• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

house breaking male dogs

Is it possible to keep a male dog from hiking his leg when he's not being neutered? I am wanting a male to breed, but am very turned off to the hiking leg deal...Any one that doesn't have this problem or it was corrected, please help thanks

Sorry. I only have a female. I have to believe that just comes with the territory of not fixing a sexually developed male, but I could be wrong. Sorry I can't help!! :cry:

chasdel300 said:
Is it possible to keep a male dog from hiking his leg when he's not being neutered? I am wanting a male to breed, but am very turned off to the hiking leg deal...Any one that doesn't have this problem or it was corrected, please help thanks

A male when there are no intact females around---- YES. Diligence

I am getting females thats why I don't want to get his neutered. Both female and male will be living inside the house with me. I just wondered if this is normal or if others with males and females inside have solved the problem,is there hope or do I just stick with females...:)thanks

This is off topic but important, as I don;t know your background as a breeder/person showing:

If you are breeding for the first time, be sure to read Bruce's forum and to test for at minimum, hearts, patellas, hips and eyes and consider MRIs for syringomylia (there's info on the heart breeding protocol in the Health section and the reasons for it). Also as Bruce and other breeders have noted many times; you should be mentored by someone who is showing and breeds for health as well, and be getting involved in showing too, to know the correct breed standard. If you are already involved in these ways, excuse the comments! :)

This is a breed with such a small gene pool and so many health issues (which, in some areas, the breeder can be held liable for) that even more so than would be normal, breeding carries a grave responsibility. Many feel the future of the breed is already at risk so cavaliers need all the health-focused friends they can get. :) icon_thumbsup

Managing unspayed females with an unneutered male in the house takes real diligence BTW. Elsewhere there are a couple of discussions on how long you need to keep a male totally isolated from females in heat -- with is many weeks.

Here's one brief thread: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1315&highlight=

The main discussion I was thinking of was on an email list, I recall now; but experienced breeders were saying the male should be removed from the house for a minimum of 5 weeks; experienced people here may have recommendations. There's another thread here too that point out cases of bitches getting pregnant on the first few and final few days of their heat even though this isn't really supposed to happen.

Though I realise I am the one who shifted the focus here to the topic as it was referred to peripherally, it is such an important subject that I did want to just make those few comments. But any other discussions on breeding are to be taken privately or are more appropriate to a board or list focused on that topic, thanks! icon_thumbsup

The answer is: depends.

At my house, we have 7 intact females and 1 intact male. As long as none of the females are in season, or getting close to coming in season, we don't have a problem. That's mostly due to a lot of work nipping any leg-lifting in the bud very early.

Once a girl comes in season, all the rules can change. We never have both the boy and girl out together; when one is out, the other is always crated, they take turns in their crates. The girl always has the pants on when she is in the house, even if only for a minute. If she gets that scent on anything, the boy will be right there to mark. And the pants are still no guarantee that he won't smell her somewhere and mark. Ideally, we would send our boy off to "camp" when a girl is in season, but we don't, so we keep them separated and just put up with the occaisional marking. It's just part of being a breeder I guess.

If you have been breeding before, then I assume you were getting outside stud service. Perhaps that person can give you some further advice on dealing with a boy in the house with other females; nothing like a face-to-face conversation on the potential problems and solutions. Or, if you are showing, you may be able to get some advice from others after a show. You may be surprised how open other breeders are once they see you at shows and get to know you.

Thank you Karlin, I may just have made up my mind. While trying to decide this, those were some of the questions I had, so thank you for you comments. They were honest and that is what I needed..
This is not the 1st time I'v bred, I'v bred poodles,Yorkie,and my Mom bred Peekinese and I kept the Moms and helped with whelping the Babies, but it will be my 1st time with Cavaliers. I am very much aware of the problems and I do have a mentor,she's just out of town. I have deposit on a female 3 wks old and am looking for a nice Blenheim female to show and breed prospects (any one know of someone I'd love to see them) I got a chance to see a male yesterday but like I said he had this hiking thing going on.And I also have a chance at a 3 week old from a different litter than the female I'm buying. I thought I may be able to teach it not to hike..? .I think I am going to stick with girls and breed to my friends male..I can't see putting the male away for 5 weeks..

You can definitely train a male not to lift, but in my experience the unneutered males remain pretty enthusiastic about doing this in any new house they visit (that's my experience of male rescue cavaliers -- I roll up my rugs before I even let them in the house and they always do their best to annoint ends of furniture, tables and doorframes... :roll: ).

The girl always has the pants on when she is in the house,

Don't we always? :lol:

Thanks Bruce and everyone for your input. You are right I have always gone back to the same stud,but she was in Tennessee.

As for the other response about responsible breeding. I am educating myself on all the health problems with cavaliers. I am very serious about wanting the best for my babies. and their babies, I would never even let my stud (should I get him ) bred unless I see health certif on them. Thanks for the reinterating though..

Back