• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Egg Yolk

Linda

Can anyone tell me how often you give your furkids egg yolk.
I know my breeder used to mix it in Dudleys food when I first got him, but I can't remember how often I can give it to him.

I added just the yolk of an egg to his food tonight and he devoured it.
I know that it is good for the coat.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I give my billy a boiled egg about twice a week and he loves them. I dont think there is any limit to how often you give it to them. but but personally I wouldn't go for more than twice a week or they will expect it all the time and then they will refuse to eat their regular food.

Do you mean raw yolk or cooked? I feel comfortable giving my dogs two cooked eggs per week. Sandy

WoodHaven said:
Do you mean raw yolk or cooked? I feel comfortable giving my dogs two cooked eggs per week. Sandy

Sandy:
Dudley eats Raw food
So yes preferably Raw Egg Yolk.
But if that is not good for him I would cook it and put it in his food. I heard that it is good for the coat.

I'm really inexperienced with food--for humans or dogs. I'm curious why you're only talking about the yolk. What's wrong with the whites?

Linda said:
WoodHaven said:

Sandy:
Dudley eats Raw food
But if that is not good for him I would cook it and put it in his food. I heard that it is good for the coat.

I just wouldn't feed him ONLY raw egg white. I usually <very> soft scramble some eggs and divide it up -- or I put raw yolks in "satin balls". Raw egg is as repugnant to me as raw liver. Sandy

WoodHaven said:
Linda said:
WoodHaven said:

Sandy:
Dudley eats Raw food

I just wouldn't feed him ONLY raw egg white. I usually <very> soft scramble some eggs and divide it up -- or I put raw yolks in "satin balls". Raw egg is as repugnant to me as raw liver. Sandy

Sandy

I mixed it in well with his veggies, hamburger, pumpkin, EVO and
a little of 1st choice kibble. If you think it is better to cook it that is
what I will do. I sometimes cook the hamburger a little too.

I just recall that when I first got Dudley as a puppy, she had given me the
recipe to make his food and raw egg yolk was one of them.

I have'nt given him egg yolk for a long long time, but just decided to try it tonight.
What are Satin Balls ???????????

Moviedust said:
I'm really inexperienced with food--for humans or dogs. I'm curious why you're only talking about the yolk. What's wrong with the whites?

It has been said::: Raw egg white contains a protein that binds to Biotin and doesn't allow it to be absorbed. Raw egg yolk is said to provide enough biotin that it balances out the issue. So whole raw eggs seem to be ok <but yuck-- it gets in their ear hair -- eww>. Cooking changes the egg white issue altogether.
Enough people have mentioned this to me to think there may be some truth to it. Sandy

Linda said:
I have'nt given him egg yolk for a long long time, but just decided to try it tonight.
What are Satin Balls ???????????

Satin balls are made for dogs that don't have great appetites... if you need to put some weight on your dog.
http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

I use a variation of the above receipe-- I don't use all their ingredients--

I use good hamburger <If I wouldn't eat it-- my dogs don't get it in these either> I use EVOO <extra virgin olive oil> I don't use the egg white or shell.I don't put in the gelatin either- I don't use the oatmeal.

When I have pills to give, a picky eater, or a dog that needs some weight-- I just thaw some of these meatballs from the freezer. Sandy

Thanks for that recipe; I know it gets mentioned from time to time; someone on a list somewhere seems to be searching for it every few months! So I've added the link to the Caring for your Cavalier section.

Back in the 60s my parents were advised to give our pyrenees a raw egg from time to time for her coat so the raw egg advice has been around a long time. she always liked them! I suppose you could give a raw yolk and cook the white, too!

Thanks for sharing this recipe - I'm confused by a few of the ingredients though, does anyone know the UK equivalents?

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind] - I presume this is minced beef?
1 lg. box of Total cereal? - I don't think we have this - is it wheat?

1 jar of wheat germ - not too sure what form this is in, perhaps available from the health food shop?

Thanks in advance - probably me being Stoopid :oops:

Nicki said:
Thanks for sharing this recipe - I'm confused by a few of the ingredients though, does anyone know the UK equivalents?

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind] - I presume this is minced beef?
1 lg. box of Total cereal? - I don't think we have this - is it wheat?

1 jar of wheat germ - not too sure what form this is in, perhaps available from the health food shop?

Thanks in advance - probably me being Stoopid :oops:

No you aren't being stoopid <smile>. I just found Typhoo <giggle> and I really like it-- it is English tea and it is good.

