Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sprained wrist

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that was quick! Yes it is always the same leg- her left front one. It does hurt when her leg is manipulated. That is how the vet said it was a sprained wrist. Lottie was 3 last August. She has given her 2 Rimadyl a day for 6 days and then one a day for another 6 days and if she wasn't better then they would give her an X-Ray. I haven't noticed any real improvement since Wednesday when she started taking the tablets.
    Would you have let her have the injection in the neck?
    Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

No - I would hold off on the injection only because if it is just a sprain I'd think it would respond to the rimadyl (Which is an non-steroidal antiinflammatory like advil or tylenol). Not sure what she wanted to inject. I don't really think it would hurt, but I don't know. There's a lot we don't know about SM - and I assume that is your concern w/ not wanting the injection in the neck?

If I thought it would make a difference for her and her recovery I'd say do it. But i sounds like she is not responding to the Rimadyl and if it were just a sprain, I think she would. So I think the next step is an x=ray to see if there is more going on there.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all of your advice Kendall. I will make an appointment for the next time that my usual vet is on. He knows her so well. He says she is his "special girl". Yeah you are right- it is the SM that I worried about. No use creating problems if I don't have to- right?
    Thanks again
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forest
    Thanks so much for all of your advice Kendall. I will make an appointment for the next time that my usual vet is on. He knows her so well. He says she is his "special girl". Yeah you are right- it is the SM that I worried about. No use creating problems if I don't have to- right?
    Thanks again
    Julie and the girls

Good. It will be good to have her seen by her regular vet. And I agree about not creating problems if you can avoid it! Even if we're just being overly paranoid -- I think it's OK.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And I think it is important to not coddle dogs because then they are rewarded for this behavior which only exacerbates it and makes it worse.
    Yes agree with this and other comments where the 'drama queen' behaviour can be learned and if we respond by given attention, that rewards the dog and encourages more behaviour of this sort. My remarks apply more to vets who make these kinds of assumptions or are dismissive when we express concern about the possibility of SM, if they have been told by us that it is a serious breed concern, not the extremely rare condition it would otherwise be in other breeds.

The neck does have lots of loose skin and is normally a good place to do injections. Some neurologists recommend avoiding injections into the area around the back of the neck as that is where syrinxes first form. However Leo my SM boy has never been bothered by neck area injections. I do now ask for them to be done elsewhere because I know he has a syrinx in that area.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com