• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

TWO new family members

jennapea

We went to pick out our new Cav yesterday. Drove 3 hours to meet the breeder between our house and theirs. The kids already had their heart set on one of the rubies. Well my husband fell in love (and so did I) with a big black/tan. He's 4 months and already weighs 10 pounds. My husband tried desperately to talk the kids into the black/tan and couldn't. They were promised they got to decide. So we discussed it with the breeder and her husband and believe it or not, they liked us so much and wanted the brothers to be together, so they worked something out where we could take them both and pay later. (they didn't take checks understandably). :lol:
So their names are Brownie (girls name for their Ruby) and Nanook (our name for the black/tan). I will post pictures in the next couple days. We had a long day of driving yesterday, we are on constant poop and pee duty (it's been constant all over our house, but no complaints, lol) and if you read my other post, we are very concerned about Isabelle right now. So bare with me a day or two until I can get pics taken and downloaded. We have a VERY full plate right now.
We are VERY happy and love these new members, it's just going to take awhile to adjust. Don't know what we were thinking, but Nanook captured our heart. He is the BIGGEST cuddler. That's all he wants to do, yet he's such a big boy. Brownie on the other hand was born in the same litter but is 1/2 Nanooks size and I have a feeling might be neck in neck with Isabelle as far as on the wild side. They had one more ruby I wanted to snatch as well, but we just couldn't do that, of course. Don't think she would have handed over her entire litter on our word. :shock: Anyways, we are in heaven!!! icon_banana

WOW that's a big development! (Lesson NUmber One: never promise your kids a chioice you think you might want to make yourselves... ). :lol: Can't wait to see the pics and hear all the puppy stories you will have. icon_banana

Just read this to my hubby and when it got to the point of you having both pups he said "why am I not surprised" :lol: :lol:

I think we're all just so addicted to our beloved breed :D

Looking forward to seeing the photos, icon_welcome Brownie and Nanook

You really are going to be busy training two pups at once, hopefully the children are old enough to help.

Hope Isabelle will be feeling much better soon too

Nicki said:
Just read this to my hubby and when it got to the point of you having both pups he said "why am I not surprised" :lol: :lol:

You really are going to be busy training two pups at once, hopefully the children are old enough to help.

Hope Isabelle will be feeling much better soon too

Thanks for the good thought for Isabelle Nicki! I will post pics ASAP! Our girls are 5 and 8. The 5 year old is no help. The 8 year old will be a great help the first few days. Once the excitement dies down, I will hear lots of grumbling.
I am just still shoked we walked away with 2, bringing our total to 3. My husband wasn't all for getting Isbelle when we got her, and HE is the one that told me to talk to them about being able to walk away with 2 yesterday. We just giggled all the way home not able to believe what we had just done. We have alot of work ahead of us, but at least we are in this together. When we got Isabelle I was suppose to be the care giver since I wanted the dog, but my how things have changed since she entered our life 6 months ago. I go from no dogs my entire life to 3. Only thing is I keep having this somewhat morbid thought that now that we had 3 dogs all around the same age, if they all have long healthy lives, we could face losing them all around the same time, which is a lot of heartbreak, but hopefully we'll have to cross that road in 10+ years. Isn't that an awful thought???? :(

OMG I CANNOT BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!

Kat:

What happened you softie, you went from 1 to 3
in one day WOW.

Hey Kat that's okay you can eat Kraft dinner for a while it will all be worth it, although I don't think I could do that I don't mean eat Kraft Dinner either. :lol: :lol:

You are very lucky that she made payment arrangement also, hey that
is like going into the hospital to have one human baby and coming home
with 2.
I am stunned, but also very very happy for you.
What happened to the pics you emailed me anyway, I Pm'd you about
it, I could not see them.

Come on you have to at least take one pic and post it, you are going
to hold us all in hostage for days. Just not fair, when you are getting all
of that lovin.
Come on share a little bit. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Boy I don't think I would be that nice to my kids. icon_yikes icon_yikes icon_yikes
Just kiddin you, kids do have a way of getting what they want.
You have definetely proved that.

Linda said:

OMG I CANNOT BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!

Boy I don't think I would be that nice to my kids. icon_yikes icon_yikes icon_yikes
Just kiddin you, kids do have a way of getting what they want.
You have definetely proved that.

Linda, you are too funny! Trust me when I say it wasn't the kids that were the only reason we got two. We promised them the pick, and they made it. Can't help if their father fell in love with another one that he couldn't resist. icon_banana

I honestly have no pics but the ones I tried emailing you last week from the breeder. Shawn took some last night, but worked midnights last night and then was taking care of all the dogs (Isabelle had to go to the vet for a urine/bladder infection) and now he's sleeping. I have to believe several pictures were taken during the day while I've been stuck here at work. I will try to push him to get them downloaded tonight.

The breeder was a wonderful, wonderful lady. I was shocked by her trusting us so much, but we are VERY honest people and maybe she was able to sense that. I also know this is the first time she's never had a waiting list, unfortunately probably due to all the backyard breeders, so maybe she saw it easier to be able to give two a loving home even though she wouldn't see the money for the second Cav that day. I have no idea why she was so kind, but she is a lovely very respectable breeder, and I'm not just saying that because she did us that favor. I did sign an IOU so she could sue us if we didn't pay, so maybe that gave her the reassurance she needed. icon_banana

Kraft mac and cheese for 2 months or more is worth it just to have my 3 Cavs sitting next to me eating with their mouths watering. :D :D We seriously even dipped into the grocery shopping we have for the week, but I have PLENTY of bottles to return. Plus I really need to lose a few pounds. :lol:

My husband has called me a half dozen times today bragging about the one he picked out. This is the man that didn't want a small dog 6 months ago when we got Isabelle. icon_whistling

I promise to get pics ASAP and I will fill everyone in on the story. It's been a hectic 24 hours to say the least!