Yes, ground beef is minced beef-- don't get the low fat versions-- I get ground chuck or round that has 15-20% fat.
Total cereal is a whole grain wheat flake breakfast cereal that has 100% of the recommended daily allowance of 12 vitamins and minerals-- it is made by General Mills in the US.
Wheat germ is sold here in the breakfast aisle-- I believe you can find it in a health food store too.
I have never had a dog turn these down. And yes occasionally I have a dog that does get a little too thin. Sandy

Nicki a lot of UK stores sell wheat germ in a jar from the US, Kreschmers (sp?) right in with the cereals. For Total you could substitute any of the multigrain flakes or Special K. Lidl does a multigrain that I like for example! Any health food shop would likely sell wheat germ too.

Thanks Sandy and Karlin - TedBear is not a great eater, and could do with at least another 1/2 kg on him, so would love to give this a try.

What does the the egg shell do for them ????
So I just made a batch of food for Dudley yesterday and would'nt you
know it the one asking about the the egg yolks, I forgot to put them in.
I pulverized the veggies as I read pulverized veggies are better for them
they get more nutrients from them this way.
Correct me if I am wrong.

I am finding though he prefers the hamburger cooked which is fine
as I mix it in with his kibble.
Fussy Boy, or should I say more like controlling Boy.
This boy has been playing mind games with me since I got him, when
we give him a raw neck he will not eat his food again.
So now he is not getting any necks until he smartens up.
He needs the nutrients in his other food.
That hubby of mine, is always sneakin him stuff.

Linda said:

Training the dogs is the easy bit, it's training the husbands that we struggle wtih :lol: :lol:

OK now you're going to think I'm really thick, 'cos I had a bag of wheatgerm in the cupboard the whole time :oops: icon_whistling {having bought it thinking it was bran...}

***I'm not really going on holiday at the weekend, going in for a brain transplant*** :lol: :lol:

SO I now know where to buy the wheatgerm...but it comes in 400g bags...how does this relate to your jar sizes please?

Nicki said:
Linda said:

Training the dogs is the easy bit, it's training the husbands that we struggle wtih :lol: :lol:

OK now you're going to think I'm really thick, 'cos I had a bag of wheatgerm in the cupboard the whole time :oops: icon_whistling {having bought it thinking it was bran...}

***I'm not really going on holiday at the weekend, going in for a brain transplant*** :lol: :lol:

SO I now know where to buy the wheatgerm...but it comes in 400g bags...how does this relate to your jar sizes please?

You crack me up you Sassy Lassie

Yes training the husbands in more than one thing is a bit of a challenge. icon_yikes icon_yikes

Now Nikki, that is thick come on eh. Is it any wonder why your havin
a brain transplant. :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

Wheatgerm is good for you to you know, put it in your bran and your bowels will be more than fine.

I don't have a jar in the house, but I do believe it is about 200 or 300 gram jar. I am going to the store tonight so I'll have a look and let you know. Put it in your hubbies eggs, no joke I used to when I was mad at him. No Nikki I really did even if I wasn't mad at him, it was the doctor
who told me about wheat germ but I haven't bought it in a while.
I'll buy it tonight just for you luv.

You obviously got my pm ?????

[quote="Linda]

Wheatgerm is good for you to you know, put it in your bran and your bowels will be more than fine.

I don't have a jar in the house, but I do believe it is about 200 or 300 gram jar. I am going to the store tonight so I'll have a look and let you know. Put it in your hubbies eggs, no joke I used to when I was mad at him. No Nikki I really did even if I wasn't mad at him, it was the doctor
who told me about wheat germ but I haven't bought it in a while.
I'll buy it tonight just for you luv.

You obviously got my pm ?????[/quote]

Oh you're a star...it's for your TedBear you realise, so more than worth it :lol:

:oops: I sorted out the bowel problem...Licquorice Allsorts icon_yikes haven't had them in years, but they definitely work :lol: I'm sure you know them too? Over here the main brand is Bertie Bassett.

OK everyone else now thinks I've completely lost the plot icon_whistling

Hubby isn't keen on eggs..maybe that's wise!!

Have now replied to the PM...sorry I get there eventually!

Nikki

I just love you, since it is for Tedbear I will send you cases of it.
But then again, we don't want a little rollie pollie on our hands either.

Everybody loves you Nikki.
I love your sense of humor.

Back