Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new rescue site

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default My new rescue site

Well. I have been working on a site for Irish Cavalier Rescue where I can refer people for information in Ireland -- it also has info on looking for a puppy (as I don't get puppies thru rescue) and on fostering, as lots of people always have questions about that.

It has taken me AGES to get the files to even show up; all sorts of little glitches. Now at last the site actually appears but the formatting is messed up -- I understand this is due to how the hosting company manages files so I will have to go back and check.

Anyway you can see the basics for the site but I am disappointed I still have to go back and fix all the dingbats appearing all over the place:

http://rescue.cavaliertalk.com/

I swear if the site hadn't popped up this last try I'd have gone and banged my head on the wall somewhere. Working with files and servers and html is such a headache sometimes. Any tiny thing can make everything else not work and you spend ages looking at files til your vision swims, trying to figure out what, logically, is not making sense to the computer.

That said it is actually quite interesting and every project like this, I learn so much from. But I just wish I had a better understanding of basic programming as I'd be able to solve my problems faster!

I'm going to change the dogs available page over to a weblog format as that is easier to post to on the fly -- otherwise I have to repost the whole set of files for a webpage, page which is a pain.

I've also only looked at this so far in Safari (the Mac browser) -- have to check it on other browsers and the PC. And now I am going to bed!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!!! It looks really good. I've never attempted to put up a website. It sounds quite overwhelming. You've done an awesome job w/ this and with the SM site!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Nice design. I like the soft colors and the organization, the way it's not to "busy" and is easy on the eyes. It emphasizes the dogs, visually. I like that. Nice work. good luck figuring the bugs out. On my computer (a Powerbook) it looks the same in Netscape and Firefox as it does in Safari.

Post Thanks / Like

The site looks great Karlin. looks very user friendly.

I was especially pleased to see two of my ex-fosters up there!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You had better pics too! Wonder when Stephen will notice...
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karlin,
    It looks great. Well done. the story about the puppy farm pup was sooo sad.
    Best of luck with it.
    yvonne
    Yvonne

Post Thanks / Like

Site looks great icon_banana

That little freckly girl on the fostering page is just adorable
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm just annoyed at all the little glitches. But they'll be cleaned up and the pages imporved in some other ways -- just thought I'd give the board the first view!

I actually am using Apple's iWeb application to make the pages so I am not creating the basic designs -- I liked this best of the 6 or so templates. They are really easy to use but some hosting servers don't handle the typefaces properly etc so that is part of the problem. I have some suggesitons on how to clean this up though.

It's a cool little programme but still requires a LOT of basic knowledge to get it to do anything slightly different from what is offered in the basic template. That's where the challenge is coming from, for me.

K.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

What a great site, nice job!!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin:

Your site is awesome Alot of work, but alot of reward if even just one person is touched by your work & finds the cavalier of their dreams!

I've had one rescue and now a re-homed ole' girl and I couldn't have loved either of them more than if they'd lived with us forever

Sheri