• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Very Upset at my Brother

He owns a lovely little Blenheim Cavalier girl named Maggie. He got her from a back yard breeder, because he fell in love with my Molly and wanted one of his own, and he and I have had a lot of conversations over the past two years about why that was maybe not the best choice of where to get his dog. But, he seems to have lucked out as she is 2 1/2 years old now and is in very good health, none of the problems that can plague Cavaliers, at least not yet anyway. Well, he called me this past weekend to inform me that Maggie had just given birth to six Cavalier puppies, and did I know anyone who might want a puppy. I was so upset and angry at him that I was just speechless. I had no idea he was planning on breeding, he has no experience with Cavalier breeding, is unsure of the pedigree of his Maggie, I have talked with him on MANY occasions about why it is so important to the health of the breed to avoid indiscriminate breeding practices, and yet he has chosen to produce puppies. I asked him who the sire was, and it is a male that is owned by the person he got Maggie from, who he was told is unrelated to Maggie, but how would he ever know as he does not have access to either dogs pedigree. I am so mad at him I could literally strangle him with my bare hands. With all the grief we have experienced with our Cavaliers (Molly and her knees and hips, and Penny with Episodic Falling Syndrome - and I did my homework BEFORE I got my first Cavalier) I am so afraid for these puppies, who, in my opinion, have two strkes against them right from the start. He says he is not planning on another litter, (Thank God for Small Blessings) and only bred her because he holds this unsubstantiated belief that a female is a better pet if she has had a litter of puppies. Oh, well, I had to vent. This has me so upset. All I can do is pray and hope for the best now.

No it gets worse-- you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don't assist him in finding homes for these 6 pups. If he makes $$$ easily it will make him do this again. If you don't assist him - the new owners may do exactly what he did-- breed another generation for a cash crop. Sandy -- whose brother bred his GSP --- He was so freaked out <one died in his hands> that he had his female spay within 2 months of giving birth.

Here's what we regularly do in rescue:

Tell him you will help him to rehome BUT that he is to allow you to arrange for his dog to be spayed as soon as the puppies are homed and you want that in writing first. And that you will bring her in to make sure this is done (though you can say to 'help him').

It is exasperating. I would try to home to homes that make a commitment to spay/neuter as well, or consider having him home them through cavalier rescue, who will do this. All the regional rescues are listed in the breed rescue section, the very top post. They should follow through on ensuring the pups end up being neutered and spayed. Why not give the closest regional rescue a ring or email them and discuss the situation and see if you can come up with a good, positive plan?

I'm sorry to hear the news too :( . I'm here in Lincoln, so if you need any help with finding homes for the pups, I can sure try to help you out. I'm so concerned that I keep seeing a number of Cavs for sale in our state, and wonder who they all are?

Remember we also have Midwest Cavalier rescue that I am in contact with if any pups need placement homes. Just give me a call - I'm in the Lincoln phone book or at the University (Lincoln).

Sheri Ramirez
Lincoln, NE

Thanks Sheri, that's great -- good that there's a contact now for breed rescue there, as needed. icon_thumbsup

If you think he would give the pups up we could have them picked up at any time you needed them placed- or we could help you place them. But if he is already "dealing" with a byb I didn't think he was doing this just for the experience. Sandy
CKCSC,USA - CMW co-chair for rescue

Thanks guys. I will call my brother this evening and try to start the ball rolling on finding homes for these babies. I thought I would probably have to get involved, as he has already demonstrated a complete disregard for everything I have tried to tell him over the past two years. I will keep everyone posted as this situation progresses. The puppies are only two days old, so it will be a while before they can even be considered as "adoptable". Sheri, I will especially keep you and Midwest Cavalier Rescue in mind as we go through this. The best scenario that I can envision is to turn all these babies over to Rescue as soon as they are old enough. I will need to do some convincing on this, as I think my brother is looking at $$$$'s, as he expressed his delight that there were so many puppies in the litter. (2 boys -1 tri and 1 blenheim, 4 girls - 1 tri, 3 blenheim). AARGHH. :x

Oh Donna. I would be livid! I feel bad for you because of the emotional connection not just between you and your brother, but between you and the breed. I am afraid he is looking and the $ signs as well, which makes me hesitate to think this won't be the last time he does it. And why turn to the byb you already warned him about? Well I guess I answered my own question. Because no respectable breeder would have allowed the studding. I feel bad for you, but do what you can to make sure they are going to families on a spay/neuter basis.
Take care! :cry:

So sorry Donna, hard enough when it's a friend but even worse when it's family.

I haven't anymore advice to offer, think the above is very sensible - especially trying to get her spayed asap.

Thinking of you

Well one approach to the $$$ is to let him know he could be financially liable for producing unhealthy puppies -- that courts do tend to look sympathetically on people who acquire a puppy at significant cost, that then has major health issues and as he hasn;t tested for eyes, hearts, hips, patellas or SM and all of these are known health issues in the breed for which there are tests and protocols, that he could be foooting someone else's $5-10,000 vet bill plus their court costs. There are consumer responsibilities of all sorts once he starts selling items such as puppies and I do hope he will also be reporting the income to the IRS... ;) . You can probably find a little leverage to address this situation.

