Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Upset at my Brother

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very Upset at my Brother

He owns a lovely little Blenheim Cavalier girl named Maggie. He got her from a back yard breeder, because he fell in love with my Molly and wanted one of his own, and he and I have had a lot of conversations over the past two years about why that was maybe not the best choice of where to get his dog. But, he seems to have lucked out as she is 2 1/2 years old now and is in very good health, none of the problems that can plague Cavaliers, at least not yet anyway. Well, he called me this past weekend to inform me that Maggie had just given birth to six Cavalier puppies, and did I know anyone who might want a puppy. I was so upset and angry at him that I was just speechless. I had no idea he was planning on breeding, he has no experience with Cavalier breeding, is unsure of the pedigree of his Maggie, I have talked with him on MANY occasions about why it is so important to the health of the breed to avoid indiscriminate breeding practices, and yet he has chosen to produce puppies. I asked him who the sire was, and it is a male that is owned by the person he got Maggie from, who he was told is unrelated to Maggie, but how would he ever know as he does not have access to either dogs pedigree. I am so mad at him I could literally strangle him with my bare hands. With all the grief we have experienced with our Cavaliers (Molly and her knees and hips, and Penny with Episodic Falling Syndrome - and I did my homework BEFORE I got my first Cavalier) I am so afraid for these puppies, who, in my opinion, have two strkes against them right from the start. He says he is not planning on another litter, (Thank God for Small Blessings) and only bred her because he holds this unsubstantiated belief that a female is a better pet if she has had a litter of puppies. Oh, well, I had to vent. This has me so upset. All I can do is pray and hope for the best now.
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

No it gets worse-- you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't assist him in finding homes for these 6 pups. If he makes $$$ easily it will make him do this again. If you don't assist him - the new owners may do exactly what he did-- breed another generation for a cash crop. Sandy -- whose brother bred his GSP --- He was so freaked out <one died in his hands> that he had his female spay within 2 months of giving birth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's what we regularly do in rescue:

Tell him you will help him to rehome BUT that he is to allow you to arrange for his dog to be spayed as soon as the puppies are homed and you want that in writing first. And that you will bring her in to make sure this is done (though you can say to 'help him').

It is exasperating. I would try to home to homes that make a commitment to spay/neuter as well, or consider having him home them through cavalier rescue, who will do this. All the regional rescues are listed in the breed rescue section, the very top post. They should follow through on ensuring the pups end up being neutered and spayed. Why not give the closest regional rescue a ring or email them and discuss the situation and see if you can come up with a good, positive plan?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear the news too . I'm here in Lincoln, so if you need any help with finding homes for the pups, I can sure try to help you out. I'm so concerned that I keep seeing a number of Cavs for sale in our state, and wonder who they all are?

Remember we also have Midwest Cavalier rescue that I am in contact with if any pups need placement homes. Just give me a call - I'm in the Lincoln phone book or at the University (Lincoln).

Sheri Ramirez
    Lincoln, NE

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sheri, that's great -- good that there's a contact now for breed rescue there, as needed. icon_thumbsup
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

If you think he would give the pups up we could have them picked up at any time you needed them placed- or we could help you place them. But if he is already "dealing" with a byb I didn't think he was doing this just for the experience. Sandy
    CKCSC,USA - CMW co-chair for rescue

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I will call my brother this evening and try to start the ball rolling on finding homes for these babies. I thought I would probably have to get involved, as he has already demonstrated a complete disregard for everything I have tried to tell him over the past two years. I will keep everyone posted as this situation progresses. The puppies are only two days old, so it will be a while before they can even be considered as "adoptable". Sheri, I will especially keep you and Midwest Cavalier Rescue in mind as we go through this. The best scenario that I can envision is to turn all these babies over to Rescue as soon as they are old enough. I will need to do some convincing on this, as I think my brother is looking at $$$$'s, as he expressed his delight that there were so many puppies in the litter. (2 boys -1 tri and 1 blenheim, 4 girls - 1 tri, 3 blenheim). AARGHH.
    Donna

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Donna. I would be livid! I feel bad for you because of the emotional connection not just between you and your brother, but between you and the breed. I am afraid he is looking and the $ signs as well, which makes me hesitate to think this won't be the last time he does it. And why turn to the byb you already warned him about? Well I guess I answered my own question. Because no respectable breeder would have allowed the studding. I feel bad for you, but do what you can to make sure they are going to families on a spay/neuter basis.
    Take care! :cry:
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So sorry Donna, hard enough when it's a friend but even worse when it's family.

I haven't anymore advice to offer, think the above is very sensible - especially trying to get her spayed asap.

Thinking of you
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well one approach to the $$$ is to let him know he could be financially liable for producing unhealthy puppies -- that courts do tend to look sympathetically on people who acquire a puppy at significant cost, that then has major health issues and as he hasn;t tested for eyes, hearts, hips, patellas or SM and all of these are known health issues in the breed for which there are tests and protocols, that he could be foooting someone else's $5-10,000 vet bill plus their court costs. There are consumer responsibilities of all sorts once he starts selling items such as puppies and I do hope he will also be reporting the income to the IRS... . You can probably find a little leverage to address this situation.
    Karlin