• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried about Isabelle........

jennapea

She has been fully potty trained for several months. Last week she started peeing in the house. I thought it may have something to do with her going into heat. Well now she is peeing CONSTANTLY. Seems to even be straining just to pee. The odor is a very strong tuna type of smell. We are getting her into the vet today. Worried it could be a bladder or kidney problem. Anyone experienced this before? I'm very worried about her. She's been eating and drinking like normal. Nothing else suggests she's sick or not feeling well. :cry:

Sounds like either a urine or kidney infection. She'll feel better once she's seen the vet!

You both really reassured me this could be something easily fixed. I feel horrible now at the number of times we yelled "No No" at her and placed her outside. We'll see what happens at the vet. It never occurred to me the last few days she might have an infection. We only noticed yesterday when we met the breeders and she must have tinkled at least 15 times in 2 hours. The breeder mentioned maybe there was a kidney problem. It should have occurred to me there could be a problem when she was only peeing inside and not pooping inside and how often she was doing it. My stomach really hurts. :cry:

Most likely a bladder infection. Rod bacteria from the smell of it. ;)

She'll feel better with some antibiotics. Poor girl! :(

Here is my update. Shawn called the vet. They wanted a urine sample. Shawn said "how in the heck to I get a urine sample when she so small and short I can't get something under her". Receptionist spoke with the vet. Apparently the sample wouldn't do much good since she's in heat and there would be droppings of blood in her urine from that. SO, they just told him to come in and they'd give him antibiotics. I will keep you posted in the next couple days....... Thanks all! I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!!! :D

Just a general comment: My vets give out a small syringe and then you have the dog pee on a hard surface like a floor or concrete. Then it is easy to suck up a sample of the urine and it stays in the syringe due to the vacuum crated. You pop it in a bag they provide and drop it in to them. I suppose it can get contaminated but probably not by anything that affects a culture for an infection. With a female you can often sneak a soup ladle under them or a small plate or cup.

Glad she'll get the antibiotics; sounds like you have your diagnosis from the board!
:)

Do any of you experts out there know if there is something we could have done to avoid this? I don't want her to have to go through this again. :( I just can't figure out how she would have wound up with an infection.

I don't think there's anything you did or could have done. I feel like it's not uncommon in a dog following estrus??? Seems like all that discharge from her heat cycle and licking and do you have diaper/panties on her? That might cause it because you're holding all that material up close to her and creating a nice warm environment for bacteria growth right next to their urethra. I dunno. Never had a dog in estrus (heat). ;)

It has a lot to do w/ anatomy of the female, just like us. Shorter tract - easier for stuff to go the wrong way and end up in the bladder and cause infection. It's good yoou caught it quick. It's important to recognize the signs of a UTI so you can treat it quick and get the dog out of discomfort and avoid ascending kidney infections.

Kat

Please, please keep us posted about her.
Plus she has to deal with the 2 new ones on board at the same time.

Linda said:
Kat

Please, please keep us posted about her.
Plus she has to deal with the 2 new ones on board at the same time.

Yes, I would have thought that was the problem, other than it started a few days before they got there. I also thought the constant peeing could have been from her being in heat, but vet said no. He said about the same thing Rory did about infections, bacteria, etc. We will have her spayed 2 months after this heat and hopefully never have to deal with this again. Poor baby. :cry: I should have known when she'd squat for a minute straight, but only a little bit came out. :oops:

Just a general comment: My vets give out a small syringe and then you have the dog pee on a hard surface like a floor or concrete. Then it is easy to suck up a sample of the urine and it stays in the syringe due to the vacuum crated. You pop it in a bag they provide and drop it in to them. I suppose it can get contaminated but probably not by anything that affects a culture for an infection. With a female you can often sneak a soup ladle under them or a small plate or cup.

Having had to get the dreaded urine sample off a small female dog who was never going to let me stick anything under her while she went.

I found the easies way was to take a tray, cover it in cling film and then start the waiting game of when the dog wants to go.

As soon as they start put the dog on the tray, and then it’s much easier to collect.

You can get what is called a child syringe from a drugs store that can be used to suck up the urine then put the urine in an old but clean tablet bottle to take to the vets.

Poor baby! Shelby had a UTI a couple of months ago. It was hard to detect because she is a "marker". My clue was how often she ran outside like she had to go now. A couple of days on antibiotics and she was fine (of course we did the whole course of antibiotics)

Well Isabelle got her third pill out of 20 today and she is doing MUCH better. She actually rang the windchimes to go outside this morning which she hasn't done in a week. AND when she was outside before she'd stop to pee every couple minutes and nothing would come out. She's not doing that as often now, so it seems it's starting to clear up. We will give the whole course of 10 days of pills, but after 3 there is already a huge improvement.
Thanks all for you caring thoughts and suggestions!! :)

Phew!! what a relief! I'm sure you must feel so much better to see her feeling better! Definitely give her the FULL COURSE. No stopping short or she might get nasty resistent bacteria!

Giving the full course of antibiotics is important for another reason, too -- that people often stop taking or giving pills when they think they (or whoever is taking the course) looks cured of whatever ailed them. The problem is that unless the full course is followed, there's a good chance a few bacteria will survive and produce a new strain of offspring that are increasingly more resistent to the antibiotic. These will be sneezed or coughed or in some other way, introduced back into the environment. This phenomenon makes antiobiotics increasingly less effective and some now totally useless -- and is actually a cause of a serious medical crisis for humans -- because lethal illnesses like tuberculosis and malaria which could once be cured or prevented by a simple course of tablets are now increasingly and in some cases totally resistent to any antibiotic!! icon_yikes

Whether for us, our families or our pets it is really important to complete the full course of any antibiotic to make sure others continue to gain the benefit of these drugs.

I am the biggest offender of this. I NEVER finish my full course when I'm sick. I will make sure we don't forget Isabelle's though. I don't want her having to go through this again if there is anyway to avoid it. Thanks all!

Kat
I am guilty of this too, but even more so my kids.
If I am not literally standing watching them swallow the pill, they won't take it once they start feeling better.
I am going to have them read Karlin's post.
My son suffers from really bad allergies, he takes the medication for
a week once feeling better stops, and within a week he is back to square one. :cry:

Back