• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Canidae?

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had a problem feeding Canidae before (esp. with a puppy)? I switched Buddy to it a few weeks ago and he started to come down with really bad diarrhea a few days ago. I stopped feeding him his normal food for a day, began the next when he seemed better, but then the diarrhea started up again. I read that some dogs have a problem digesting some of the extra meat proteins- I also noticed that Buddy's poos looked like largely undigested food.

Maybe I should switch again to something more simple- any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Jackie

No- I have had issues with a couple of other foods-- but not canidae. They now have a chicken and rice canidae that may work. The original formula has four types of meat- Sandy

what were you feeding buddy before you switched to canidae? i'm understanding you to say he was doing fine on that. why not feed him that?

i'm new to this whole subject, and very interested in it because zack has had chronic diarrhea. When you switch a dog's food, how long does it take for a reaction to show, if there's going to be a reaction? If you started canidae a few weeks ago and diarrhea started a few days ago, would Canidae be the cause of that? I mean, wouldn't the diarrhea start sooner if it was the Canidae? Or can it take weeks for their to be a reaction?

He was on Royal Canin- but he hated it! And I didn't like it so much either- it was kind of dying the fur around his mouth pink (b/c of the beet pulp, I think). There is a possibility he just developed an allergy to something in the Canidae- I really don't know why all of the sudden he has diarrhea, but I have noticed for the past week or two that his stools look very grainy, like he wasn't fully digesting it.

oh. i can see why you switched if he hated it. i've given zack canidae kibble and he definitely seemed to like it. like you, i'm looking for something that doesn't cause diarrhea. I have no idea if Zack would get diarrhea from Canidae because he had diarrhea on the day i got him and was on innova puppy kibble then. i hope whatever buddy has will go away soon.

There could be a lot of reasons for diarrhea and not necessarily food related. For any puppy, if it continues more than a couple of days, get him to the vet -- diarrhea can dangerously dehydrate a puppy or young dog in particular very quickly.

That said -- puppies often get a short bout of the runs. Try giving a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (the plain pumpkin not the stuff with all the pie spices in it). You can safely give this daily -- it tends to firm up stools for minor tummy upsets.

There are so many ways they could eat something that would upset their stomach. Mine are hoovers on walks for example. Some treats may not sit well as may some table scraps and there are certain foods that are not too safe for dogs that could cause problems, from onions to raisins/grapes (the latter can be very dangerous). So I would just keep an eye and not worry that it is the food unless this turns into (or has turned into?) a consistent problem. I'd give him a 24 hour fast first, then try a week of just rice and boiled chicken, then try adding back in his kibble. If the kibble seems to start problems again, better to use something else. There are so many dry foods out there now of good quality in N. America that you are really spoiled for choice. :) Wish we got half that number over here!

How slowly did you introduce the new food? Sudden changes in diet can also result in upset stomach and digestion problems.

I've been using Canidae for both my puppies and have had great success with it. The newer version with chicken and rice seems to be the best. My breeder has used it exclusively for some time which is how I ran on to it. Sometimes it can take a while for their stools to normalize if you change their foods too quickly. My girls are like Karlin's kids, they eat anything that doesn't eat them first! icon_yikes And of course, they pay dearly for their actions. A small amount of cottage cheese seems to help if they have upset tummies and cures the problem. As Karlin suggested, get him to the vet if it continues. These little guys can get dehydrated so quickly. Keep us posted on your little guy's progress.

JaneB

Hi JaneB. Just wante to ask you how old your Black and Tan Cav is. and how much she weighs. She looks exactly like my Kayla. I Was wondering as Kayla is 10 months old and weighs 10lbs.
Thanks
Gillian

We got back from the vet- even after a day on rice and chicken, Buddy was still having problems- they are doing a stool test and should have the results back by tomorrow.

They are not sure yet was is causing the problem, but he is on a med to heal his colon and they had to give him a fluid treatment. SInce he's been sick, Buddy has been very reluctant to drink anything- I have to sneak water into everything he eats! They ruled out the food switch since it has been several weeks since I changed him.

Poor little guy is asleep now, I feel so bad for him. His tummy was grumbling all night and he slept curled up in a ball instead of his usual snuggling under my chin :cry:

Nutty-Buddy said:
We got back from the vet- even after a day on rice and chicken, Buddy was still having problems- they are doing a stool test and should have the results back by tomorrow.

They are not sure yet was is causing the problem, but he is on a med to heal his colon and they had to give him a fluid treatment. SInce he's been sick, Buddy has been very reluctant to drink anything- I have to sneak water into everything he eats! They ruled out the food switch since it has been several weeks since I changed him.

Poor little guy is asleep now, I feel so bad for him. His tummy was grumbling all night and he slept curled up in a ball instead of his usual snuggling under my chin :cry:

aw, i'm sorry to hear about this. it sounds exactly like what zack and i have just been through and it's been so stressful and traumatic for me. zack would not eat or drink, and his stomach made loud noises, so loud that a couple of times, i thought it was the cat meowing. He slept curled up in a little ball all the time.

he was on nothing but boiled chicken and white rice for two and a half days before he started doing better in terms of the vomiting. I can't say for sure it was because of the chicken and rice because he on the day that he decidedly stopped vomiting and losing his appetite he also received Dontral Plus de worming medicine and he also started Tylan which is an anti biotic and anti-diarrhea thing which he is still taking, a tiny bit a day, less than 1/16 of a tsp. But almost right away, the boiled chicken and rice seemed to cause much smaller and less loose stool, by the second day, before those medications stared.

the vomiting has stopped for a whole week and the appetite is great, and kibble has been added (chicken and rice, and now gradually changing to duck and rice) but i can't say that the diarrhea/colitis won't come back if i stop the Tylan. All this, and lots of vet bills, and no diagnosis.

the important thing though is to get them feeling better and to stop the problem, diagnosis or no diagnosis. good luck to you and buddy. i'd be very interested to hear about how he's doing and what seems to help.

Back