair was shiny and slick, now that he is 7 months old his hair looks a mess :( His ears are fine, but his coat is dull and fluffy. The hair on his back either stands straight up or curls towards the front :shock:

Based on y'alls comments this is normal until he is an adult? icon_yikes

Dana

Sounds like he is losing his puppy coat as the adult coat begins to come in. Don't worry, it's normal! The adults can shed their coats as well in this way.

I bought the doglets a Mason Pearson brush and just love it {the natural bristle one}

I also have a comb with rotating teeth, which is brilliant for untangling, also removes some hair.

The other item we have is the torture tool :lol: it's a Mars Coat King Stripping Knife, the 22 blade extra fine one I think {without checking!}. It takes out all the dead coat, meaning they shed a lot less. I wouldn't be without it now...it looks viscous, but you can pull it across your own skin and it doesn't cut.

Does the rotating comb really work better than regular combs? I have been wondering about getting one. Jaspar really gets tangles fast; his coat is much finer and prone to snarling than Leo's, and he just detests having it brushed and combed (even though I started him on soft puppy brushes!).

My Lottie has hair that is like fairy floss and she is 3 1/2. Unfortunately neither of my girls like to be groomed. I think that it is because they have a bad mother who was not strict enough with them when they were little :oops:
Julie and the girls

Karlin I was really sceptical when people ranted about how wonderful the rotating combs were...until I bought one...and then bought one for my friend too :lol:

I find it so much easier, especially for Rupert - he's not very tolerant of grooming due to his Syringomyelia.

This comb makes it much easier and quicker to groom - it doesn't seem to pull as much.

The one I got is a Mikki one - this has a plastic handle which is easy to hold. You can also get all metal ones which are great as they can be boiled {for sterilising} if necessary.

I got mine from

http://www.hubintsecured.co.uk/acatalog/Combs.html

they have lots of different ones now {knew I shouldn't have looked :( }

This looks very good:

Ferplast GRO 5878 Rotating Teeth Moulting Comb (Ref. 4057)

I have this one but they do different ones too now.
Untangler Super Groom Comb (Ref. 887)

Don't worry Julie, I think we are all like that!! Have you tried rewarding them with treats for standing still and being good?
[/url]

Back