• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

In Love With Cavs!!

LawEVS

Hi there! I am currently in the beginning steps of bringing home my very own little Cavalier. I've been in love with these dogs since childhood, and now that I'm 23 and have a steady career and home, I'm ready to start looking. I've been in contact with some breeders in my area, have been reading TONS of books, saving my money, and am looking to bring home a little girl sometime late May. Any info anyonecan pass along to me would be wonderful. I live in New Jersey. This is such a great outlet, and even more a great affirmation after reading all of your wonderful comments that this is the dog I need in my life! Thanks :D

I just want to warn you to make sure you really are dealing with a good breeder, some do talk a good game, if you want to give me or anyone specifics, please private email and we'll give our advice.

Oh Nancy-- I love your signature picture!!

Yes, "LawEVS"- this board is a tremendous resource from the search for a cavalier- health, food, toys, activities to the almost comic "how do you introduce a second cavalier" . You have to be careful: 1. no dog will love you like a cavalier and 2. They are terribly addictive. Sandy

Yeah, that's Graham behind the crazy carrot toy. He's such a stitch. I've recently worked with 2 people who thought they were dealing with good breeders when they weren't so that was behind my warning.

Welcome! icon_welcome How exciting to be getting to the serious search stage for a puppy.

And yes, do contact Nancy as she can offer good advice on finding the right kind of breeder. Others may have some private suggestions too (I like to keep all talk of specific breeders/lines/kennels and their merits or lack of same, to private messages (PMs) except in general chat or breed history conversations or reports on shows :) .... Having been through one experience of a puppy miller threatening to sue, on another board, though she was every inch a puppy mill breeder!).

Welcome to the group, and I know it sounds horrible but please be very careful of who you deal with - luckily there are great people on the group who are great at helping. Good luck.

What I'm seeing is that a lot of people, are getting confused by internet ads, and rightfully so. When they do a search, they don't really know which are good places vs bad, and unfortunately, see more attractive prices from the bad. I will say this , in general, if a puppy is less than $1500, then the breeder is probably bad...it's just the way it goes here in the US> and now in Canada (it used to be better). And $1500 is very unusual. If you were a good breeder and could get that much, you probably would. I've seen so much illness and defects out of the bad, that the money spent upfront is worth not spending after, not to mention the heartache.

Hi, LawEVS! YOu sound like me. ;) I waited 5 years to get my first Cav at 23. They are wonderful. I live out on the other coast (CA) but I'd be happy to give advice on finding a ggood breeder. i think Karlin has some sort of FAQ on this in the FAQ folder??
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30

Please read this on SM and breeding guidelines. A lot of breeders will brush SM off and very few are doing MRIs on breeding dogs to test for it before breeding. But it IS a serious problem. You can't assume that because they don't show symptoms then they don't have it and they won't pass it on. I am more than happy to talk w/ you more about SM and some specific breeders who I know are MRIing.
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=241

Some about puppy mills and bogus registries:
http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=216

Check your local Cavalier Clubs to find registered breeders. The CKCSC has breeding guidelines tht breeders must follow in order to remain in good standing, so see if there are any CKCSC breeders nearby. Don't be afraid to travel far to get your perfect Cav. It will be worth it in the long run.

Good luck and welcome to the board!!!
-kendall

Welcome aboard and good luck in your search! I am in NJ too (northeast by Giant Stadium). Looking forward to learning about your search.

Welcome!!! So happy you found us.

Just a thought:
One often overlooked option might be to adopt one of the rescue dogs through www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org. I know they are very active in your area of the USA. You might want to peruse their website and maybe make contact there. I know they are always looking for great homes - forever or foster. Wishing you luck in your search! You'll know when you find the right one. So glad you are doing your research, it is so easy to "just get one" when you love the breed. Cav's are adictive! :lol:

JaneB

A big welcome to you and you are not alone I am also awaiting
the arrival of my 2nd cavalier around the end of May.

You will never ever regret getting a cavalier.
Male or Female ??????????

Back