Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2%

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2%

Shelby had her annual exam today and we are of the 2% in which patella surgery was not successful Both of her knees are luxating. There is nothing to be done at this point as surgery (twice) was not successful. Our vet said to keep her on the glycoflex. The good thing is that she is not in any pain and it surely does not slow her down.

She is such a little pistol. I left Jake at home when I took Shelby in. Needless to say...he did not like being left behind. Shelby is just such a happy little girl. I almost forget she's in the car, she's so quiet. When the doctor took her back for her test she was happy to go and didn't look back. When they took Jake back I could hear him crying the whole time "where's my mommy???!!", the doctor said Shelby gave everyone kisses. When it was time to leave she tried to go out the back door of the exam room with the doctor...the heck with going home with mommy.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear this about her poor knees! It must be exasperating for you as the whole process was so involved. I hadn't realised there was a percentage for which it doesn't work (it makes sense of course, but I didn't realise there was a known percentage). From the sound of it it seems she does very well with little affect right now. Can they tighten up over time or is this pretty much where they will stay?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I knew I got my statistic somewhere. I was wrong on the percentage though. It's 8%. Here's the quote:

In a study of medial patella
    luxations repaired surgically (Wilhlhauer, Vasseur, 1987) reported in
    "Small Animal Surgery" 48 of 52 patella luxation repairs worked well and 4
    did not --- which is about 8% of the surgeries in which the outcome was not
    as good as hoped for.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

How disappointing, Cathy. But at least she doesn't seem in pain, thankfully!

rory is like Shelby and will be best friends with anyone and everyone!

Can't wait to see the kids on Sunday!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cathy, sorry to hear this - hugs and hugs to Shelby, hope she keeps mobile....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear this Cathy, how frustrating considering everything you've done. Great to know though that she's not in pain and it's not slowing her down. She sounds so fun, and the Jake stories crack me up, what a momma's boy!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really sorry to hear that.
    Zola has just had her second one done and is just startting to get back to her normal self (started her two 5 minutes walks a day this week)
    So far, everything seems fine. I can't imagine what it would be like if it didn't take.

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Cathy

I am so sorry and upset to hear this about Shelby, she has been through so much and yourself too.
    It is good to know it is not slowing her down at all.
    Love and Hugs for that sweet girl, Oh yeah the Mommies Boy too., ah aren't all those boys human and furry kind the same.
    They are so adorable.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear your news Cathy. Will she be taking some supplement now to try to stave off arthritis? Give her a cuddle for us.
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear your bad news sending good thoughts for her to continue to be comfortable.Lynn