• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

age gaps?

I usually recommend waiting until the first pup is at least 6 to 12 months, fully house trained and pretty well obedience trained {ie sits, waits, walks nicely on the lead - if a Cavalier ever does :lol: , good recall} before you add another Cavalier.

It's lovely to have them close together in age, but remember that also means they will be old together, so maybe double the expensive vet bills and heartache at the same time.

By Harry's age, they should be very well bonded with you, but will also enjoy doggie company and someone to play with.

Does Harry have other dogs visit? This will give you an idea of how he would cope with another dog.

Hope this helps, shout if there's anything else you want to know

my neighbour (who we call Harry's nana Latimer) has 2 dogs, Tess an elderly cross breed and Penny a 3 year old yorkie and Harry goes mad when he sees them as he loves to play with them!

Harry is 99% house trianed (all dogs have accidents, harry only soils when he's poorly) he will sit, lie down, roll over, beg and speak on command he's a great little dog but i think he really needs another dog for company

I was really tempted to get another pup right away after we got Cedar. I asked the same question you did. I also contacted a breeder and asked her advice. I took it as a strong sign that the breeder even suggested that I wait until Cedar was fully trained and had gone through most of her puppy stages, which means about one year old.

We followed the breeder's advice--and the advice we received on the boards--and looking back now (Cedar's 8 mo old), I think it was the right decision. Cedar was able to go through two dog classes, earn her CGC, get fixed, and get all the attention she deserves. We still want a second dog, and we've been researching and planning ahead. But when we bring in another pup, it will be a more thoughtful decision for us, rather than based on the fresh emotions stirred up by the first little love bug.

I know everyone's situation is different; my experience may not be similar to your situation at all. Still, it can't hurt to consider all options and take pause before bringing another pup into the family.

I got Leo when Jaspar was 9 months -- mainly as there was a chance of getting a young adult at that time. They are 5 weeks apart in age. The recommendations are for the dog to be at least 12 months, and 18 months is probably better in some ways, say some breeders. I've really enjoyed having the two of them but I will always recommend waiting til one is 12 months at least and I do think 18 months is a little better -- for reasons noted above but also even at a year, the first dog is still very young and not usually firmly trained.

Speaking from my own ability to manage two -- waiting would have definitely been a bit easier. Once I had two it made it VERY difficult to work with just one for training. This was considerably easier because I got a second near-adult -- remember a puppy will take tons of your time and focus again and the first dog's quality time will drop off considerably no matter what you do. That's simply because your focus must be on the puppy for housetraining reasons etc and it is very hard for family to be quite as interested in the existing dog as soon as a puppy comes along. A slightly older, more mature dog is I think far likely to be more confident and mature in such a situation. I'd like to have done further training with Jaspar first and it is really hard to try and train one when the other is around, and you feel bad about leaving one inside or at home and working with the other -- that's just natural 'guilt'!! :)

I think that of course people can bring in a second dog at any time really but there are numerous advantages to waiting at least that first year, especially if the second is a puppy and not an adult.

i would love to offer a home to an older cavalier that who really needs it, but there are very few, if any rescue cavaliers where i live (well not that i know of).

my friend has puppies due to be born today, so i'm possibly going to get one of her pups, so i'm looking at harry being 14 months old when we bring a pup home.

We got Sophie when Lottie was 16 months old and Sophie was a 4 month old puppy. We were lucky as we didn't really have any adjustment problems but I do agree with Karlin - it is hard to take one somewhere without the other- even to the vet!!! We are lucky that the vet doesn't mind them both coming along although only one might need treatment. He said that it is good that they can learn that going to the vet isn't always bad.We also had the reassurance from the breeder that she would have the puppy back if it didn't work out. (They actually have the same mum). I love having my 2 babies
:D Julie and the girls

My girls are only 2 months apart and we couldn't be happier with them. They have such fun together and are a constant source of entertainment. I think much depends on how much time you have to devote to them and their training. My husband and I both home office so it has worked out really well for us. I think if we both worked away from home it might not have turned out so well. I think there are valid points to both sides of the issue, so it boils down to what works best for the individual.

Either way, 2 (or more) are more than twice the fun!

JaneB

We got Twinkle when Daisy Boo was six months old and it worked out really well. They really seem to love each other. It was hard work though and it is only now, after nine weeks that Twinkle has setttled and will cuddle in bed with us rather than demand we play with her at 6 in the morning :roll:

pups were born last night (found out about an hour ago)

she had 2 tri's males, a blenhiem male and a blenheim female.

i'm going to see the blenheim male icon_whistling

What are you going to call him ??? Might as well ask you that now because you will definitely get him. Nobody just looks :lol:

Back