Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: update on Zack

Post Thanks / Like

Default update on Zack

i think, and cautiously hope, that zack is doing better. at least i don't think he's had the vomiting for several days, whereas he was having it every other day up until around Thursday, and he was refusing food on Saturday, but since then he's seemed normal. i keep expecting him to get sick again, but i hope not. he's been eating nothing but boiled chicken and minute rice since Saturday night, small servings. he's hungry a lot whereas he wasn't before the vomiting thing started.

although he's doing better we had a health crisis last night--the holistic vet i saw on last saturday gave me a de worming medication, Drontal Plus, to give him. I postponed it til last night because he was on too many medications at once, but now he's off everything except the Tylan that his other vet gave him to go with the Drontal because Drontal, she said, can cause diarrhea and the tylan will treat or minimize diarrhea. So, last night i gave him the Drontal Plus and he had a strong reaction to it, he became really restless and nervous and agitated, very hyper, doing all kinds of behaviors he doesn't usually do, climbing on the table, climbing other things, trying to eat everything, laying on me but being really jumpy, and not at all sleepy, the boy was wired. and it was late and it was going on for hours and hours and i had to work today, and it was like 2am and he was not sleepy at all but i tried to go to bed, put him in his crate, but i knew taht it wouldn't work. He only goes to sleep in his crate at night because he's so sleepy. but last night he couldn't sleep and he was so agitated, he needed the contact with me. I knew that, but also needed to get some sleep, i could not get out of what i had to do at work today. it was awful because there was no end in sight, hours went buy quickly and nothing changed, he was just running around and then laying on me like he wanted to sleep but he couldn't relax. around 4am i tried again, but he started crying and then he was howling and then he was barking, i was trying to give it 15 minutes to see if he would settle down because he was seeming a little more still and quiet before i put him to bed, poor little guy, he was tired and wanted to sleep. but i live in an aparment and have neighbors and i couldn't wait 15 minutes. anyway, i know zack wouldn't be doing that if he could help it. he was just reacting to how he felt. finally he really did start relaxing, his eyes stayed closed even if there was a little noise in the room instead of getting startled. so around a quarter to 5, i put him in his crate along with a bag of rice covered in fabric and heated up in the microwave for warmth, and he whimpered once and then was quiet. I was so stressed. i thought he's start barking again. but he didn't. i was tired but i took a sleeping pill and got two hours sleep.
    i'm sure glad that's over. He's supposed to take the second dose in two weeks. but i don't think so.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Judy

I am so glad that Zack is doing better i also hope that you can now have some well deserved sleep!!

Sarah xx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Judy, I'm so glad the vomiting is better but how awful to have such a bad reaction to Drontal :cry:

You must be exhausted today, so try to get some rest, and I hope that Zack is much better.

Please write down exactly what happened and give it to your vet, and ask them to report it - that's how these companies find out about reactions to drugs.

Also there is no way I would ever give him that again...see if the vet will give you something else, I think Lopatol is supposed to be more gentle on the stomach.

Rupert used to have d and v after worming, that's what first got me interested in complementary medicine. Mine have had homeopathic wormers for years, work fine and we never have any problems with them.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

I can emphathize with you regarding no sleep last night. My Sophi had a stomach ache last night too - she was restless and kept moving around, then sitting up like she was gonna vomit. I actually put a little tiny bit of my antacid on her morning food and tried to figure out what is causing her distress :cry:

So, let's hope we all get a better night's sleep tonight! I'll be thinking about you Judy...

Sheri

Post Thanks / Like

Judy,
    I am worn out just reading about your night with poor Zack. This may sound crazy but it has worked for me when my furry babies have been overwrought. My vet endorses this after she had her technicians try it with dogs that were nervous about staying the night at her clinic. She thought I was kidding her. Believe it or not, if you swaddle your puppy quite tightly in a small blanket, hold them close and sway gently while making a shhhhhshhhh sound, you may find your dog will quiet. After finding this to work on my three grandbabies, I tried it on Beatrice when we first brought her home. Like you, I needed to sleep so I could go to work. I was ready to try anything!!! As silly as it may sound it worked like a dream! I used this same method on both my girls and they love it! From time to time Flora even brings me her "blanket".

JaneB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about all that. You should report back to your vet.

Here's what one of the irish rescues recommends as a very mild and effective wormer. I am posting together a couple of posts from the person:

Using Fenbendazol in a 10% solution

This is the dosage:

1 ml per kg of weight of the dog (or 2.2lbs) dosage a day, for 3-5 days.

Comments:

Fenbendazol is the safest wormer available on the market and is available almost everywhere.

It does come in various strengths but the 10% ratio is perfect.

It is safe to use on cats, in fact the FDA states that it can be used on pups from birth and this is the ONLY wormer that can be used this early.

