Apologies for the long downtime yesterday; a programme I use to install updates to the board software failed to work on one upgrade and therefore my attempts to get the two upgrades needed failed. I tried to then undo the installs to see if I could get back to where we were but also realised I could just do a clean install of the latest software -- IF I could figure out how to reconnect to the old database and so on.
If worse came to worse I did have a recent board backup -- and for a while it was looking pretty scary -- just a tad over my head in other words! One of the recent upgrades was just incredibly complex, requiring several hours of work to install by hand, and dozens of files. I was very worried I'd miss just one bit of code and it would all go haywire (though as noted I had the backup anyway).
I went to bed at 3:30 this morning thinking through the options. This morning I started in again and did the clean install, which took some time as I always need to read everything -- which is several documents relating to different aspects of this process -- numerous times to be sure I felt able to do the task at hand.
I am delighted to say the board is more or less back and fully up to date now. I have to add back in some minor things -- a modification that auto-resizes avatars for example and the smilies aren't working at the moment but that can be fixed. The clean install of the latest full version of the board should make it run very smoothly. It is always better to work from fresh code than upgraded code! There's also an update coming out soon anyway so I am happoier to be starting with the latests fresh version and not something I have updated 9 times, which would have been the case. That's far more than anyone probably cares to know but someone might be interested in the details of my recent misery.
Hopefully I'll have done the rest of these things later today.