• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potty training

LINDA CROSS

Hi, Bailey seems to be doing fine except potty training. I can take him outside and then he comes right back in and goes on the floor. Can any body help me?

As soon as Holly wakes up she'll need to go to the toilet. I bring her outside, closing the door behind me and wait with her till she goes. Then praise her.
Yvonne

Wish I had some good advice for you at 5 1/2 months Robbie is not 100 % on going potty outside...He seemed to take alot longer to learn where to potty them my lab (of course that was 8 years ago so I may have forgotten how long it took)..Robbie always went poo outside from the time he came home but would do the same thing as Bailey we would go outside for 15 20 minutes to potty and nothing..then we would come in and within 5 minutes would be pottying...He slowly got the idea..Now he slept thru the night since he came home getting up around 6:30 to potty..but the last week or so he's decided he needs to get up around 4 to go potty...arrggghhhh and yawn..

Hi Linda,
I think the best advice is to stay outside with him until the cold gets the better of him and he has to go. Then loads of praise. I find that the cavaliers can be quite precious if it's raining or too cold for them.
Joanna

Boy do you have that right, Joanna. My girls hate the cold and rain. Fauna is 100% in good weather but will have an accident when it's raining or too cold. Fortunately, we started her training when the weather was still nice. Flora, on the other hand, is a challenge. She will go out with the other dogs but races around and hurries back in - even if I stand outside with her! I could stay outside until the seasons change to no avail. Give her a warm day and she's wonderful - even goes to the door to ask to be let out! Hang in there, Linda, it just takes time and consistancy. Oh, did I mention patience?? :lol:

JaneB

Linda: What are you doing after you bring him in and he has done his
business on the floor.
I remember when we got Dudley it was around this time of year
2 years ago.
He trained very very quickly, remember once he has done his
business on the floor tell him a Firm No Potty outside and pick
him up and put him outside again and again and again.
He will get the hang of it.
I never crate trained, by husband built a 6ft x 4ft pen and we
had rolls of paper we put down just for the first week until he got
used to us. The main reason for the pen was to keep all the
daycare children's hands away as I was scared that they were
going to hurt him.
Put him outside, everytime he has an accident, and praise him
praise him all the time everytime he has done his business outside.

Back