Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worried about Isabelle........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worried about Isabelle........

She has been fully potty trained for several months. Last week she started peeing in the house. I thought it may have something to do with her going into heat. Well now she is peeing CONSTANTLY. Seems to even be straining just to pee. The odor is a very strong tuna type of smell. We are getting her into the vet today. Worried it could be a bladder or kidney problem. Anyone experienced this before? I'm very worried about her. She's been eating and drinking like normal. Nothing else suggests she's sick or not feeling well. :cry:
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like

oh poor baby, sounds like a urine infection
    sending big hugs to her

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like either a urine or kidney infection. She'll feel better once she's seen the vet!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

You both really reassured me this could be something easily fixed. I feel horrible now at the number of times we yelled "No No" at her and placed her outside. We'll see what happens at the vet. It never occurred to me the last few days she might have an infection. We only noticed yesterday when we met the breeders and she must have tinkled at least 15 times in 2 hours. The breeder mentioned maybe there was a kidney problem. It should have occurred to me there could be a problem when she was only peeing inside and not pooping inside and how often she was doing it. My stomach really hurts. :cry:
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely a bladder infection. Rod bacteria from the smell of it.

She'll feel better with some antibiotics. Poor girl!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my update. Shawn called the vet. They wanted a urine sample. Shawn said "how in the heck to I get a urine sample when she so small and short I can't get something under her". Receptionist spoke with the vet. Apparently the sample wouldn't do much good since she's in heat and there would be droppings of blood in her urine from that. SO, they just told him to come in and they'd give him antibiotics. I will keep you posted in the next couple days....... Thanks all! I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!!!
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just a general comment: My vets give out a small syringe and then you have the dog pee on a hard surface like a floor or concrete. Then it is easy to suck up a sample of the urine and it stays in the syringe due to the vacuum crated. You pop it in a bag they provide and drop it in to them. I suppose it can get contaminated but probably not by anything that affects a culture for an infection. With a female you can often sneak a soup ladle under them or a small plate or cup.

Glad she'll get the antibiotics; sounds like you have your diagnosis from the board!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Do any of you experts out there know if there is something we could have done to avoid this? I don't want her to have to go through this again. I just can't figure out how she would have wound up with an infection.
    Kat

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there's anything you did or could have done. I feel like it's not uncommon in a dog following estrus??? Seems like all that discharge from her heat cycle and licking and do you have diaper/panties on her? That might cause it because you're holding all that material up close to her and creating a nice warm environment for bacteria growth right next to their urethra. I dunno. Never had a dog in estrus (heat).

It has a lot to do w/ anatomy of the female, just like us. Shorter tract - easier for stuff to go the wrong way and end up in the bladder and cause infection. It's good yoou caught it quick. It's important to recognize the signs of a UTI so you can treat it quick and get the dog out of discomfort and avoid ascending kidney infections.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Kat

Please, please keep us posted about her.
    Plus she has to deal with the 2 new ones on board at the same time.