• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2%

Cathy T

Shelby had her annual exam today and we are of the 2% in which patella surgery was not successful Both of her knees are luxating. There is nothing to be done at this point as surgery (twice) was not successful. Our vet said to keep her on the glycoflex. The good thing is that she is not in any pain and it surely does not slow her down.

She is such a little pistol. I left Jake at home when I took Shelby in. Needless to say...he did not like being left behind. Shelby is just such a happy little girl. I almost forget she's in the car, she's so quiet. When the doctor took her back for her test she was happy to go and didn't look back. When they took Jake back I could hear him crying the whole time "where's my mommy???!!", the doctor said Shelby gave everyone kisses. When it was time to leave she tried to go out the back door of the exam room with the doctor...the heck with going home with mommy.

Oh, I'm really sorry to hear this about her poor knees! It must be exasperating for you as the whole process was so involved. I hadn't realised there was a percentage for which it doesn't work (it makes sense of course, but I didn't realise there was a known percentage). From the sound of it it seems she does very well with little affect right now. Can they tighten up over time or is this pretty much where they will stay?

I knew I got my statistic somewhere. I was wrong on the percentage though. It's 8%. Here's the quote:

In a study of medial patella
luxations repaired surgically (Wilhlhauer, Vasseur, 1987) reported in
"Small Animal Surgery" 48 of 52 patella luxation repairs worked well and 4
did not --- which is about 8% of the surgeries in which the outcome was not
as good as hoped for.

How disappointing, Cathy. :( But at least she doesn't seem in pain, thankfully!

rory is like Shelby and will be best friends with anyone and everyone!

Can't wait to see the kids on Sunday!

I'm sorry to hear this Cathy, how frustrating considering everything you've done. Great to know though that she's not in pain and it's not slowing her down. She sounds so fun, and the Jake stories crack me up, what a momma's boy! :lol:

I'm really sorry to hear that.
Zola has just had her second one done and is just startting to get back to her normal self (started her two 5 minutes walks a day this week)
So far, everything seems fine. I can't imagine what it would be like if it didn't take.

Cathy

I am so sorry and upset to hear this about Shelby, she has been through so much and yourself too.
It is good to know it is not slowing her down at all.
Love and Hugs for that sweet girl, Oh yeah the Mommies Boy too., ah aren't all those boys human and furry kind the same.
They are so adorable.

Sorry to hear your news Cathy. Will she be taking some supplement now to try to stave off arthritis? Give her a cuddle for us.
Julie and the girls

Oh Cathy I'm so sorry after everything you've been through :cry:

Big hugs for you and Shelby - and Jake too of course {I have two Momma's boys, TedBear stands on the table in the vets and puts his paws up round my neck :lol: }

There are some very good homoeopathic remedies for arthritis, let me know if you'd like details.

Also as others have suggested, it would be worth supplementing - my two are on a glucosamine and chondriotin {sp? I never get that one right!} supplement.

I've been told though that the best one is Cortaflex, something to do with molecule sizes, I think there's a post on here about that- need to do some more research.

Hoping that Shelby will keep as active and well as possible - I'm sure you already know to keep her weight down.

Sending healing thoughts.

Back