How frustrating for you!!! I had an aquaintance who was determined to breed her female. Oh she's so cute and everyone tells me I should breed her. I bombarded her with literature and printouts on sm, mvd, patellas, etc. Luckily I didn't lose her as a client in the meantime but I just couldn't sit by and listen to her talk about this. Well, hallelujah, she had her girl spayed and did not breed her. Praise God I got through to someone but it ook over 2 years!!! I can totally feel your aggravation. You might as well be smacking your head on a brick wall, huh?! Lots of good advice above though.

Donna - just get in touch w/me if you need to. Sandy (Woodhaven) is also connected with rescue, so she would be a good contact.

I've seen a couple cavs here in Lincoln at a local pet shop - usually the owner calls me to "stop in and see them" when she gets them in, but won't tell me where they're from (somewhere here in the state).
I just want to break into the store later and steal them :shock:

Since we can't pick our family (wow, that rule really IS true)thank heavens we have good friends we can chat with here :)
Maybe we need a topic forum regarding "the people that make us mad" so we can x-change remarks regarding that - mine would primarily be dumb drivers in our city :p

Sheri Ramirez

I just wanted to update you all on my brothers puppies. After much thought and some encouragement from Sheri Rameriz, I took it upon myself to try to home the puppies. My brother and I carefully calculated his expenses, which came to a little over $2400.00 for the litter, and he agreed that he would sell the puppies for just what he had spent. That was the first and most difficult hurdle. Then we set about finding suitable homes for the babies. All of the puppies have been placed with friends of mine, who either have another Cavalier, or who have been wanting one. All the families know the complete history (such as it is) of the litter, know there is no health guarantee, and have the means to deal with any potential health issues that may come up. (I think I scared a few people with my dire warnings and predictions, :shock: but I wanted to be absolutely certain that the new owners would be prepared for any health issues that may arise, and they they would not balk at what could be considerable costs associated with them). The puppies are nine weeks old and will begin leaving his house this week. The first ones going to their new homes are going to the families who already have a Cavalier, and the last two will be going to their new homes next week. All have had their first shots, and all, except one tri girl, seem to be quite healthy. The one little girl I have concerns about, has a "bunny hop" gait, and I suspect she may have some patella issues. I am quite familiar with this, as my Molly had severe luxating patellas and had to have both knees operated on when she was a little over a year old. So, that little girl has come home to live with me, and we have named her Abby. She stole my heart the first moment I saw her, and giving her to someone else would have been impossible for me. She is a precious thing, and so pretty. My Molly has already started to love her, and spends quite a bit of time laying on the floor allowing little Abby to chew on her ears and tail, and teaching her the manners that every puppy needs to know. My card reader from my digital camera is on the fritz, and I am going to replace it this week, so I will post pictures as soon as I can. This whole thing turned into a labor of love, and I certainly have a new and greater respect for all of you breeders who so carefully place your precious charges. My brothers female has an appointment for her spay operation as soon as the last puppy leaves for its new forever home, so that. as they say, is that. Hopefully I will be able to report that all the puppies remain healty and happy, and since I know ALL the new puppy mommies and daddies, I will be able to keep track as they grow into adulthood. I guess, all is well that ends well. Thank you all for all your support and encouragement and a special thanks to Sheri.

Thank you Donna, for taking the time and effort to deal with these pups in such an honest and caring way. Sandy

Donna, I think you are a star for working so hard in finding homes for these puppies and warning the new owners of the problems they may have (fingers crossed the are fine), instead of them ending up in horrible places.... best of luck to all the new owners and I hope your little one is okay. :flwr:

Wow, you have done a stellar job and you and Sheri make a great team! :) You undertook a very tough situation against the odds. I know I for one will look forward to your pictures and hope Abby will do well. You certainly deserve bouquets of flowers!! :flwr:

Oh Donna - I had to attend a very, very sad funeral today and now you put such a lovely summary of your brother's puppies on the site today. Well, I'm usually a "no cry" person (I'm better at cussin' vs. cryin') but I tell you I've been in tears most of the day :( You're the saint for finding homes for so many of the "little ones" and esp. for taking in Abby. The "thanks" definately goes to you :flwr:

Sheri

Wow! I just caught up on this story and am sooo proud of you! What a wonderful job you've done. Good work ;)

looking forward to seeing pictures of abby. nice work, enjoy your "reward."
I hope her knees will be ok.

Yeah for you and all of the puppies. You have worked so hard for all of those puppies and really have a wonderful outcome. It will be nice for you to be able to watch them grow and especially your new baby Abby. She will have a wonderful life with someone who knows what to expect and give her so much love and any needed care and a lovely big sister to keep her company!!! :D :flwr:
Julie and the girls

Back