• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Harnesses

rhiaaswan

I have a tri cavalier called Henry and he will be 2 in june.
I have been trying to get him a harness that is secure and comfortable when out on walks. The ones which i have tried have either been to easy for him to slip out of, or i feel they might be uncomfortable for him. What do you think is the best option?
Can you recommend a good uk stockist?
Thank you
:)

I use the Puppia Harness on Holly and find it great.
There is a lot of talk about them on this website. Try and do a search.
Yvonne

www.petlondon.co.uk have the two Puppia styles we all like on the board (you can find a whole Puppia thread in the shopping section!). I use the coloured mesh one but some also like the houndstooth one though it is a bit more expensive. I use a medium on a 17lb dog. Here's th link tot he soft (coloured ) harness:

http://www.petlondon.net/shop/acatalog/copy_of_Soft_Harnesses.html

Lupines are noice too if you want something more traditional:

http://www.ultimateanimals.co.uk/acatalog/Lupine_dog_harnesses_harness.html

Thanks for all the info, Keiron and I are trying to work out which one would fit Henry, we think he is inbetween sizes. Will have to try the harness in different sizes.
I don't understand why they don't have the puppia harnesses in shops
e.g. pets at home, its alot easier to check sizing when you can go in a shop and try it on your dog.

I just read somewhere that Harrod's carries Puppia. I think it was on the Puppia Corporate site. Don't know that to be the case but thought I'd let you know.

JaneB

karlin said:
.... I use a medium on a 17lb dog. ...

I'd like to get one for Zack. He is just under 12 pounds. Would a size small be likely to fit him?

I have a medium for Daisy Boo and she would be the same weight as Zack. I can get the small on her but stretched out to the maximum. I would go with the medium.

A small was at maximum settings on a 12 pound dog? That seems strange -- sure it isn't an extra small? I have a small on Leo, who is 15.5 lbs, and there's still plenty of room on it. It would fit Jaspar as well but a bit snug going over his head. Maybe they have resized them!

Puppia is carried in some shops -- note that if you ring ahead you can go visit Pet London, which is just off Oxford Street, so pretty central! Because they are more a dog clothing range, many retailers probably don't think of looking at their full catalogue.

I am going to try a soft harness I saw at Lisa/Tara's training facility in Dublin, too -- it is a step in harness and padded, looks really nice. Once I get one I'll let you guys know what they are like.

I don't know Karlin - maybe it is extra small. I bought it before Christmas for Twinkle and though I can get Daisy Boo into it I think it's a bit too snug. Daisy Boo's is definitely a medium anyway and it's fine. The fact that they are adjustable definitely helps.

That's good to get a different perspective on sizes because Iwouldn;t want people to go and order smalls when they are too small!! Leo can fit a medium too but it is a bit large on him. I guess it is all different body shapes! At Pet London they told me to get two larges but these were huge on both dogs.

i'm looking to get one on eBay and on the auction site they have a size chart but it refers to size rather than weight. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7747485012&fromMakeTrack=true

I will have to measure zack. They don't mention an extra small size. Only small, medium and large. Right now i'm using a Four Paws Safety Seat Vest Harness which is an extra small. http://www.petfooddirect.com:80/store/product_detail.asp?pf_id=1079706&dept_id=801&brand_id=86&Page=

It's a bit loose on Zack, but he doesn't slip out of it, and i'm happy with it, he seems very comfortable, and eager to put his head into it when i pick it up and he knows we're going out.

The one in the picture is red. His is black, and the inside of the chest has soft fleece lining. I would like have a Puppia one because it looks like a soft flexible material. The one i have is lightweight but it's a canvas material, and doesn't stetch or give. It is good for attaching to his car seat though, so he can stand up and lean out the window while being securely attached to the seat. i might just leave it attached to the seat for rides and use the Puppia for just walks.

My Cav is 14 lbs and I just bought her one last week. I got a small and it fits great. The part that goes around the chest is nearly all the way expanded but it fits pretty good.

OK, i bought one of those ones on eBay. They look very flexible in the photos. i've never seen one in person before. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I bought mine off of e-bay too. I am very pleased with it. My dog likes to pull her lead and I had worried about her neck being pulled too much. I really like the Puppia because it takes the strain off of her neck. And it looks cute :lol:

Hi,

Good luck with your harness shopping .... there is plenty of very good advice on here.
I am looking at getting a new harness for our new addition to the family, Charley, in pink with matching puppia collar and lead !!

I have looked at a few online places and there is a huge difference in price...once again www.bowsawowsa.com comes up the cheapest .....

I can get the harness, collar and lead for the same price as just the harness on some other sites !!!

Can't wait to bring Gizmo and Charley out for walks together !!

Back