Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Challenging behavior

Post Thanks / Like

First, let me say i'm happy to announce that as of about a week ago, Zack is officially house trained. He finally got it. He has given up using the wee wee pads, even though they are still sitting (wadded up) by the doors. He asks to go outside and he goes potty when he goes out. He was about 20 or 21 weeks old when this happened decisively. Before that, he didn't get it. He usually went potty outside, but mainly because i watched him pretty closely and put him out frequently (i would pick him up and put him out, carrying him affectionately), and also because of the use of the crate, so that when he had been in the crate overnight or while i was at work for 4 hour stretches, then when i put him outside, he was most likely to pee, because of the long wait.

He consistently used the wee wee pads in doors, and i was worried that he was getting the message that it's ok to go in doors, but he has given up the wee wee pads. I won't be surprised if he makes future mistakes, but i can see that he is getting it now. yay.

so, i attribute this successful outcome to:

his age

the crate

catching him in the act of when he on rare occasions peed on the rug instead of on the wee wee pads, so i could communicate that this was not desired behavior, by giving a disgruntled expression and putting him outside and saying "Pee outside."

About crate training, i had heard that dogs are clean animals and will learn to control their bladder and bowels because they don't want to soil their living space. So i think what happens is, as they get older, their concept of their living space expands, and eventually it encompasses the house they live in, and eventually they transfer their crate behavior to the whole house.

I didn't put a lead on Zack when i took him out in the backyard many times a day, but the yard is very small. I always went with him in the beginning and watched him because i wanted to clean up poop right away. I read in a book cleaning it up right away encourages the dog to use the same area. My backyard has ivy and foliage, and if i'm not watching, he could do it in places i would never find. But he tends to go in places where i can see him even when I let him out by himself now.

Anyway, i would say that overall, house training went pretty smoothly. But this is one reason why i chose to get an older puppy (he was 16 weeks when i got him)--because i have a day job and it helped that by the time i got him, he was somewhat crate trained. And his consistent use of the wee wee pads indoors minimized the trauma. Him having diarrhea and very soft stools during the first couple of weeks when he was still going on the rug and not always hitting the wee wee pads made things harder than they would've been without the diarrhea (thank goodness for natures miracle) but generally, house training progress was pretty steady.

Post Thanks / Like

Laura, what you describe with challenging sounds familiar to me too. When i first got Zack, it seemed like he was more willing to come when i called, and as time went on, he got so he would just look at me and not move when i would call him. i wondered if it was because of all the pills i had to force down his throat? But it sounds like it's just normal behavior. My daughter's cavalier does it too. I'm trying to train him with bits of his food as treats now, and i can see some successful results. As far as getting him to go outside, in the beginning i used to carry him out, like it was a fun outing we were going on, "oh boy, lets go outside!" and then put him down, and sit down in a patio chair and watch while he went sniffing around. Hoping he would go potty. So because i'd carry him, there was no challenge. As time went on, when i'd get him up in the morning, get him out of the crate, i'd snuggle with him for a bit, and then say "you want to go outside?" in an excited voice, and i'd say it a few times, and then put him on the floor and start walking toward the door, and he'd go toward the door and go out ahead of me using his own locomotion. But the ways in which he challenges me include coming when i call him and running away when i try to stop him from eating something i'm afraid will hurt him. I don't think he's challenging me so much as just doing what comes naturally, and hopefully in time, i can find ways of teaching him to do what i want instead. Another area where he challenges (but again, i don't think of it exactly as a challenge) is barking at the cat and jumping at her. He just wants to play, he wants her to be a puppy, but it's hard on her and the barking hurts my ears, so i reprimand him a lot about that. He knows i don't like it, but he forgets because he's so excited about her.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your experiences!
    So it sounds like i just have a typical puppy and i just need to be consistent and patient when dealing with these challenges. You know, i guess i just forgot how much work it is to raise a puppy, don't get me wrong i adore Riley, but i haven't had a puppy in quite a while and it just takes more effort than dealing with an adult dog.
    I am really trying to make training fun for him and i think that maybe sometimes he just doesn't get what i mean, but we can work on that.
    It really helps to hear that i am not the only one going through this, that's why i am so grateful for this forum. How wonderful to have other people to share and ask questions with!!
    Riley does learn quickly and since we started Puppy Class he already knows, "sit", "down", and "stand". He learned all that in one week! What a clever little boy!
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes they are a LOT of work! But worth it...
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Judy,

I have seen a number of references to wee wee pads/ housetraining pads etc .... can you please let me know where I can get them and what type are the best?

This is in anticipation of our new arrival ....

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petitchien
    Judy,

I have seen a number of references to wee wee pads/ housetraining pads etc .... can you please let me know where I can get them and what type are the best?

This is in anticipation of our new arrival ....

Thanks
    The kind i have used is made by the Four Paws company, http://www.fourpaws.com/

They have them on Amazon.com and at just about any US pet store that sells wee wee pads bcause they are the dominant brand. I probably chose this brand because they had smaller sizes since when i bougth stuff for Zack, i didnt know what i would need or use and what would turn out not to be useful or necessary. I never trained him to go on them, i just put them down in front of the doors and he was attracted to go on them, i think they have a scent but i haven't looked into how they work. I got the regular size and put down two or three together so he would have a large target to aim for. He would often get his poop part on the pad and part off, but that was diarrhea, where he had to keep straining to get it all out so he moved around a bit. If it had been regular poop it probably all would've gone on the pads. the pads did not allow anything to seep through to the carpet. He didn't always use them, sometimes, he'd go right in the middle of the room far from any pad, but that was the rare exception. He was definitely drawn to go on the pads.

I have no reason to think other brands aren't just as good. I just got that brand because they had so many different sizes to choose from, but i think the technology of all the brands is probably the same. i did a search for Four Paws Wee Wee pads and they are for sale on line many places, and they have them at PetCo, PetSmart and all the big distributors. If you call their phone number they could probably tell you were to find them locally.

congratulations on the coming new arrival

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Judy ... have time yet to look around our local pet stores that we go to .. so now that I know the type and brand, I'll see what they have ...

Appreciate the quick reply ...

Charley (our new arrival) is coming on Sat 24 ..... can't wait ....

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Judy,

Was looking up my past posts to let you know that I was in our local pet store at the weekend and there they were ... the four paws wee wee pads!!!!
    We are only on our second one (Charley only came to us on Sat) and it's working brilliantly ..... We got a pack of 7 and I'm hoping that will do the trick ....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petitchien
    Hey Judy,

Was looking up my past posts to let you know that I was in our local pet store at the weekend and there they were ... the four paws wee wee pads!!!!
    We are only on our second one (Charley only came to us on Sat) and it's working brilliantly ..... We got a pack of 7 and I'm hoping that will do the trick ....
    Congratulations on Charley!

I got 7 the first time too. we went through them pretty fast and i went and got a bigger size, 14 or 30? As time went on we used more because he learned to use them and because i have two doors to the outside and put them in front of both, and because of his diarrhea, he would tend to move during an 'elimination' and spread the wealth around a bit, missing the pad in part, so i put down three or four of them by that door, and two by the other door which is all that would fit. He was using them so regularly that i went through a couple of bags of a larger size, but he stopped using them while I still had/have a lot left over. Today i am glad to have them because it's raining and he's refusing to go outside, so i put some down, but i won't be surprised if he just holds his bladder/bowel and waits. I'll be leaving him for about 4 hours. We did go outside this morning but i wasn't watching him and am not sure if he peed. But it was just barely over a month of using the pads until he gave them up, so that's not so long.

Good luck and have fun!!