• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crufts on BBC2 now!!

That was fun! I loved the pyrenees in the pastoral class and the newfoundland in the working breeds. I didn't realise malamutes were a rare breed over here; friends of mine had one when I was growing up in the states. Not a very interesting dog actually; it was enormously fat and never seemed to do much! So that has kind of coloured my opinion about them I'm afraid. Pretty dog though.

It was kind of nice to see the older dogs in competition still too. I didn't realise people would show a dog still at 9 and 11 as with two in there tonight!

I can't believe that 22,500 dogs are there. Didn't you long to be in the shopping section though when they showed the guy with all the dog toys? :lol:

The toys or the Toys? :lol:

Sorry it's a sunny lovely day and I'm in a silly mood as it is Friday too... icon_star

I think they are on Saturday. Tonight is terriers and something else.

icon_heartthrob I’m in love with little Bertie the yorkie from the friends for life competition.

Such a sweet little thing.

Yeah I like Bertie too though Yogi is a big sweetie -- actually all the dogs are really nice on the voting competition (which we can;t do from Ireland on the mobile... :cry: ).

Those cavalier puppies were really sweet and that 6 year old was hilarious. No lack of self confidence there...

The range of dogs always amazes me. How can a judge pick just one from the best of group? When they are all so completely different!

One thing I never get about the staffies is how they are one of the show favourites and most popular breeds in the UK ( and Ireland) but also impossible to rehome from shelters. A lot of pounds here in Ireland won;t even rehome them (nor shelters take them in) as they often are too dangerous to have around other dogs and often the wrong type wants to take them. It is really sad to know they come in to the pound weekly and almost always will not get back out. The UK rescues are stuffed full of them all impossible to rehome. I wonder is it just that everyone wants a staffie puppy but no one wants the adults? This breed more than any other has quite serious and ongoing rehoming problems.

PS I know there are very sociable staffies too that get along fine with dogs (they always tedn to be fine with people!) but many people seem to encourage them to be unreliable and aggressive. :?

Where I live you get loads of Staffies but they are not like the true staffs you see on crufts, they are larger and have more of a pitbull shape to them. The main problem is it’s the sort of dog people want and they are not bothered in KC papers, they just want the dog for protection, status or fighting.

So people breed them by the dozens, if the dog is a problem just dump it and get another one. They are very much a throw away dog now.

I think nearly every time I have been at the RSPCA hospital and their have been two staffie owners talking to each other one has always been a breeder.

I have known some wonderfully soppy and silly staffs but the ones I mainly see today are not like that, more because of the people that own then than the dog itself.

I have known some wonderfully soppy and silly staffs but the ones I mainly see today are not like that, more because of the people that own then than the dog itself.

Yes I think this is true and also I can see your points -- the staffie in the group final was so much smaller than the ones I see around here. It is a shame they are bred the way they are and sad people are so willing to abandon them and just get another.

Back