If I do not know the worming history of the dogs I normally would take a good look at the dogs, the colour of the poo, the condition of the coat and their overall demenour to food. Reluctance to eat is as big an indicator of worms as a animal that gobbles its food. Do not be surprised if you get blood in the faeces, this is not unusual for a heavy burden especially hook worm. They are like leeches and adhere to the lining of the stomach, when they die they leave lesions which need to have time to heal.

Eating its own faeces, whilst being blamed as a bad habit (which it can be) is also an indicator of worms, in my opinion this would indicate a burnden of hook worms.

Again if I don't know the history I would worm for three days, possibly five if I feel the burden is severe. The cycle of most worms is about ten days, so I would then give a break for a week and worm again for three days, then a break for a week and worm again for three days.

After this period I would review give a break for two weeks and possible give a fourth worming. This is the regime that we and Edel used for Rainbow and Rafferty, the two gsd pups. Rafferty was so severely affected by worms that he didn't want to eat for nearly three days when Edel had him. They left us for their forever homes, plump and like shiny new pins! The dosage for pups is 1/2ml per kilo.

Fenbendazol not only kills the worms but is one of the few wormers that kill eggs as well.

Once you feel that the worms have been flushed out, Celtic Animal Life Line advise that you worm your dog every three months. Dogs can pick up worms from the ground and get recontaminated very easily.

You can use cattle or horse variety and it is a lot cheaper than the dog version Parazole.

Fenben10 is a cattle drench and is an example there are others.

Panacur 10 is the horse variety and is another example there are others.

DO NOT USE THE SHEEP VARIETY as sometimes these have selenium in them and is not good for woofies

I find that the wormer beginning with D and the one beginning with M is insufficient for dogs with a moderate to severe wormburden and as you and I both know - most woofies coming in haven't been wormed properly. Unfortunately these wormers imply that they are a one hit wonder - this isn't the case with what we are dealing with. Fine as a maintenance regime, but I still use the fenbendazole for that as well. To worm a large severely effected dog thoroughly with tablets (dosing three times) would cost about €60, I know because I have done it. I can thoroughly worm about 30 dogs (various sizes) three times for about €80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    From irishanimals.com board
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahg
    Hi Judy

I am so glad that Zack is doing better i also hope that you can now have some well deserved sleep!!

Sarah xx
    thanks Sarah. I actually was remembering it wrong, i remember now what happened. Monday was the day Zack vomited the tiny bit of chicken i gave him in the morning by hand, and then when i came home at lunch time he had vomited in his crate, and then that night while he was sleeping on my leg, he started vomiting while he was still asleep. So Monday was a really bad day. I expected Tuesday to be good because bad days and good had been alternating for a week or so, and sure enough, Tuesday no vomiting, good appetite. That night i gave him the wormer. Then Wednesday and today, still a good appetite and no vomiting. Maybe his symptoms had been caused by worms?? anyway, the period of being vomit free is shorter than i thought, and i'm still apprehensive and cautious in my optimism. But, I am HAPPY. Maybe being on the chicken and rice has helped him. Around the same time the vomiting stopped, so did his frequent scratching. I'm happy about that too. Since i got him, he's never scratched as little as he's scratching now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki
    ...Rupert used to have d and v after worming, that's what first got me interested in complementary medicine. Mine have had homeopathic wormers for years, work fine and we never have any problems with them.

Nikki, i would like to find out more about homeopathic wormers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sramirez
    I can emphathize with you regarding no sleep last night. My Sophi had a stomach ache last night too - she was restless and kept moving around, then sitting up like she was gonna vomit. I actually put a little tiny bit of my antacid on her morning food and tried to figure out what is causing her distress :cry:

So, let's hope we all get a better night's sleep tonight! I'll be thinking about you Judy...

Sheri
    Thanks Sheri. Is Sophi OK?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaneB
    Judy,
    I am worn out just reading about your night with poor Zack. This may sound crazy but it has worked for me when my furry babies have been overwrought. My vet endorses this after she had her technicians try it with dogs that were nervous about staying the night at her clinic. She thought I was kidding her. Believe it or not, if you swaddle your puppy quite tightly in a small blanket, hold them close and sway gently while making a shhhhhshhhh sound, you may find your dog will quiet. After finding this to work on my three grandbabies, I tried it on Beatrice when we first brought her home. Like you, I needed to sleep so I could go to work. I was ready to try anything!!! As silly as it may sound it worked like a dream! I used this same method on both my girls and they love it! From time to time Flora even brings me her "blanket".

JaneB
    Jane, what wonderful imagery, swaddled puppies being rocked. It sounds lovely. haha. Flora bringing you her blanket, how cute. I will try that.