How wonderful, Kat. Those men!! I know exactly what you are saying. Funny how Cav's really ARE NOT little dogs anymore. I can't wait to see your pictures. Hurry, hurry!!

JaneB

jennapea said:
Shawn took some last night, but worked midnights last night and then was taking care of all the dogs I will try to push him to get them downloaded tonight.

Plus I really need to lose a few pounds. :lol:

My husband has called me a half dozen times today bragging about the one he picked out. This is the man that didn't want a small dog 6 months ago when we got Isabelle. icon_whistling

Kat

That is absolutely no excuse, he had time to phone and brag to you about
the one he picked out.
He sounds like a big pussycat. icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling

Kat you are truly in cavalier heaven now!! How incredibly exciting. And your husbad....oh my gosh...give him a big hug!!! What a wonderful man. Enjoy them and can't wait to see pictures!!

Congratulations on your new puppies you lucky devil and im thinking of Isabelle and i hope she makes a very speedy recovery.

Thank you to everyone! I still don't have those pictures. We were very busy last night trying to spend time with all the pups and kids and we have to be very diligent because even though the two males are only 4 months old, and one got neutered a week ago, they keep trying to mount Isabelle. The one that was neutered is very funny because he can't get to Isabelle because he's too small, so he just humps the air with nothing in front of him. We didn't expect that from him as he's neutered. Is this something they will just always do because it's instinct?? Anyways, have to be very careful, because the one that isn't neutered is big enough to get around Isabelle, but we aren't letting them out of our sight unless we crate them separately. :?

You might consider getting Isabelle into those special panties as a four month old could possibly mate her successfully if she is still in heat (is she over that now?). All it takes is a split second for them to be 'tied' and you cannot physically separate them once he is mounted like this... to be delicate he kind of inflates and hooks in, and is physically locked to her. The panties at least offer a backup just in case.

PS and we are all dying for those pictures!! :lol:

Hey Kat - Welcome to the 3-dog household!! We too have 3 dogs (the city limit unfortunately) :cry: I have 2 cavs and my daughter who has some disabilities lives in our basement apartment w/her little Lhaso. The neighbors laugh when I walk all 3 at the same time around the neighborhood. They call me the "wagon master" 'cuz I look like I'm managing a team of ponies :)

Now for a word about the food and snack bills - I started just breaking the treats into 3 parts - heck, they don't know if it's a half or whole cookie! Otherwise, I go nuts buying treats - which none of us really need in our house!!

Sheri
Nebraska

OMG it must be mad in your house at the moment. Love the name Nanook - I presume you got that from the Lost Boys? I wish you the best of luck with the new puppies - you'll have a great time.

joanna said:
OMG it must be mad in your house at the moment. Love the name Nanook - I presume you got that from the Lost Boys? I wish you the best of luck with the new puppies - you'll have a great time.

Yes, my husband named his Cav, and he got the name from the Lost Boys! I loved that movie when I was younger, but don't remember the dog's name being Nanook! Nice memory!!! :lol:

Things are quite mad around my house, but wouldn't change it for the world. No accidents in the last 24 hours. Can't say it's because they know how to alert us, because they don't, (except Isabelle, she does ring the windchimes), but we are dilligent about getting them out often enough so it becomes habit. They are 4 months old, so I don't think it's going to be too hard or take too long to train. I was just very impressed we let them all sleep with us again last night and no one got up and made messes while we were zonked out. :D

I promise pics this weekend if not earlier. Husband is working some nights and some days so his sleeping schedule is WAY OFF! :cry:

Oh Kat, What exciting news!!!!!! How lucky are you!!! Can't wait to see pictures of the crew. One to three is a BIG jump. Hope Isabelle is settling down now too. Enjoy your new babies :D
Julie and the girls

jennapea said:
Thank you to everyone! I still don't have those pictures. We were very busy last night trying to spend time with all the pups and kids and we have to be very diligent because even though the two males are only 4 months old, and one got neutered a week ago, they keep trying to mount Isabelle. The one that was neutered is very funny because he can't get to Isabelle because he's too small, so he just humps the air with nothing in front of him. We didn't expect that from him as he's neutered. Is this something they will just always do because it's instinct?? Anyways, have to be very careful, because the one that isn't neutered is big enough to get around Isabelle, but we aren't letting them out of our sight unless we crate them separately. :?

I'm so jealous! but thanks for the vicarious pleasure. :D sounds like you DID let the kids decide. And one of those kids is a big guy who works strange hours. :lol:

About humping, when i got Zack, there was a female he was playing with, Sophie, and he was trying to hump her, he was 4 months at the time. He hasn't had another dog to play with since then, until last weekend my daughter came over with her spayed 8 month old female cavalier, Belle, and now 5 month old Zack started in with the humping right away. We just told him no in a firm way and he stopped doing it, it took a few times correcting him, and then he was happy just to be playing with her all afternoon. There was an occasional hump from time to time, and we just told him to stop it and he complied. Fortunately we didn't have the risk of an unspayed female.

i loved hearing about your acquisition and eagerly await the photos.

Came across some really cute pics of wholecolours on the weekend and that coupled with your pics has me thinking wholecolours.... torture!! 8)

karlin said:
Came across some really cute pics of wholecolours on the weekend and that coupled with your pics has me thinking wholecolours.... torture!! 8)

Did you see them on a website ????
I told Kat she has me thinking b/t too now.
I can't take this torture either.
I am going nuts waiting for that email/phone call on the litter
expected on Thursday.
What am I going to do over the next few months.

Back