Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Board upgrade complete (nearly!!)

Post Thanks / Like

icon_banana icon_banana
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

We sure appreciate all your hard work, Karlin come on then we would
    actually have to do housework.

Post Thanks / Like

karlin--i've been admiring the new look of the upgrade. The graphics seem sharper. Is that just my imagination?

congratulations on getting through the bulk of it--what a big project! hats off to you for having the adventurous and creative spirit to take it on and make it through. hopefully you've been catching up on your sleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The avatars are sure a bit larger so that may make them look sharper. I also sharpened up the main pic on the home page myself -- took the opportunity to do some housekeeping I'd meant to do for ages.

One change you can see is that the board now tells you at top left what time it is and when your last visit was, which is a nice if small improvement.

What we are all waiting for is the long-awaited major upgrade of this software, version 3.0 (we are on 2.0.19 now). Version 3.0 promises sub-forums (which means subsections within forums, a much better way to organise the library for example so it isn;t just a list of topics). Plus some other new things. No date for release of it though.

This is open source software so you have to do pretty much everything yourself, but there are lots of add-ons etc. I have been looking for a nice template designs that would make the forum itself look a bit more polished but most of the templates are WAY too fussy and basically, designed by boys for the geek and gaming forums with all you might imagine that means. I looked at about 40 different templates last week and didn't like any of them. Some look good but the colours were not quite right -- made the forum a bit harder to read. As a lot of us saw age 20 some time ago, I tend to look for good readability not pale colours or black backgrounds or fussy elements that make forums hard to read.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com