• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

why does he do this???

Harry & Heidi's mom

hi,

harry has a feeding bowl and he will tip it up so a small amount of food will fall out and eat the food off the floor :roll: :roll:

now, i've placed a few doggie chocolate drops in the bowl and he ate them from the bowl.... didn't want to waste time i guess :lol:

so why does he do this? is it just a bad habit?? i'm not bothered by it just curious

heather & harry

It's anybody's guess what goes on in those furry little brains :D

We have a girl who is a fussy eater, but if we throw the food on the floor, she'll go nuts eating it as fast as she can.

Hi I'm not sure why he does that but I have a question to add to that one. Billy has a water bowl which is refreshed three or four times a day but he refuses to drink from it and will only drink straight from the Bath tap. It's actually kind of funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy has a water bowl which is refreshed three or four times a day but he refuses to drink from it and will only drink straight from the Bath tap

There are quite a few dogs that won’t drink from still water and will only drink from moving water i.e. the kitchen /bathroom taps.

That program on channel 4 had a dog on there that would only drink from the kitchen tap they bought one of these for the dog and he drunk from it straight away and thankfully left the tap water alone. :lol:

http://www.petsdirect.com/Product_Info.aspx?pCode=DF0753

Isabelle is the same way. She will eat non stop if her food is on the floor, but if she eats from the bowl, she takes one piece, walks away, chews it and then walks back for her next piece of kibble. Very strange, but it's refreshing to know she isn't the only one that perfers it on the floor!! :lol:

You can buy water bowls for cats/dogs that have continuously moving water and a lot of animals, especially cats, prefer this. One reason is water that is sitting still starts to evaporate the chlorine that is in it and it has a chlorine scent for the animal which many don't like. I have three cats that like to drink from moving water eg taps though fresh water is always available and they all drink from the bowl primarily.

I'd be a bit wary about encouraging that kind of behaviour in a dog -- I'd consider buying one of the dog watering fountain thingies as a better option (and a lot easier!).

For example

http://www.hagen.com/uk/cats/addinfo/catit_water_fountain.cfm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006F74L/104-7288656-5807157?v=glance&n=284507

As for putting food on the floor -- it's ofdd isn't it; I have cats that like to lift the dfood piece by piece and eat it from the floor (with cats it is supposed to be because they don't like their whiskers touching the sides of some small food dishes). The dogs only put their food on the floor if they are eating too enthusiastically and it goes over the sides. :lol:

Pixie used to grab a mouthful of food and run off with it to eat...then back for another. I chalked it up to her being the runt of the litter and needing to "protect" her food. As she got older, she stopped. I guess she feels the cats are no threat to her food supply. :D

She also won't eat out of a metal bowl. She'll knock it over and eat the kibble off the floor.

These silly little pups and their quirky behavior!

Jake used to do the same thing with his food. He'd paw at it til it was on the floor and then eat. Not anymore though. He and Shelby both inhale their dinner in under two minutes. As far as the water...if it's not fresh Jake will let me know. He'll go over to the water bowl like he's going to drink, step back and sit down and look at me like "umhmm, may I have fresh please?" and as soon as I put fresh he in he gulps it up. Picky guy!!

Busta is a complete pain - if I put food in his bowl, he will not eat it - I have to wait to Woody or Ozzy finishes then transfer the food from his to theirs and then he will eat if - if he does eat from it he will only eat half completely down one side - it's weird.

Back