• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My new rescue site

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Well. I have been working on a site for Irish Cavalier Rescue where I can refer people for information in Ireland -- it also has info on looking for a puppy (as I don't get puppies thru rescue) and on fostering, as lots of people always have questions about that.

It has taken me AGES to get the files to even show up; all sorts of little glitches. Now at last the site actually appears but the formatting is messed up -- I understand this is due to how the hosting company manages files so I will have to go back and check.

Anyway you can see the basics for the site but I am disappointed I still have to go back and fix all the dingbats appearing all over the place:

http://rescue.cavaliertalk.com/

I swear if the site hadn't popped up this last try I'd have gone and banged my head on the wall somewhere. Working with files and servers and html is such a headache sometimes. Any tiny thing can make everything else not work and you spend ages looking at files til your vision swims, trying to figure out what, logically, is not making sense to the computer.

That said it is actually quite interesting and every project like this, I learn so much from. But I just wish I had a better understanding of basic programming as I'd be able to solve my problems faster!

I'm going to change the dogs available page over to a weblog format as that is easier to post to on the fly -- otherwise I have to repost the whole set of files for a webpage, page which is a pain.

I've also only looked at this so far in Safari (the Mac browser) -- have to check it on other browsers and the PC. And now I am going to bed!
;)

Nice!!! It looks really good. I've never attempted to put up a website. It sounds quite overwhelming. :shock: You've done an awesome job w/ this and with the SM site! :D

Nice design. I like the soft colors and the organization, the way it's not to "busy" and is easy on the eyes. It emphasizes the dogs, visually. I like that. Nice work. good luck figuring the bugs out. On my computer (a Powerbook) it looks the same in Netscape and Firefox as it does in Safari.

The site looks great Karlin. looks very user friendly.

I was especially pleased to see two of my ex-fosters up there!! :lol:

Hi Karlin,
It looks great. Well done. the story about the puppy farm pup was sooo sad.
Best of luck with it.
yvonne

Site looks great icon_banana

That little freckly girl on the fostering page is just adorable icon_whistling

I'm just annoyed at all the little glitches. But they'll be cleaned up and the pages imporved in some other ways -- just thought I'd give the board the first view!

I actually am using Apple's iWeb application to make the pages so I am not creating the basic designs -- I liked this best of the 6 or so templates. They are really easy to use but some hosting servers don't handle the typefaces properly etc so that is part of the problem. I have some suggesitons on how to clean this up though.

It's a cool little programme but still requires a LOT of basic knowledge to get it to do anything slightly different from what is offered in the basic template. That's where the challenge is coming from, for me.

K.

Karlin:

Your site is awesome :) Alot of work, but alot of reward if even just one person is touched by your work & finds the cavalier of their dreams!

I've had one rescue and now a re-homed ole' girl and I couldn't have loved either of them more than if they'd lived with us forever :D

Sheri

I just wish I'd taken more pictures of the dogs that have come thru and been rehomed. I did a count and it has been around 14-15 in the past year now I think, directly or indirectly. It would be nice to have a 'hall of fame'... :)

Great looking website Karlin, once again I have been caught crying by someone coming into my office...... looking at the Many Tears website.... how can mankind be so cruel.

Great job, Karlin and what a wonderful thing for you to have done. I know that your site will have a positive impact on many people and needy Cavaliers. Maybe some of the folks on this forum, that have taken in a Cav that needed rehoming or fostering, could write a couple of paragraphs about their experiences. I would think that might encourage others to think more positively about the process and would fit in nicely with all that you have already done. Again, kudos for all your efforts!

JaneB

It looks brililant Karlin, well done icon_banana

just had a quick look, but will read through properly soon.

Karlin

What a amazing site, Thank you for giving us the opportunity to browse.
I can just imagine the endless hours and hours or more like months even longer that you dedicated to this site.

It is such a wonderful feeling knowing that when one is not as knowledgeable in regards to Health issues that we have you to turn to.

Thanks for this site and your new Irish Rescue site.

:oops: Please you make me feel embarrassed! :lol: Actually it isn't very difficult to use the templates to make a site but all sorts of hassles always arise when you try to do anything a bit different or host it on your own URL. I'm reowkring the SM site too using these templates but this is a pain if they are going to dispaly incorrectly -- might need to move to a different hosting company. I straightened up the rescue site a bit more and tried a new method of uploading to see if it would work.... but no, still the dingbats. :cry:

I'm really behind on doing some of the things I want to do with the sites, though... this week was a pretty efficient week for me though so I got the time to do some work on the sites and will have more time over the weekend.

The Irish Rescue Site looks great, Karlin. I cannot explain the dingbats. I edit a website, too, and boy do I have problems with it, but so far no dingbats. I think a hall of fame is a great idea, too. Every rescue should have a mug shot. If you had a page of nothing but thumbnail pictures of past rescues, it would convince a lot of buyers to consider adopting.

Rod Russell
Orlando, Florida USA

I solved the cause but not the problem. I've learned it is a server end problem, Rod -- if the hosting company's servers are set to display only western typefaces and not international standard typefaces (which is the Mac default for creating documents) then all the dingbats come up. Hosting services should of course set their servers to international standards as then every browser will show a page correctly. But lots in the west do not.

I've contacted my hosting service to see if they will change their server settings. If they don't I'll just move to a new host. I had this problem with pages created in Word on the Mac and saved in HTML for the SM site, too, but thought it was something in Word.

I'm hoping the very helpful guys at my hosting company will be able to chage the settings generally as this will affetc anyone creating pages on a Mac or any page showing say Chinese or Arabic characters.

Back