Thread: Daisy - Tri bitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Daisy - Tri bitch

Daisy is 15 months old - given up by her family. She was living with three small boys and had bitten them a couple of times - but is lovely with Cynthia who is currently looking after her.

Probably best in a home without small children.

Has just started a diet, as she is rather overweight.

Daisy is currently in the Scottish borders.

For more information please e-mail cynthia@nessr.org.uk
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

when you say small kids..... how young?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If a dog is biting children I would not rehome to a family with kids younger than teenagers in the 15-up range and that is surely the case here as well. Any kids younger than 12 can be problematic. Personally I would only home such a dog to an experienced dog home with no kids or adult kids/older teens, willing to get some guidance on her biting; I'm sure that is what is being considered here.

It is not safe to rehome a biting dog known to bite children to any home where kids may be in and out until its possible problems are addressed (eg whether she bit when provoked or otherwise). In the UK, US and Ireland a dog can be immediately seized and pts for having bitten someone particularly a child if reported to welfare authorities, so it would be way too risky for her to be around kids with the likelihood of kids and friends coming in and out of the house. Those are safety basics for both kids and to ensure the dog does indeed get a deserved second chance. icon_thumbsup

I feel really strongly about this type of situation as it is never wise to risk an unfortunate accident and harm on either side of the equation.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i agree Karlin, probably an adults only home so she has the best chance to find a forever family

Good Luck Daisy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Karlin for that - very valid points.

From the dog's perspective, I think she would be happier in a home without children anyway.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry Nicki didn't want to make presumptions but I'm sure rescue is taking those points into consideration already. Most are extremely cautious about rehoming a dog with any biting history even if it was provoked (as is often the case -- you just never know what happened to encourage that situation, if anything...).

The dog looks adorable. I'd take her into my no-kids home! but I'm sure she will have many who offer her a new, loving place. I bet she will be fine with kids with some encouragement, over time. Also I think you never know whether what people say is actually true either. Soemtimes they will pick an excuse that doesn;t make them look bad for getting rid of a dog they find they don;t want -- so always good to take any info with a grain of salt.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com